Date   
Re: Oregon short line stock cars

Donald B. Valentine
 

Hi Doug,

     The CB&Q stock car with the double decked load of sheep is a cocoker given the full height IC car behind it and a
similar car to the right. Such photos really illustrate the diminutive size of such cars. Thanks for posting it.

Cordially, Don Valentine

 

Rock Island automobile box car 160250 with end door

Lester Breuer
 

I have finished Rock Island 160250 automobile single-sheathed box car  with end door.  A Rocket Express resin kit, number R1-1.  If you are interested, photos and writeup of the build are now on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.   If you would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

 

Lester Breuer


Re: Rock Island automobile box car 160250 with end door

Paul Doggett
 

Nice work Lester I have one of those to build.

Paul Doggett 


On 7 Sep 2019, at 18:27, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

I have finished Rock Island 160250 automobile single-sheathed box car  with end door.  A Rocket Express resin kit, number R1-1.  If you are interested, photos and writeup of the build are now on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.   If you would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

 

Lester Breuer


Attachments:

Re: Oregon short line stock cars

Charlie Vlk
 

All-

Drawings for the CB&Q 36 Ft car appeared in Mainline Modeler.   HO brass cars and resin kits have been available in the past.   If my 3D CAD buddy ever gets his printers going I’ll have cars (at least for myself) in N Scale as he did Solidworks drawings for them some time ago…the test prints done on a Prefactory machine were exquisite with the entire car, roofwalks, brake wheel and fully detailed separated structural member underframe cast in one piece.   It was beautiful but impractical as there was no provision for mounting operating trucks and couplers.   The file has since been modified to make the body and a simplified underframe as separate castings.   The SM16 is one of the signature cars of the CB&Q….built on recycled National Steel Dump Car underframes in keeping with the Q’s “thriftiness”….

Charlie Vlk

Re: Rock Island automobile box car 160250 with end door

O Fenton Wells
 

Looks very nice Lester, I built the car as well and there’s something about those 40-ft DD cars, especially wood and outside braced. Nicely done. And enjoyed your blog
Fenton 


On Sep 7, 2019, at 1:29 PM, Paul Doggett via Groups.Io <paul.doggett2472@...> wrote:

Nice work Lester I have one of those to build.

Paul Doggett 


On 7 Sep 2019, at 18:27, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

I have finished Rock Island 160250 automobile single-sheathed box car  with end door.  A Rocket Express resin kit, number R1-1.  If you are interested, photos and writeup of the build are now on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.   If you would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

 

Lester Breuer


Attachments:

Re: Oregon short line stock cars

William Hirt
 

To close the circle, here is a roster of CB&Q 40' Stock Cars:

52000-52149 SM. 40' 6" Stock Car. Class SM-19. Built 1937-38 at CB&Q Galesburg. Series #52000-52149. Photo in CB&Q Color Guide on p73.
52500-52699 SM. 40' 6" Stock Car. Class SM-19A. Built 1944-45 by CB&Q Havelock. Steel Roofs. Series #52500-52699. 46 cars in series equipped with double decks and AAR Classified SF. Photos in CB&Q Color Guide on p73. 
52700-53199 SM. 40' 6" Stock Car. Class SM-19B. Built 1949 by CB&Q Havelock. Steel Roofs and Ends. Series #52700-53199. 54 cars in series equipped with double decks and AAR Classified SF. Photos in CB&Q Color Guide on p74. 

By the late 1950's the CB&Q was already moving on a regular basis Illinois hogs to Tobin Packing in Albany and Rochester NY on the NYC. I have a copy of a presentation Steve Holding did at the Burlington Historical Society meet a few years ago that also showed D&RGW and UP cars being used on the Q for loading hogs in this service.

