Date   

Re: Decal backing color question

Charles Hladik
 

Ron,
Already have my registration (#4) and room reserved.
Chuck

In a message dated 3/10/2013 1:15:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ronald.parisi@gmail.com writes:

Ya know if you weren't such a good judge.....
No one has time for loafing, even on my railroad....

See you in the Fall?

Ron Parisi

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 9:41 AM, <RUTLANDRS@aol.com> wrote:

**


Ron,
Just fantastic, now instead of "silvering" you'll have little ridges
from whiskers. However, those whiskers make nice HO fishing poles. Just
right for those loafers on your waterfront, hiding behind steam era
freight
cars.
Chuck Hladik


In a message dated 3/10/2013 9:13:24 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ronald.parisi@gmail.com writes:

I'm with you Chuck, 'borrowed' a dark green dish from my wifes cat and
it
works fine.....

Ron Parisi

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM, <RUTLANDRS@aol.com> wrote:

**


It is hard to read them on the paper, however, I use a black bowl to
float
off my white decals and a tan bowl for the black. Works or me.
Chuck Hladik


In a message dated 3/8/2013 3:35:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jmischke@att.net writes:

I've always noticed that decal backing from most manufacturers is light
colored. Light blue, pink, or off white. These can be a real pain with
white
decals, especially the smaller graphics for repack and reweigh data,
and
finding the right date for a model.

Is there any reason for this? Can decals be rendered on darker colored
backing?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links


Re: Libby McNeill & Libby

railsnw@frontier.com <railsnw@...>
 

All,

I have posted a pdf file with a photograph of Libby McNeill & Libby Refrigerator Car LMLX 1608 in the Files section under LMLX. The car was owned by General American Transportation and leased to Libby.

Richard Wilkens


Re: Decal Tray was Decal backing color question

StephenK
 

You can get this on Amazon--just search for "Trumpeter Decal" I'm going to give my LHS a chance first, tho.

Steve Kay

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "North Model Railroad Supplies" <nmrs@...> wrote:

Trumpeter Models make a neat decal tray.

You fill the bottom tray with sufficient water so the grate on the inner
tray is covered when it is in the lower position.

Once the decal separates from the backing paper you lift the inner tray and
sit it on the bumps in the side of the bottom tray.

This lifts the grate out of the water, so you don't have to chase the decal
around.

There is also a comb if you prefer to lift the decal from the water.



We can supply them, but we're in Australia - so postage to the US tends to
hurt -J.



Here is a link to a photo of one.

<http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=TSM9918>
http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=TSM9918

Not recommending this dealer - in fact the list price is only $5.95 - but
the pic was a good one.



I've had one for about a year now and I really like how it works.

cheers,

David North



David & Rob North

North Model Railroad Supplies Pty. Ltd.

<http://www.northmodelrailroadsupplies.com>
www.northmodelrailroadsupplies.com

Sydney

Australia



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: Decal backing color question

ronald parisi
 

Ya know if you weren't such a good judge.....
No one has time for loafing, even on my railroad....

See you in the Fall?

Ron Parisi

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 9:41 AM, <RUTLANDRS@aol.com> wrote:

**


Ron,
Just fantastic, now instead of "silvering" you'll have little ridges
from whiskers. However, those whiskers make nice HO fishing poles. Just
right for those loafers on your waterfront, hiding behind steam era
freight
cars.
Chuck Hladik


In a message dated 3/10/2013 9:13:24 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ronald.parisi@gmail.com writes:

I'm with you Chuck, 'borrowed' a dark green dish from my wifes cat and it
works fine.....

Ron Parisi

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM, <RUTLANDRS@aol.com> wrote:

**


It is hard to read them on the paper, however, I use a black bowl to
float
off my white decals and a tan bowl for the black. Works or me.
Chuck Hladik


In a message dated 3/8/2013 3:35:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jmischke@att.net writes:

I've always noticed that decal backing from most manufacturers is light
colored. Light blue, pink, or off white. These can be a real pain with
white
decals, especially the smaller graphics for repack and reweigh data, and
finding the right date for a model.

Is there any reason for this? Can decals be rendered on darker colored
backing?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



Re: Device often seen on single sheathed house cars-what is its name

Bill Welch
 

Can we anoint it the "Door Skid Strap?"

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Al Gest <alfredgest@...> wrote:

I recall seeing the term "door guide strap" I think in Westerfield ATSF stock car instructions.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 10, 2013, at 12:02 AM, Indian640@... wrote:

Bill Welch wrote:

I don't think this is the part I am referring to Dick. The fitting I
am speaking of had no ability to keep the door tight against the side.
The function of the strap I am talking about was to keep the door from
jamming against the bracing immediately adjacent to the door opening.
The CB&Q seemed to prefer to attach them to the steel braces while
Wabash secured them through the sheathing.

How about "door skids?" That's what they do -- skid the doors
over the external bracing. Every well developed technology has
a purpose for everything and a name for anything, but I'd wager
that each user had a different name for these specialized skids.

Mal Houck






Re: Decal Tray was Decal backing color question

North Model Railroad Supplies <nmrs@...>
 

Trumpeter Models make a neat decal tray.

You fill the bottom tray with sufficient water so the grate on the inner
tray is covered when it is in the lower position.

Once the decal separates from the backing paper you lift the inner tray and
sit it on the bumps in the side of the bottom tray.

This lifts the grate out of the water, so you don't have to chase the decal
around.

There is also a comb if you prefer to lift the decal from the water.



We can supply them, but we're in Australia - so postage to the US tends to
hurt -J.



Here is a link to a photo of one.

<http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=TSM9918>
http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=TSM9918

Not recommending this dealer - in fact the list price is only $5.95 - but
the pic was a good one.



I've had one for about a year now and I really like how it works.

cheers,

David North



David & Rob North

North Model Railroad Supplies Pty. Ltd.

<http://www.northmodelrailroadsupplies.com>
www.northmodelrailroadsupplies.com

Sydney

Australia


Re: Decal backing color question

Charles Hladik
 

Ron,
Just fantastic, now instead of "silvering" you'll have little ridges
from whiskers. However, those whiskers make nice HO fishing poles. Just
right for those loafers on your waterfront, hiding behind steam era freight
cars.
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 3/10/2013 9:13:24 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ronald.parisi@gmail.com writes:

I'm with you Chuck, 'borrowed' a dark green dish from my wifes cat and it
works fine.....

Ron Parisi

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM, <RUTLANDRS@aol.com> wrote:

**


It is hard to read them on the paper, however, I use a black bowl to
float
off my white decals and a tan bowl for the black. Works or me.
Chuck Hladik


In a message dated 3/8/2013 3:35:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jmischke@att.net writes:

I've always noticed that decal backing from most manufacturers is light
colored. Light blue, pink, or off white. These can be a real pain with
white
decals, especially the smaller graphics for repack and reweigh data, and
finding the right date for a model.

Is there any reason for this? Can decals be rendered on darker colored
backing?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links


Re: Decal backing color question

ronald parisi
 

I'm with you Chuck, 'borrowed' a dark green dish from my wifes cat and it
works fine.....

Ron Parisi

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM, <RUTLANDRS@aol.com> wrote:

**


It is hard to read them on the paper, however, I use a black bowl to float
off my white decals and a tan bowl for the black. Works or me.
Chuck Hladik


In a message dated 3/8/2013 3:35:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jmischke@att.net writes:

I've always noticed that decal backing from most manufacturers is light
colored. Light blue, pink, or off white. These can be a real pain with
white
decals, especially the smaller graphics for repack and reweigh data, and
finding the right date for a model.

Is there any reason for this? Can decals be rendered on darker colored
backing?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: Device often seen on single sheathed house cars-what is its name

Al Gest
 

I recall seeing the term "door guide strap" I think in Westerfield ATSF stock car instructions.
On Mar 10, 2013, at 12:02 AM, Indian640@aol.com wrote:

Bill Welch wrote:

I don't think this is the part I am referring to Dick. The fitting I
am speaking of had no ability to keep the door tight against the side.
The function of the strap I am talking about was to keep the door from
jamming against the bracing immediately adjacent to the door opening.
The CB&Q seemed to prefer to attach them to the steel braces while
Wabash secured them through the sheathing.

How about "door skids?" That's what they do -- skid the doors
over the external bracing. Every well developed technology has
a purpose for everything and a name for anything, but I'd wager
that each user had a different name for these specialized skids.

Mal Houck

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: Device often seen on single sheathed house cars-what is its name

Malcolm H. Houck
 

Bill Welch wrote:

I don't think this is the part I am referring to Dick. The fitting I
am speaking of had no ability to keep the door tight against the side.
The function of the strap I am talking about was to keep the door from
jamming against the bracing immediately adjacent to the door opening.
The CB&Q seemed to prefer to attach them to the steel braces while
Wabash secured them through the sheathing.

How about "door skids?" That's what they do -- skid the doors
over the external bracing. Every well developed technology has
a purpose for everything and a name for anything, but I'd wager
that each user had a different name for these specialized skids.

Mal Houck


Re: Decal backing color question

Kenneth Montero
 

I used the philatelic stamp soak bowl because it was smaller - less room in which decals could wander if they floated off the carrier sheet.

Ken Montero

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rod Miller" <rod@rodmiller.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, March 9, 2013 6:52:30 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Decal backing color question






On 3/9/13 3:36 PM, va661midlo@comcast.net wrote:
Stamp collectors typically use a small, black plastic bowl for soaking stamps
off envelopes (at least they did before the usage of self-adhesive stamps
came into use here). Try a philatelic (stamp collecting) business for one -
they are inexpensive.

Ken Montero
My wife is in the Jenny Craig program. Many meals come in a
black plastic bowl. Go to a JC store and buy a few meals.

Another good use for a black plastic bowl - soaking white
decals. If the teeny number comes off the sheet you can
find it.

Rod

--

Custom 2-rail O Scale Models: Drives, | O Scale West / S West
Repairs, Steam Loco Building, More | 2014 Meet is Feb 6 - 8
http://www.rodmiller.com | http://www.oscalewest.com


Never sweat the decal job......

Ray Breyer
 

.......because sometimes, there's a prototype for everything.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac-bac/wm.php?img=http://data2.archives.ca/e/e435/e010859856-v8.jpg


Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL


Re: Libby McNeill & Libby

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>
 

Makes sense to me... no Goldwaers in Michigan that I know of, but lots of Coldwater. I still remember the time I (foolishly) attempted to swim to the Picnic Rocks in Marquette in August. I got in as far as my knees when everything turned blue. I have never again been tempted to attempt to swim in Lake Superior in summer again.


 
Bill Daniels
San Francisco, CA



________________________________
From: Bob Miller <cajonpass02@yahoo.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, March 9, 2013 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Libby McNeill & Libby


 
It's Coldwater, Michigan - not Goldwater. The town is located in the lower part of the lower peninsula.

 
Robert J. Miller CFA
Saginaw, MI
 
"An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site." - Frank Lloyd Wright  

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/f/frank_lloyd_wright.html#ixzz1J9zQvpoX

--- On Fri, 3/8/13, Steve H <nwicfan@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Steve H <nwicfan@yahoo.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Libby McNeill & Libby
To: "Freight Cars Group" <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Friday, March 8, 2013, 5:23 PM

 

Hey Everyone,
 
I have been a member of this group for quite a while and it seems that when we talk about refrigerator cars the thread usually ends up going toward Armour, Swift, PFE and FGE. Or something to that effect. But there is one large, national company that seems have been forgotten and that is Libby McNeill & Libby or Libby's.
 
They used to have over 114 fruit, vegetable and canned meat packing plants all over the United States. And a large fleet of freight cars including pickle tank cars. I seem to recall seeing a picture of one of those pickle tank cars somewhere.
 
Anyway, I have compiled a list of known packing plants and branch houses that they used to have from about the 1920s on that might help you in some way (see below).
 
And I know that they leased cars in the 50s because there is a picture of one of their leased cars in the Refrigerator Cars in Color book by Morning Sun.
 
Other than that I don't have much more to share with everyone.
 
Finally, the company started in 1875 and they are still around selling canned pumpkins for pumpkin pies. So it would be great to find out if anyone has any input about Libbys. Thanks.
 
Here is a sample of branch houses that I have found:
* Alabama:
- Birmingham: branch house
 
* British Columbia
- Vancouver: branch house
 
* California:
- Isleton: packing plant (asparagus)
- Lock: packing plant (asparagus)
- Los Angeles: branch house
- Nimbus: packing plant (olives)
- Sacramento: packing plant (apricots, cherries, peaches, pears, plums, beets, cabbage, carrots, pumpkins, spinach, string beans, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips)
- San Francisco: branch house
- Selma: packing plant (grapes, apricots, peaches, pears, plums, cabbage, carrots, pumpkins)
- Sunnyvale: packing plant (cherries, apricots, peaches, pears, plums, cabbage, baked beans, pumpkins, spinach, string beans, tomatoes)
 
* Colorado
- Denver: branch house
 
* Florida
- Jacksonville: branch house
 
* Illinois
- Chicago: (produce, canned meat, lard) --> company HQ with two branch houses, a cold storage plant and a canned meat packing plant
 
* Indiana
- Demotte: packing plant (sauerkraut)
- Highland: packing plant (sauerkraut, tomatoes)
- Indianapolis: branch house
- Nappanee: packing plant (sauerkraut)
 
* Louisiana
- New Orleans: branch house
 
* Maine
- Portland: branch house
 
* Manitoba
- Winnipeg: branch house
 
* Maryland
- Baltimore: branch house
 
* Massachusetts
- Boston: branch house
 
* Michigan
- Detroit: branch house
- Goldwater: packing plant (sauerkraut)
 
* Minnesota
- Minnesota Transfer: branch house
 
* Missouri
- Kansas City: branch house
- St Louis: branch house
 
* New York
- Buffalo: branch house
- New York City: branch house
 
* Ohio
- Toledo: branch house
 
* Oregon
- Portland: branch house
- The Dalles: packing plant (apples, apricots, cherries, peaches, blackberries, loganberries, raspberries, strawberries, string beans)
 
* Pennsylvania
- Philadelphia: branch house
- Pittsburgh: branch house
 
* Tennessee
- Memphis: branch house
 
* Virginia
- Norfolk: branch house
 
* Washington State
- Kent: packing plant (blackberries, sauerkraut, pickles)
- North Yakima: packing plant (apples, apricots, cherries, peaches, plums, pears, string beans, beets)
- Seattle: branch house
 
* Wisconsin
- Eau Claire: packing plant (sauerkraut)
- Milwaukee: branch house
 
- Steve Hedlund (modeling the EP&SW at El Paso)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: Decal backing color question

Rod Miller
 

On 3/9/13 3:36 PM, va661midlo@comcast.net wrote:
Stamp collectors typically use a small, black plastic bowl for soaking stamps
off envelopes (at least they did before the usage of self-adhesive stamps
came into use here). Try a philatelic (stamp collecting) business for one -
they are inexpensive.

Ken Montero
My wife is in the Jenny Craig program. Many meals come in a
black plastic bowl. Go to a JC store and buy a few meals.

Another good use for a black plastic bowl - soaking white
decals. If the teeny number comes off the sheet you can
find it.

Rod

--

Custom 2-rail O Scale Models: Drives, | O Scale West / S West
Repairs, Steam Loco Building, More | 2014 Meet is Feb 6 - 8
http://www.rodmiller.com | http://www.oscalewest.com


Re: Decal backing color question

Kenneth Montero
 

Stamp collectors typically use a small, black plastic bowl for soaking stamps off envelopes (at least they did before the usage of self-adhesive stamps came into use here). Try a philatelic (stamp collecting) business for one - they are inexpensive.

Ken Montero

----- Original Message -----
From: "Schuyler.larrabee" <schuyler.larrabee@verizon.net>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, March 8, 2013 10:09:04 PM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Decal backing color question






That works well. That's also where I find I've cut the serifs off a few
letters . . .

It also helps to hold the decal up to a bright light, so the back of the
paper is the lit side.

Schuyler

It is hard to read them on the paper, however, I use a black bowl to float
off my white decals and a tan bowl for the black. Works or me.
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 3/8/2013 3:35:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jmischke@att.net <mailto:jmischke%40att.net> writes:

I've always noticed that decal backing from most manufacturers is light
colored. Light blue, pink, or off white. These can be a real pain with white

decals, especially the smaller graphics for repack and reweigh data, and
finding the right date for a model.

Is there any reason for this? Can decals be rendered on darker colored
backing?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: Items for sale

Gene <bierglaeser@...>
 

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Holmes" <lehighvalley@...> wrote:

Hi Gene,

E-Bay says this item has been removed or is not available.

Joel Holmes
Joel and All,
Sorry! My fault. I wasn't clear. The eBay number given below is for an item that will not be listed until 5:30 p.m. tomorrow, Sunday, March 10.

Thanks to all who tried to look.

Gene Green


I have a number of items on eBay ending around 5 to 6 p.m. Sunday, March
10. More than 30 items will be listed on eBay between 5 and 5:30 p.m.
Sunday, March 10. Searching for 181094604412 will lead you to all the
rest of the items.

Gene Green
The road to the poor house is paved with too many unassembled freight car
kits.


Re: Libby McNeill & Libby

Steve H <nwicfan@...>
 

The list that I pulled the information was from the late teens and early 20s. So I am not surprised to find out that they might have expanded to Rochester a little later.



________________________________
From: "cepropst@q.com" <cepropst@q.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, March 9, 2013 5:38 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Libby McNeill & Libby


 


Didn't see the cannery at Rochester Minn. on your list, Steve. Served by the CGW. There's a water at the facility shaped and painted like an ear of corn. Kind of a landmark.

Clark Propst




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: Libby McNeill & Libby

Robert J Miller CFA
 

It's Coldwater, Michigan - not Goldwater. The town is located in the lower part of the lower peninsula.



 
Robert J. Miller CFA
Saginaw, MI
 
"An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site." - Frank Lloyd Wright  


Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/f/frank_lloyd_wright.html#ixzz1J9zQvpoX

--- On Fri, 3/8/13, Steve H <nwicfan@yahoo.com> wrote:


From: Steve H <nwicfan@yahoo.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Libby McNeill & Libby
To: "Freight Cars Group" <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Friday, March 8, 2013, 5:23 PM



 



Hey Everyone,
 
I have been a member of this group for quite a while and it seems that when we talk about refrigerator cars the thread usually ends up going toward Armour, Swift, PFE and FGE. Or something to that effect. But there is one large, national company that seems have been forgotten and that is Libby McNeill & Libby or Libby's.
 
They used to have over 114 fruit, vegetable and canned meat packing plants all over the United States. And a large fleet of freight cars including pickle tank cars. I seem to recall seeing a picture of one of those pickle tank cars somewhere.
 
Anyway, I have compiled a list of known packing plants and branch houses that they used to have from about the 1920s on that might help you in some way (see below).
 
And I know that they leased cars in the 50s because there is a picture of one of their leased cars in the Refrigerator Cars in Color book by Morning Sun.
 
Other than that I don't have much more to share with everyone.
 
Finally, the company started in 1875 and they are still around selling canned pumpkins for pumpkin pies. So it would be great to find out if anyone has any input about Libbys. Thanks.
 
Here is a sample of branch houses that I have found:
* Alabama:
- Birmingham: branch house
 
* British Columbia
- Vancouver: branch house
 
* California:
- Isleton: packing plant (asparagus)
- Lock: packing plant (asparagus)
- Los Angeles: branch house
- Nimbus: packing plant (olives)
- Sacramento: packing plant (apricots, cherries, peaches, pears, plums, beets, cabbage, carrots, pumpkins, spinach, string beans, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips)
- San Francisco: branch house
- Selma: packing plant (grapes, apricots, peaches, pears, plums, cabbage, carrots, pumpkins)
- Sunnyvale: packing plant (cherries, apricots, peaches, pears, plums, cabbage, baked beans, pumpkins, spinach, string beans, tomatoes)
 
* Colorado
- Denver: branch house
 
* Florida
- Jacksonville: branch house
 
* Illinois
- Chicago: (produce, canned meat, lard) --> company HQ with two branch houses, a cold storage plant and a canned meat packing plant
 
* Indiana
- Demotte: packing plant (sauerkraut)
- Highland: packing plant (sauerkraut, tomatoes)
- Indianapolis: branch house
- Nappanee: packing plant (sauerkraut)
 
* Louisiana
- New Orleans: branch house
 
* Maine
- Portland: branch house
 
* Manitoba
- Winnipeg: branch house
 
* Maryland
- Baltimore: branch house
 
* Massachusetts
- Boston: branch house
 
* Michigan
- Detroit: branch house
- Goldwater: packing plant (sauerkraut)
 
* Minnesota
- Minnesota Transfer: branch house
 
* Missouri
- Kansas City: branch house
- St Louis: branch house
 
* New York
- Buffalo: branch house
- New York City: branch house
 
* Ohio
- Toledo: branch house
 
* Oregon
- Portland: branch house
- The Dalles: packing plant (apples, apricots, cherries, peaches, blackberries, loganberries, raspberries, strawberries, string beans)
 
* Pennsylvania
- Philadelphia: branch house
- Pittsburgh: branch house
 
* Tennessee
- Memphis: branch house
 
* Virginia
- Norfolk: branch house
 
* Washington State
- Kent: packing plant (blackberries, sauerkraut, pickles)
- North Yakima: packing plant (apples, apricots, cherries, peaches, plums, pears, string beans, beets)
- Seattle: branch house
 
* Wisconsin
- Eau Claire: packing plant (sauerkraut)
- Milwaukee: branch house
 
- Steve Hedlund (modeling the EP&SW at El Paso)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]








[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: Libby McNeill & Libby

Dave Nelson
 

Libby's leased one of the larger warehouses in the Port of Oakland (at a
location that's known as the outer harbor) for holding canned goods before
shipment by water. Rail service provided on three sides.

Dave Nelson


Re: Libby McNeill & Libby

Richard Brennan <brennan8@...>
 

At 05:38 AM 3/9/2013, cepropst@q.com wrote:
Didn't see the cannery at Rochester Minn. on your list, Steve. Served by the CGW. There's a water at the facility shaped and painted like an ear of corn. Kind of a landmark.
The Libby water tower in Sunnyvale -is- a landmark... in the shape of a fruit cocktail can!
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/222
...now in the middle of a technology business park.

Nearly all of the Santa Clara County canneries were rail-served in the days before "Silicon Valley"...
Excellent ongoing series in Robert's (Bowdidge) Vasona Branch Blog: http://vasonabranch.blogspot.com/

--------------------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
--------------------

77961 - 77980 of 192701