Re: Digital Calipers

Glen Mills <mills.glen@...>

Hello,

Hear, hear.

Somebody who thinks the same as me.

My Mitutoyo vernier caliper is over forty years old and I have no intention
of using anything other than a vernier that measures in imperial (English)
and metric. The Mitutoyo was purchased because at that time it was
two-thirds the price of the PFM which I think had HO scale on it. I am
afraid that I prefer to measure in real measurement then convert to scale or
vice versa.

Also, I had had contacts with a machine workshop and the foreman recommended
a vernier as better/more versatile that a micrometer.

I tried a dial caliper once and could not handle the twice around dial. And
as far as batteries are concerned, they are more useless than items that are
only good for breeding fish.

Regards,

Glen Mills
__________________________

Re: Digital Calipers
Posted by: "dennyanspach" danspach@... docdenny34
Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:48 pm (PDT)

This thread has been very interesting. My modeling lives and dies by my
calipers, and it has been so ever since my good wife presented me with a set
of Mitotoyo PFM vernier calipers with an HO scale in about 1959. What an
instrument! 50 years later, it remains a total pleasure to use, and its
measurements can be taken to the bank.

Well, eyes being what they are I looked around for good more easy-to-read
dial calipers, being super-suspicious of the plethora of cheap stuff hitting
the market. I purchased a fine German-made dial caliper whose dial read in
both English and metric. It complemented my PFM stalwart perfectly, and I
admired the fine finish, accuracy, and craftsmanship of this fine
instrument. Then came the day that it fell on the floor (rug), which jarred
the dial so that it would no longer read accurately (by a steady error). I
attempted everything known to man to figure out to get it serviced, but the
cost to do so was prohibitive in extreme. I did visit a fine instrument
repairman in the Bay Area, and I made contact with others as far away as
Long Island by phone. The universal messaqe from all to me was:

1) Presume that all calipers but the verniers will be eventual throw-aways,
the digital calipers more so than the dials (regardless of expense).

2) If you want a fine instrument that will be accurate and will last, stick
with the best verniers that you an afford. They are bullet proof and will
only fail from the heaviest use and/or poor maintenance. Your grandchildren
stand a good chance of greatly prizing them.

3) With that, I gave up on calipers with readouts -dial or digital- ,
purchased on eBay a gorgeous new/old stock Helios (German) vernier caliper
that measures dual-ly in both metric and English, and I am now back to
verniers only (with an Optivisor to read them glued to my forehead).

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento