Re: Pullman drawings @ IRM; was Soo 176356

Robert kirkham

Thanks Dennis - very helpful!

Rob

From: "soolinehistory" <destorzek@...>
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2011 8:21 PM
To: <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Pullman drawings @ IRM; was Soo 176356

--- In STMFC@..., "Rob Kirkham" <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

Hmmm, I'm not familiar with Pullman's freight car drawings. For modelling
purposes, what would be the most useful drawings to order of a car like
this? With CPR drawings a general arrangement mechanical drawing usually
includes sufficient information. Would it be the same with Pullman's
drawings or is another approach required?

Rob Kirkham
Rob,

I am more familiar with the Haskell & Barker drawings we are presently sorting in preparation for cataloging, but have had some P-S drawings copied. Typically there are three large scale (1" = 1'-0")sheets, titled:

General Arrangement
Underframe - Brake Arrangement
Stenciling

And sometimes a fourth detailing the steel members of composite cars.

There are also a myriad of smaller drawings of component parts, but not easy to find because there is no master list of drawings.

Pullman's General Arrangement drawings look exactly like the drawings published in the older CBC's; an end elevation, cross section, partial side elevation / partial section, and a plan view split four ways, showing the roof and sections at three levels down through the car. As I recall, no brake equipment is shown on the General Arrangement drawings.

The Underframe - Brake Arrangement show the brakes as built, so if the car was built with K brakes, that won't be very useful for a later era model, but often the steel details help make sense of what's missing in the Gen. Arrangement drawing.

The Stenciling drawing shows lettering placement, but not the actual lettering shapes. They look close, but keep in mind there were other drawings that actually defined the letters, medallions, etc, so the purpose of the large stenciling drawing was simply placement. The elevations the lettering is placed upon are very simplified drawings.

The Steel Details are the least useful for HO scale modeling, detailing the cross sections of pressings, and dimensioning all the hole punching.

All these are on E or F size sheets, 48" or 60" long. Since the Library scans the originals for reproduction, it is possible to order them at 1/2 size, and they are still very readable. I would recommend this size, as few of us have a full size drafting table available next to our workbench to spread the drawings out.

You will need to contact the library about price, since there is a certain amount of work involved to identify the drawing numbers that pertain to a given lot, retrieve the storage tube, and roll out the drawings to see what actually exists. Once drawings are scanned, they can be printed from the digital file much more cost effectively, which is one reason that my goal in to obtain copies of both the Haskell & Barker and P-S drawings of Soo Line equipment for the Soo Society; that will ensure that copies are easily available from IRM, but this has not happened yet, and may still be a year or two down the pike. At any rate, you still need to contact IRM and sign a terms of use agreement with Bombardier, which actually still owns the drawing collection.

Contact information is Ted Anderson:

By Email:
pullmanlibrary@...

By Letter:
Illinois Railway Museum
Pullman Library
Post Office Box 427
Union, IL 60180

By Phone:
Wednesdays 10:00am to 4:00pm at 815-923-2020

There is more information on the Pullman Library's web page:

http://www.irm.org/pullmanlibrary/faqs.html

Dennis