In 2007, Russ Strodtz posted some switch lists of CB&Q connection cars to the IHB at Congress Park IL. Doug Harding was part of this discussion on the Railway Bull Shippers list. Here are the ones with Hogs:

July 25, 1959
LW68  503-502-514-506  [SD24's]  I/C  01:00 a.m. [Lincoln West]
CB&Q     56752  Hogs      NYC

62  130-166-126  [F3 AB-F7 B-F3 BA] I/C 05:10 a.m. [A Denver train]
    SLSX    71167   Hogs            NYC
    SLSX    71427   Hogs            NYC

82   114AB-135BA  [FT AB-F3 BA]  I/C  11:50 a.m. [A Dayton's Bluff train]
    [Most of setout from South St Paul]
    CB&Q    52508   Hogs       MC
    CB&Q    52138   Hogs       MC
    CB&Q    52771   Hogs       MC
    CB&Q    52716   Hogs       MC

1stLC   116DC-120CD  [F3 ABBA]  I/C  12:20 p.m. [A Omaha train but this consist looks like only Kansas City and St Joseph traffic which would have come into Galesburg on #70]
    CB&Q  56415    Hogs       NYC
    CB&Q  58711    Hogs       NYC
    CB&Q  56635    Hogs       NYC
    CB&Q   56619   Hogs       NYC
    CB&Q   59421   Hogs       NYC
    CB&Q   58708   Hogs       NYC
    CB&Q   58626   Hogs       NYC

Extra East 154ABC [F2A-FTBA] I/C  08:10 p.m.
    CB&Q 56752   Hogs           Not shown, probably NYC

As Russ wrote, that's all.

Lots of Q 36' stock cars moving hogs just on this one day.

Bill Hirt


On 9/7/2019 9:39 AM, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Doug,

     The CB&Q stock car with the double decked load of sheep is a cocoker given the full height IC car behind it and a
similar car to the right. Such photos really illustrate the diminutive size of such cars. Thanks for posting it.

Cordially, Don Valentine

 
._,_

Lime Unloading IC/LTRR Gondola

Matt Smith
 

Lime unloading from gondolas.

Another great images from the IDA Pantagraph Collection 
http://www.idaillinois.org/digital/collection/p16614coll35/id/32654/rec/286

--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL

Re: Lime Unloading IC/LTRR Gondola

Eric Hansmann
 

A Lake Terminal mill gondola pressed into bulk material service. Interesting. F&C produces an HO scale resin kit for this gondola. A few lettering styles are available, including this one. 

While bulk loads in a mill gon are not typical, they have occurred. I one found a photo of a 61-foot Western Maryland mill gon loaded with coal. 


Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Sep 8, 2019, at 12:15 PM, Matt Smith <flyn96@...> wrote:

Lime unloading from gondolas.

Another great images from the IDA Pantagraph Collection 
http://www.idaillinois.org/digital/collection/p16614coll35/id/32654/rec/286

--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL

Re: Lime Unloading IC/LTRR Gondola

Paul Doggett
 

Very interesting photo.

Paul Doggett 


On 8 Sep 2019, at 18:15, Matt Smith <flyn96@...> wrote:

Lime unloading from gondolas.

Another great images from the IDA Pantagraph Collection 
http://www.idaillinois.org/digital/collection/p16614coll35/id/32654/rec/286

--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL

Re: Lime Unloading IC/LTRR Gondola

Charles Peck
 

I note that the year of the photo is 1943.  The wartime years of 1942 through 1945 saw a lot of exceptions to normal peacetime practices.
Chuck Peck

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 1:15 PM Matt Smith <flyn96@...> wrote:
Lime unloading from gondolas.

Another great images from the IDA Pantagraph Collection 
http://www.idaillinois.org/digital/collection/p16614coll35/id/32654/rec/286

--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL

Re: Lime Unloading IC/LTRR Gondola

Schleigh Mike
 

Hello Group!

In my observations it is not at all unusual for bulk agricultural lime to be shipped in mill gondolas, even those of 65' inside length.  Any free roaming car would be a candidate.

How to unload them is always an interesting solution to find.  Manual labor comes to mind.

Regards from sunny & dry Grove City in Western Penna.

Mike Schleigh

On Sunday, September 8, 2019, 1:22:00 PM EDT, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:


A Lake Terminal mill gondola pressed into bulk material service. Interesting. F&C produces an HO scale resin kit for this gondola. A few lettering styles are available, including this one. 

While bulk loads in a mill gon are not typical, they have occurred. I one found a photo of a 61-foot Western Maryland mill gon loaded with coal. 


Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Sep 8, 2019, at 12:15 PM, Matt Smith <flyn96@...> wrote:

Lime unloading from gondolas.

Another great images from the IDA Pantagraph Collection 
http://www.idaillinois.org/digital/collection/p16614coll35/id/32654/rec/286

--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL

Re: Lime Unloading IC/LTRR Gondola

Eric Hansmann
 

Here's the image of WM 50519 loaded with coal. This 61-foot mill gon was built in the late 1920s. The photo is dated 1936/08/05.

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/001972



Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN



On September 8, 2019 at 11:21 AM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

A Lake Terminal mill gondola pressed into bulk material service. Interesting. F&C produces an HO scale resin kit for this gondola. A few lettering styles are available, including this one. 

While bulk loads in a mill gon are not typical, they have occurred. I one found a photo of a 61-foot Western Maryland mill gon loaded with coal. 


Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Sep 8, 2019, at 12:15 PM, Matt Smith < flyn96@...> wrote:

Lime unloading from gondolas.

Another great images from the IDA Pantagraph Collection 
http://www.idaillinois.org/digital/collection/p16614coll35/id/32654/rec/286

--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL


 


 

Rapido USRA box--order deadline tomorrow

spsalso
 

Yup.  So Rapido has said.


Ed

Edward Sutorik

Brazelton 80+ Sensitive Drill Press and X-Y Table (for sale)

C J Wyatt
 

If interested, please hit "Reply to Sender" (not group).

I can sell them together or separately. The drill press is the model with a tilt head so that it can drill at an angle. It is missing the Albrecht keyless chuck and needs a couple of minor repairs, such as soldering a motor lead wire and the Z-axis take-up spindle is bent. It still works but the knob wobbles as you turn it.

With the right chuck, you can use drills smaller than #80. 

The X-Y table was made by Al Brazelton to fit his drill press.

Jack Wyatt

Re: Brazelton 80+ Sensitive Drill Press and X-Y Table (for sale)

Ralph W. Brown
 

Jack,
 
Just so you know, “Reply to Sender” does not work for all systems, including mine.  Providing your email address in some form, “rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com” for example, works for all.
 
Pax,
 
 
Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com
 

From: C J Wyatt
Sent: Sunday, September 8, 2019 11:08 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Brazelton 80+ Sensitive Drill Press and X-Y Table (for sale)
 
If interested, please hit "Reply to Sender" (not group).

I can sell them together or separately. The drill press is the model with a tilt head so that it can drill at an angle. It is missing the Albrecht keyless chuck and needs a couple of minor repairs, such as soldering a motor lead wire and the Z-axis take-up spindle is bent. It still works but the knob wobbles as you turn it.

With the right chuck, you can use drills smaller than #80.

The X-Y table was made by Al Brazelton to fit his drill press.

Jack Wyatt

Re: Brazelton 80+ Sensitive Drill Press and X-Y Table (for sale)

C J Wyatt
 

I appreciate that info Ralph. I'll keep that in mind in future posts.

Jack

On Monday, September 9, 2019, 12:09:18 AM EDT, Ralph W. Brown <rbrown51@...> wrote:


Jack,
 
Just so you know, “Reply to Sender” does not work for all systems, including mine.  Providing your email address in some form, “rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com” for example, works for all.
 
Pax,
 
 
Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com
 
From: C J Wyatt
Sent: Sunday, September 8, 2019 11:08 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Brazelton 80+ Sensitive Drill Press and X-Y Table (for sale)
 
If interested, please hit "Reply to Sender" (not group).

