Re: Oh NO... MicroMark at it again!

Brian Ehni <behni@...>

By "catalog" I mean their entire product line of decals, exactly as
Micro-Mark has.

Thanks!
--

Brian P. Ehni

On 5/4/11 4:47 PM, "John Stokes" <ggstokes@...> wrote:

I'm not sure what relevance this has to the subject, Brian. The catalog
may be copyrighted, it is a publication and is put together with unique
features and content. The decal of rivets is not in the same category. It
is a product that makes a common image available for use on a model in a
certain way. The process of making decals is not unique to Archer, maybe
the process for making raised decals is, but I doubt it. Archer may have
a patent on a specific process for making their rivet decals, but in the
absence of that, and an actual violation of that use, there is no
apparent legal problem here.

As has been noted previously, we live in a world in modeling of
individuals and companies copying, the more exactly the better, objects
that exist from drawings or the actual thing, and selling them to us.
There are multiple copies of many types of diesel engines out there, the
same with certain types of steam locos, and multiple-multiple copies of
common box cars by dozens of manufacturers. There is no copy right on
these. The plans maybe, or a photo, but not on the actual object itself.
Dinging MM for aggressively marketing products that others also offer is
not very productive or encouraging to new manufacturers or products, or
cheaper prices and different goods and services. Again, the "American
way."

Many people think we have a capitalistic system that encourages
dog-eat-dog competition and copycatism runs high. That's the "good old
American way." There are laws protecting legitimate property interests of
course, but the overall all theme is open competition. And perhaps
Archer is the contracted manufacturer of the MM product, who knows?

I do note that the MM product seems to be one sheet with multiple sizes
and types of rivets and other features, while Archer offers multiple
sheets in a wide array of sizes and types of products. I doubt that MM
will cut into the Archer sales very much, but so what, that's what
capitalism is all about, isn't it?

John Stokes
Bellevue, WA

To: STMFC@...
From: behni@...
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 16:08:04 -0500
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Oh NO... MicroMark at it again!

So, then, anyone can also just copy all of the Microscale catalog
and get

away with it? After all, they are just miniature copies of the real thing,

too. That's wrong. Just my opinion.

Thanks!

--

Brian P. Ehni

From: Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 13:58:53 -0700

To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>

Subject: [STMFC] Re: Oh NO... MicroMark at it again!

Brian Ehni wrote:

Wow. Doen't copyright cover Archer?

What would they copyright? The rivet spacing? You can't

copyright an idea.

<mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com>

Publishers of books on railroad history