Re: Wine Tank Cars

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 24, 2011, at 2:13 PM, moonmuln wrote:

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Wine, unlike vinegar, didn't require wood tanks, and there would
have been some serious structural problems making the joints between
the tank and the ends and dome leakproof.
Why would these "structural problems" have been different
between wine and vinegar tank cars?

Publishers of books on railroad history
Tony,

I don't think that Richard meant that the structural issues relate
to wine vs. vinegar. Rather, there are some differences between
this car and typical wood vinegar tank cars, that would be issues
if the tank is actually of wood construction.

Vinegar cars typically have a small filler hatch, not an expansion
dome. How is the joint between two intersecting wood stave
cylinders made leakproof?

This car has none of the end bracing typical of horizontal wood
tanks. How is the tank anchored against longitudinal movement? Are
the heads adequate to resist bursting?

It's not at all clear in the photo, but I don't see anything
resembling the multiple wide cradles that typically support a wood
tank.

I agree with Richard that this looks like a steel center-anchorage
tank car with a wood jacket. Neat looking car anyhow, and I wish
we had a better photo.

Jack Mullen
Thanks, Jack. You have succinctly written what I would have wanted
to say.

Richard Hendrickson