Re: Freight Car numbers by road - 1950 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Charlie Vlk

Here is a reference to Pareto that JP mentioned......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_distribution

The Pareto distribution, named after the Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto, is a power law probability distribution that coincides with social, scientific, geophysical, actuarial, and many other types of observable phenomena. This idea is sometimes expressed more simply as the Pareto principle or the "80-20 rule" which says that 20% of the population controls 80% of the wealth.[3

To apply it to underrespresented freight car models one would (should?) break down the cars by descrete types to come up with important missing models. I suspect that the "law" might be missapplied here as the 80/20 distribution is based on a common commodity split between multiple owners, not multiple commodities specific to an owner in a pool of different commodities.

Are we talking "mass production" models here or included limited run resin and brass models? Makes a big difference. For example, there are few RTR models of 50FT 1 1/2 Door box cars, which for some areas of the country were very commonly seen. Car distribution (some car types did not normally make it to all parts of the network) is going to make a difference, not just the total number of cars "in the fleet".

I don't think you can make the choice process into a formula, although it is fun to talk about such matters.

Charlie Vlk