Re: Wine Tank Cars

Jack Mullen

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Wine, unlike vinegar, didn't require wood tanks, and there would
have been some serious structural problems making the joints between
the tank and the ends and dome leakproof.
Why would these "structural problems" have been different
between wine and vinegar tank cars?

Publishers of books on railroad history
Tony,

I don't think that Richard meant that the structural issues relate to wine vs. vinegar. Rather, there are some differences between this car and typical wood vinegar tank cars, that would be issues if the tank is actually of wood construction.

Vinegar cars typically have a small filler hatch, not an expansion dome. How is the joint between two intersecting wood stave cylinders made leakproof?

This car has none of the end bracing typical of horizontal wood tanks. How is the tank anchored against longitudinal movement? Are the heads adequate to resist bursting?

It's not at all clear in the photo, but I don't see anything resembling the multiple wide cradles that typically support a wood tank.

I agree with Richard that this looks like a steel center-anchorage tank car with a wood jacket. Neat looking car anyhow, and I wish we had a better photo.

Jack Mullen