Re: Top 20 North American Freight Car Fleets, January 1949

Tim O'Connor

Mike, essentially what I meant to say (but only implied) is that if
you are modeling a coal road like the C&O in an area full of coal mines,
then the vast majority of the coal cars seen will be C&O. But if you model
C&O in eastern VA or in Ohio, there may be many more foreign hoppers.

The point was that hopper/gondola population mixtures are far more
dependent on local factors than are box car/reefer mixtures, for most
mainline modeling. I think that is sufficiently vague and general. :-)

Suppose one sits down and decides that 50% of the fleet needs to be
box cars. Then one says that 20% of that number needs to be home road
and 10% is direct connections.

So now apply the population percentages to the 35% of your total freight
car fleet (.70 x .50) that will be "random" box cars. Note the randomness
does NOT exclude home road or direct connections. Why? Simple. If your
home road owned 90% of all the box cars that existed, then you should
expect more than 90% of all the box cars on your layout to be home road.

Tim O'

---------------------------------------

I'll grant you that large numbers of eastern RR hoppers might not have
wandered around "randomly" even in the east but they did wander and that's
really all that matters when the purpose of the evaluation is to determine
what cars were present in specific areas. I'll add that, even in the case of
C&O, if the number of WM hoppers turns out to be one car per 300 C&O
hoppers, that will likely match the number of Texas and Pacific box cars on
Sherman Hill. More importantly, such hopper car projections are necessary to
determine the number of C&O hoppers on the Rutland [ wherever that
is ]...rather than the other way.

Mike Brock