Re: Top 20 North American Freight Car Fleets, January 1949

Tim O'Connor

Are we doing all of this AGAIN?

The "population tables" are most useful for figuring out the proper
mix of box cars and reefers on class 1 railroad mainlines, excepting
whatever "home road" is being modeled.

The tables should not include coal hoppers, or gondolas used mostly
for coal, sand, and gravel.

I think the above is consistent with Tim Gilbert's studies of freight
car distribution in the immediate postwar era.

Mike, I can't agree with your statement. If I model the C&O in West
Virginia, I may have a few N&W or PRR or B&O hoppers, but not many at
all, and vastly outnumbered by C&O hoppers. Unlike the box cars which
roamed freely and more or less "randomly" (per Gilbert), hoppers (in
general) moved less freely.

Being one who models west of the Mississippi, I concor with Richard's point.
However, for those modeling east of that river, hoppers play a significant
role...even more than that in the Appalachian region running from Alabama
into New England. If one models just about any RR in that area, one will
need many N&W, WM, L&N, B&O, C&O, Pennsy, and even NYC hoppers. So, the rule
for determining frt car population changes when one changes location.

Mike Brock