Re: Kitbashing


rwitt_2000
 

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

... But then I discovered, when I went to convert it from Code
110 to Code 88 wheels, that the wheels on the model are too small.
The prototype cars, being in passenger service, had 36" wheels, but
the wheels on the model weren't even 33". Replacement 36" Code 88
wheels wouldn't fit until I took the trucks apart and re-machined the
journal bearings. Then when I got the trucks back together I put the
car on the track to check coupler height (something I always do
before a project like this is very far along). Way too high off the
track, and no easy way to fix it. I had to cut down and re-bush the
truck mountings on the bolsters to get the car to ride at the correct
height - and then the screws that hold the side frames to the truck
bolsters interfered with the body bolsters and the wheels dragged on
the crossties. It took a good deal of filing (and, of course,
repainting) before those problems were corrected. ...

Richard,

That is the reason some just move to Proto:87. When we attach
essentially non-scale trucks and couplers to nearly scale size car
bodies we run into clearance problems you describe. :-).

Bob Witt

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.