Re: Top 20 North American Freight Car Fleets, January 1949

Armand Premo

This is a discussion that will be endless.First of all the area being modeled is the most important factor in determining car mix.The ORER has divided the country into various regions.One is most likely to see cars from within that geographical region or a directly neighboring region regardless of fleet size.I.E.you are more likely to see SP cars in the west than in the east and more Pennsy cars in the east than in the west.Supporting documentation such as wheel reports,conductors books help in determining what ran where.Show me the documentation and I might agree.Armand Premo North American Freight Car Fleets, January 1949
Are we doing all of this AGAIN?

The "population tables" are most useful for figuring out the proper
mix of box cars and reefers on class 1 railroad mainlines, excepting
whatever "home road" is being modeled.

The tables should not include coal hoppers, or gondolas used mostly
for coal, sand, and gravel.

I think the above is consistent with Tim Gilbert's studies of freight
car distribution in the immediate postwar era.

Mike, I can't agree with your statement. If I model the C&O in West
Virginia, I may have a few N&W or PRR or B&O hoppers, but not many at
all, and vastly outnumbered by C&O hoppers. Unlike the box cars which
roamed freely and more or less "randomly" (per Gilbert), hoppers (in
general) moved less freely.