I can sell them together or separately. The drill press is the model with a tilt head so that it can drill at an angle. It is missing the Albrecht keyless chuck and needs a couple of minor repairs, such as soldering a motor lead wire and the Z-axis take-up spindle is bent. It still works but the knob wobbles as you turn it.

With the right chuck, you can use drills smaller than #80.

The X-Y table was made by Al Brazelton to fit his drill press.

Jack Wyatt

Re: Brazelton 80+ Sensitive Drill Press and X-Y Table (for sale)

C J Wyatt
 

Oops! I should have hit "reply to sender". 

cjwyatt<at>bellsouth<dot>net

Of course, one usually can extract the email address for the sender from the post.

On Monday, September 9, 2019, 12:12:43 AM EDT, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:


I appreciate that info Ralph. I'll keep that in mind in future posts.

Jack

On Monday, September 9, 2019, 12:09:18 AM EDT, Ralph W. Brown <rbrown51@...> wrote:


Jack,
 
Just so you know, “Reply to Sender” does not work for all systems, including mine.  Providing your email address in some form, “rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com” for example, works for all.
 
Pax,
 
 
Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com
 
From: C J Wyatt
Sent: Sunday, September 8, 2019 11:08 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Brazelton 80+ Sensitive Drill Press and X-Y Table (for sale)
 
If interested, please hit "Reply to Sender" (not group).

I can sell them together or separately. The drill press is the model with a tilt head so that it can drill at an angle. It is missing the Albrecht keyless chuck and needs a couple of minor repairs, such as soldering a motor lead wire and the Z-axis take-up spindle is bent. It still works but the knob wobbles as you turn it.

With the right chuck, you can use drills smaller than #80.

The X-Y table was made by Al Brazelton to fit his drill press.

Jack Wyatt

Re: Brazelton 80+ Sensitive Drill Press and X-Y Table (for sale)

Scott
 


 Just use the "Private" button on lower right of chat box.  It only replies to sender.

Scott McDonald

Hurricane Dorina

Mikebrock
 

Guys,

I would like to inform those interested in the RPM meet [ Prototype Rails ] held in Cocoa Beach Jan 9-11, that the Cocoa Beach Oceanview Hilton Hotel suffered NO damage from Hurricane Dorina’s recent visit.

 

We are, of course, in the 2019 hurricane season which won’t end until November.

 

From NOAA:

 

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA): NOAA predicts a “near-normal” 2019 Atlantic hurricane season with up to 15 named storms with winds of at least 39 mph. But, of these, NOAA predicts, four to eight could turn into hurricanes of 74 mph or greater and two to four of these storms could strengthen into major Category 3, 4, or 5 storms. So "normal," doesn't exactly mean quiet.

 

We will continue to monitor the storm season and its effect on Prototype Rails. BTW, in the 20 yrs of operating the meet, we have had only one disruption caused by a hurricane and the show still went on.

 

Mike Brock

Prototype Rails and STMFC Bossman

 

 

 

 

Re: Lime Unloading IC/LTRR Gondola

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>
 

Eric,

In the late 19790s when I was at an inter-service school at Ft. Harrison, Indiana, I photographed a mill gondola of coal being unloaded for the base heating plant. Conrail had also provided a tracked crane with a clamshell bucket similar to the one in the Illinois photo, the whole rig mounted temporarily on a flatcar for the unloading. Sadly, I don't have the slide anymore.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff

On 9/8/2019 1:21 PM, Eric Hansmann wrote:
A Lake Terminal mill gondola pressed into bulk material service. Interesting. F&C produces an HO scale resin kit for this gondola. A few lettering styles are available, including this one. 

While bulk loads in a mill gon are not typical, they have occurred. I one found a photo of a 61-foot Western Maryland mill gon loaded with coal. 


Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Sep 8, 2019, at 12:15 PM, Matt Smith <flyn96@...> wrote:

Lime unloading from gondolas.

Another great images from the IDA Pantagraph Collection 
http://www.idaillinois.org/digital/collection/p16614coll35/id/32654/rec/286

--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL