Date   

Re: PFE/WP Reefers: Color of Feather (Orange or Silver)?

Tim O'Connor
 


Garth, I think it's an optical illusion. In my 1941 photo (52626) the feather appears to be other than B&W, but
a COLOR photo in 1957 (55589) also gives this appearance. I think the reason is that the feather is so finely done
with thin black lines that it simply appears to be painted another color.

Tim O'Connor




There are two color photos of these cars in Jim Eager's WESTERN PACIFIC COLOR GUIDE TO FREIGHT AND PASSENGER EQUIPMENT. A car preserved at the Feather River Railroad Museum shows the herald as black and what was probably white details. Actually, the light colored parts are yellow-orange, as most of the white has weathered away. This car was last reconditioned in 1943. The second is an in-service shot of a reconditioned car from the 1950s. The herald is clearly black and white.

It is possible that the herald originally had a red-orange feather when the cars were new, but this probably didn't last. Certainly by the first rebuilding around 1938-1943, the herald was black and white.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff


Re: SFRD reefer classes

Clark Propst
 

Thanks to all the assistance I decided to build the model with the kit parts. I really enjoyed assembling this model, especially the underside. Well thought out. I did replace the steps with A-Line of course.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa


Re: Essential Freight Cars

rwitt_2000
 

I always thought Ted would collect them all into a book. I recall the copyright notice was different for those articles and I always assumed that Ted retained future rights for publication.

Regards,

Bob Witt


Re: Essential Freight Cars

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>
 

On 5/23/2017 2:11 AM, Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC] wrote:


I have long urged Ted to collect them all in book form.

    That would be a book I would like.

-- 
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS


Re: Can I modify a Type 21 underframe into Type 11?

Ian Cranstone
 

On 2017-05-23, at 7:29 AM, kemal_mumcu@... [STMFC] wrote:
 

Thanks for adding to this discussion all. Ian, you provided information on this car previously unknown to me. The 1800 series listing seems to have died in 1929 according to your site. Was this car renumbered after 1929? And if so to what series?

This is from an unpublished manuscript that I've been working on -- unfortunately my website page on Imperial Oil Ltd/Transit Company Ltd. is in need of a serious update, as I've uncovered a lot of info on these fleets in the last couple of years and have not yet updated the website.  It looks like BMMX 1800-1813 were renumbered mostly from former TCLX 800-899 series cars in mid-1927, and were renumbered back to the 800 series, but apparently now with SUPX reporting marks (another Transit Co. Ltd. reporting mark), by late 1943.  Beginning about 1950, SUPX reporting marks began to be replaced by TCLX reporting marks, which was still in progress when the Imperial Oil/Transit Co. Ltd. fleets were sold to the Products Tank Line of Canada in late 1952 (a UTLX subsidiary, which later became Procor).  By 1960, all former IOX/TCLX cars had been relettered to UTLX reporting marks and numbers, and the Canadian subsidiary's cars were distinguishable from the American parent's cars only through the stencilling of capacities on the end of the car in Imperial gallons.  Procor lettering would only begin to appear circa 1962.

This particular car was first lettered TCLX 866, was listed as BMMX 1804 in the 1936 Tank Car Capacities Tariff, as TCLX 866 in the 1955 Tank Car Capacities Tariff, UTLX 26354 in the 1960 Tank Car Capacities Tariff, and was no longer listed in the 1970 Tank Car Capacities Tariff.  As mentioned above, based on the ORER listings, it seems likely that the car was SUPX 866 by 1943 through to the early 1950s.

Knowing this car is from the 800 series is helpful as I have a photo of 893 from the Vancouver area that shows detail.

It should be identical, pending any in-service modifications.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada


Re: Essential Freight Cars

Benjamin Hom
 

Barry Kenner asked:
"I am very impressed with the detail and information in Ted Culotta's series of articles 'Essential Freight Cars'. I was wondering if all of them were available. I have some of the latter ones. None of my searches have worked. I thought I would ask the group."

For a complete list of the articles in the series, go to
and do a CTRL+F search for "EssentialFreightCars46.pdf"

This will give you the latest version of the list compiled by Rich Brennan in February 2013.  There are two older versions that probably should be deleted.

RMC back issues published by Carstens are not available from WRP, but are common on the secondary market.  I've always had good luck getting my back issues from Railpub.


Ben Hom


Re: Bracket Grabs

frograbbit602
 

Kadee. And, Yarmouth Models has a nice jig for drilling holes if one needs one.
Lester Breuer


Re: Essential Freight Cars

O Fenton Wells
 

Yes the Essential Freight Car articles should be re released as a book. 
Fenton 


On May 23, 2017, at 5:11 AM, Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

 

I have long urged Ted to collect them all in book form. If you agree, let him know.
Tony Thompson 


On May 23, 2017, at 10:44 AM, Barry Kenner hoboborr@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

 

Hello Group,
I am very impressed with the detail and information in Ted Culotta's series of articles"Essential Freight Cars". I was wondering if all of them were available. I have some of the latter ones. None of my searches have worked. I thought I would ask the group. Thanks,Barry


Re: Can I modify a Type 21 underframe into Type 11?

Kemal Mumcu
 

Thanks for adding to this discussion all. Ian, you provided information on this car previously unknown to me. The 1800 series listing seems to have died in 1929 according to your site. Was this car renumbered after 1929? And if so to what series?

Knowing this car is from the 800 series is helpful as I have a photo of 893 from the Vancouver area that shows detail.

So basically as I see it, I need to modify the side and end sills and rebuild the walk way supports to make this a earlier type underframe?

Colin


Re: Bracket Grabs

Fred Jansz
 

Kadee, with Yarmouth drill template.
Fred Jansz


Re: Essential Freight Cars

Tony Thompson
 

I have long urged Ted to collect them all in book form. If you agree, let him know.
Tony Thompson 


On May 23, 2017, at 10:44 AM, Barry Kenner hoboborr@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

 

Hello Group,
I am very impressed with the detail and information in Ted Culotta's series of articles"Essential Freight Cars". I was wondering if all of them were available. I have some of the latter ones. None of my searches have worked. I thought I would ask the group. Thanks,Barry


Re: PFE/WP Reefers: Color of Feather (Orange or Silver)?

Tony Thompson
 

I know of no documentation of WP reefers in PFE service with other than B&W emblems. Dick Harley may know more.
Tony Thompson 


On May 23, 2017, at 8:15 AM, Garth Groff sarahsan@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

 

Bill,

There are two color photos of these cars in Jim Eager's WESTERN PACIFIC COLOR GUIDE TO FREIGHT AND PASSENGER EQUIPMENT. A car preserved at the Feather River Railroad Museum shows the herald as black and what was probably white details. Actually, the light colored parts are yellow-orange, as most of the white has weathered away. This car was last reconditioned in 1943. The second is an in-service shot of a reconditioned car from the 1950s. The herald is clearly black and white.

It is possible that the herald originally had a red-orange feather when the cars were new, but this probably didn't last. Certainly by the first rebuilding around 1938-1943, the herald was black and white.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff


On 5/22/17 3:23 PM, bill_stanton60@... [STMFC] wrote:
 

I have a red caboose kit r-30-12 pfe/wp reefer with feather in WP logo as orange but I've seen a red caboose RTR with the feather as silver.


Can anyone explain which is correct?


(I'm modeling 1947-48)


thanks



Re: PFE/WP Reefers: Color of Feather (Orange or Silver)?

Fred Jansz
 

Bill,
Herald was B&W. However, if y're modeling a WP car in 1948 from this RC car, please note:

- car side says 'completely reconditioned in 1939', which it is not, because:
- the RC car still has the short 'as built' body (R-30-12, pre 1939, should be R-30-9 after 1939-1941)
- trucks in the kit are T-section, should be AAR in 1948
- the underbody is Bettendorf, but the majority had built up frames.
- the sides and ends are missing the reinforcement strip detail bolted to the bottom of the side boards and on the ends (all wooden RC/IM cars miss this detail, Tichy and Sunshine has it).
- by 1950 only 114 WP reefers were left unreconditioned and probably in terrible shape, if not set aside.

If you're not a rivet counter, it's a nice stand in for one of the remaining -obviously well weathered- 114 WP cars. I have one and covered the orange shield with a decal. Added lots of decal softener and scribed the planking with a sharp knife. The orange feather doesn't show.

cheers, Fred Jansz


Re: Bracket Grabs

Tim O'Connor
 

Kadee

What's the best HO scale bracket grab aftermarket part these days (scale-size brackets and rungs, flash free, glue-able, etc.)?
Thanks,
Bob Chapman


Re: Can I modify a Type 21 underframe into Type 11?

Dave Parker
 

As Ian said, 12-19 is the build date, not a reweigh date.  There was no regular  reweigh requirement for tank cars at this time, and they often sported the build date for many years.

And yes, those are (unsurprisingly) KD brakes.  I have looked at quite a few builders photos of AC&F tank cars, and every one with a build date of 1916 or earlier had KC brakes. 1917 and 1918 seem to represent a transition, with about an equal mix of KC and KD.  Every car built in 1919 or 1920 had KD brakes.  1921 and 1922 are "undersampled", but the limited evidence suggests KDs were still applied.  1923 seems to represent a rapid switch back to (mostly) KC.  From 1924 until the advent of AB brakes in 1933, all AC&F cars had KC brakes.

As for the tank and dome configuration, I would remind everyone of Ed Kaminski's caution that Type 21 (or Type 11, 27, etc.) referred to AC&F's frame design.  The tanks could vary depending on who placed the order.  The LL/P2000 models reflect the most common dome sizes, but they are not always correct.  Texaco cars, as an example, had oversized domes not accurately captured by the models offered in Texaco livery.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA


On Monday, May 22, 2017 8:28 PM, "Ian Cranstone lamontc@... [STMFC]" wrote:


 
On 2017-05-22, at 8:03 PM, kemal_mumcu@... [STMFC] wrote:

 
Hi folks,
I'm about to start working on a Life Like 10 000k tank car kit that was obviously inspired by the following photo from Ian Cranstone's site Nakina.net

http://nakina.net/photos/bmmx/bmmx001804.jpg

Now, to my eye the prototype seems to rest on a type 11 frame (correct me if I'm wrong) and not on the type 21 frame that Life Like provided. My question is what do I need to keep in mind when making alterations. Can I back date a type 21 frame to a type 11?
BMMX 1804 was built by AC&F at Berwick as part of lot 8719 in 12/1919 for the Transit Company Ltd. as a TCLX 800-899 series car. This photograph was taken at Sarnia, Ontario in July 1927, probably just after the car had been renumbered from TCLX 866 (Sarnia was the home to the Imperial Oil/Transit Company Ltd.'s car shops).  By 1955 the car had been returned to its original number, and by 1960 had been renumbered UTLX 26354.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada




Bracket Grabs

Andy Carlson
 



The Red Caboose bracket grab irons (The replacement ones newly tooled for their acquired IMWX '37 AAR box car) are nice, as are the Intermountain ones from their Ps-1 box cars. They are styrene, which means they break easily, but they do glue well.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA
 
What's the best HO scale bracket grab aftermarket part these days (scale-size brackets and rungs, flash free, glue-able, etc.)?
Thanks,
Bob Chapman
 



Re: Can I modify a Type 21 underframe into Type 11?

Ian Cranstone
 

On 2017-05-22, at 8:03 PM, kemal_mumcu@... [STMFC] wrote:

 

Hi folks,
I'm about to start working on a Life Like 10 000k tank car kit that was obviously inspired by the following photo from Ian Cranstone's site Nakina.net

http://nakina.net/photos/bmmx/bmmx001804.jpg

Now, to my eye the prototype seems to rest on a type 11 frame (correct me if I'm wrong) and not on the type 21 frame that Life Like provided. My question is what do I need to keep in mind when making alterations. Can I back date a type 21 frame to a type 11?

BMMX 1804 was built by AC&F at Berwick as part of lot 8719 in 12/1919 for the Transit Company Ltd. as a TCLX 800-899 series car. This photograph was taken at Sarnia, Ontario in July 1927, probably just after the car had been renumbered from TCLX 866 (Sarnia was the home to the Imperial Oil/Transit Company Ltd.'s car shops).  By 1955 the car had been returned to its original number, and by 1960 had been renumbered UTLX 26354.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada


Re: Dark chalk marks

SUVCWORR@...
 

My guess as to why they are dark -- did not have a piece of chalk handy so use a lump of coal 

Rich Orr


-----Original Message-----
From: 'gary laakso' vasa0vasa@... [STMFC]
To: STMFC
Sent: Mon, May 22, 2017 9:51 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Dark chalk marks



Here is a picture of Frisco rebuilt single sheathed boxcar with dark chalk marks high enough up that likely written at the loading platform:

 

https://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Emil-Albrecht-Photos/1947-Sep-Salt-Lake-City/i-jV3JmGN/A 

 

Gary Laakso

south of Mike Brock

 

In the next picture, are those military vehicles on the flat cars in front of the UP caboose? 




Bracket Grabs

Bob Chapman
 

What's the best HO scale bracket grab aftermarket part these days (scale-size brackets and rungs, flash free, glue-able, etc.)?
Thanks,
Bob Chapman
 


Re: HO Freight Cars for Sale

Steve and Barb Hile
 

Hi Jared,

Here's the list. I need to get cracking on some models to bring to
Collinsville.

Best Regards,
Steve

_____

From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2017 6:16 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Re: HO Freight Cars for Sale




Steve,


Please send the list.

Jared Harper



---In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, <shile@...> wrote :


I have a small group of HO freight cars that are excess to my needs for
sale. I will send you a list if you contact me, off list, at shile (at)
mindspring (dot) com. Actual shipping cost from Naperville is in addition
to the prices shown. Or I can hand off to you at Collinsville next month.

Sorry for duplicate postings.

Steve Hile

33661 - 33680 of 183407