Date   

Re: Another "What do I do with this" quiz

Eric Hansmann
 

It took me awhile to find the product number on the Accurail site. Here’s what Clark bought, but as a data only with dark paint.

http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/4500/4512.JPG

 

Check out this February 1993 Richard Hendrickson article to see what is possible.

http://original.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/144/10388/february-1993-page-14

 

 

 

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

 

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clark Propst
Sent: Sunday, December 8, 2019 9:36 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Another "What do I do with this" quiz

 

I a weak moment I picked up an Accurail box car at the mall show yesterday. It's box number is 4498 It's described as a 'Data Only - DK'. I thought it might work for the CL mini-kit, only noticing the steel door, but it has too many side posts. Besides the 3 posts on either side of the door which is corrugated steel it has 7/8 Murphy ends. 
The quiz part is: What can I make this car "Fairly" accurately?
Thanks lot for your advise,
CW Propst


Another "What do I do with this" quiz

David
 

Out of the box, it's good for the Canadian Pacific cars it was modeled after. Light modifications will get you DM&N 3300-3399.

David Thompson


Re: RI 264000 lettering

Bill Welch
 

What is wrong with the decals that come with the kit?

Bill Welch


Re: RI 264000 lettering

Schleigh Mike
 

Hello Ron & Group!

I have a Jay Williams print of RI 40400, no date but reweighed 10-62.  The lettering style is that 'block' style that came to the Rock late in the 1950s.  There is no herald on the right.  That series of car numbers was created about that time for hide service and the 40400 is so labeled.  This car is modeled by Rocket Express RI-2 (double door, fixed ends).

Hope this helps.

Regards from frosty Grove City in western Penna.

Mike Schleigh

On Sunday, December 8, 2019, 11:31:25 AM EST, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:


I have a RI 264000 series single-sheathed double door box (Rocket Express) almost ready to paint.  I'm looking for the lettering style from the mid-late 50s, either as a general service car or as a hide car.  There are plenty of photos on line of RI 264070, freshly restored to its as-built paint scheme, but none in-service late in life.

I can assume that, beyond the reporting marks and data, that there probably would not have been a herald or ROCK ISLAND lettering on the car.  Is this likely?  And reporting marks - Roman or gothic?

Ron Merrick


Re: RI 264000 lettering

Norm Buckhart
 

Ron - this could have been renumbered but may be what you are looking for.  norm buckhart

On Dec 8, 2019, at 8:31 AM, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

I have a RI 264000 series single-sheathed double door box (Rocket Express) almost ready to paint.  I'm looking for the lettering style from the mid-late 50s, either as a general service car or as a hide car.  There are plenty of photos on line of RI 264070, freshly restored to its as-built paint scheme, but none in-service late in life.

I can assume that, beyond the reporting marks and data, that there probably would not have been a herald or ROCK ISLAND lettering on the car.  Is this likely?  And reporting marks - Roman or gothic?

Ron Merrick


RI 264000 lettering

mopacfirst
 

I have a RI 264000 series single-sheathed double door box (Rocket Express) almost ready to paint.  I'm looking for the lettering style from the mid-late 50s, either as a general service car or as a hide car.  There are plenty of photos on line of RI 264070, freshly restored to its as-built paint scheme, but none in-service late in life.

I can assume that, beyond the reporting marks and data, that there probably would not have been a herald or ROCK ISLAND lettering on the car.  Is this likely?  And reporting marks - Roman or gothic?

Ron Merrick


Re: Photo: Alaska RR Flat Car 12812 With Load

mopacfirst
 

Doesn't that welded flatcar look familiar?  I saw the note about it being built by Thrall, and it's probably not significantly different from a 70 ton car.  This is one that would be nice as a model.

Ron Merrick


Another "What do I do with this" quiz

Clark Propst
 

I a weak moment I picked up an Accurail box car at the mall show yesterday. It's box number is 4498 It's described as a 'Data Only - DK'. I thought it might work for the CL mini-kit, only noticing the steel door, but it has too many side posts. Besides the 3 posts on either side of the door which is corrugated steel it has 7/8 Murphy ends. 
The quiz part is: What can I make this car "Fairly" accurately?
Thanks lot for your advise,
CW Propst


Re: HO Scale Utah Coal Route GS Gondola Kits Available

Tim O'Connor
 


Corey I was very excited to see this car, and the model looks really good. :-)

But the LETTERING !! I'm beyond the time in my life when I am satisfied with
mediocre lettering. Would Ted Culotta be interested in doing lettering for your
models? His artwork is impeccable.

Anyway I'm hopeful something can be done, because I am really interested in
models of these cars. Were there any other owners of the same gondolas? They
remind me of some other GS gons.

Tim O'







On 12/7/2019 7:59 PM, Corey Bonsall wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've just completed a batch of Utah Coal Route GS gondola kits in HO scale, and listed them on Ebay.  There are two options for grab irons: solid "cast" type, and wire grab drill points.  Thanks for looking!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=bonsallscalecarshops&_sop=10






Corey Bonsall

Attachments:



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Re: HO Scale Utah Coal Route GS Gondola Kits Available

Tony Thompson
 

Corey Bonsall wrote:

I've just completed a batch of Utah Coal Route GS gondola kits in HO scale, and listed them on Ebay.  There are two options for grab irons: solid "cast" type, and wire grab drill points.  Thanks for looking!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=bonsallscalecarshops&_sop=10

    Doggonit, Corey! Now I have no excuse not to have accurate UCR cars!! But great choice, and I will look forward to seeing one of these.

Tony Thompson




HO Scale Utah Coal Route GS Gondola Kits Available

Corey Bonsall
 

Hello everyone,

I've just completed a batch of Utah Coal Route GS gondola kits in HO scale, and listed them on Ebay.  There are two options for grab irons: solid "cast" type, and wire grab drill points.  Thanks for looking!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=bonsallscalecarshops&_sop=10






Corey Bonsall


Re: Photo: Alaska RR Flat Car 12812 With Load

Bruce Smith
 

Note that the camping trailer appears to be without wheels and with a significant amount of piping underneath. 

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL


Re: IC 50 foot box car (was Photo: Bad Stencil Job)

Tim O'Connor
 

Thanks! That seller has several very nice images. I agree about the prices, though. The only
double digit pictures I've bought were from Bob's Photo, but I've cut back on that quite a lot!

On 12/7/2019 3:22 PM, Jeffrey White wrote:

Tim,

IC 2700-27499 were built at the IC car shops in Centralia IL in 1951 and you are correct they were built with 6 foot doors.  I hadn't seen that photo and I thought you were referring to the hide cars.  27500-27999 built at the same time had 8 foot doors.

2700-27499 had A3 Ride Control Trucks, 6 foot Camel doors, Universal handbrakes, Morton running boards and Improved Dreadnaught ends. Sides and ends wood lined and insulated roof.

Here is a photo of IC 34861 on eBay now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-train-slide-I-C-Illinois-Central-Railroad-34861-WOOD-Boxcar-1962/352878689302?hash=item5229357c16:g:4QsAAOSwAyld6E6b

Unfortunately the starting bid is more then I would pay for the slide, even though it's the only photo of one of those cars I've been able to find.

Jeff White

Alma, IL

On 12/7/2019 1:43 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Jeff

I'd love to see a photo of the IC 34990- series cars. However, the IC 27184 most
definitely does NOT have an auxiliary door. Since there are over 400 cars listed,
I think it's safe to say this car (27184) was built this way.

Tim O'Connor



On 12/7/2019 2:28 PM, Jeffrey White wrote:

Tim.

IC 34990 -34999 were originally automobile cars with 10 foot doors. They had Hutchins all steel roofs and Murphy ends. They had the Aux door closed and 50 ton trucks applied in 1954 and were assigned to hide loading service. This left them with 6 foot doors that weren't staggered. The car diagram says no metal panels.

5 cars were still in service on 1 January 1960. The IC 1960 equipment list shows 34 more identical cars numbered 34866-34899 in service on 1 January 1960 but they must have been converted after 1954 as those numbers don't show as hide cars in my 1954 freight car diagram book.

Jeff White

Alma, IL
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*


Re: Photo: Alaska RR Flat Car 12812 With Load

Curt Fortenberry
 


Dennis is exactly right as to ARR ORER data.   ARR kept it’s own roster info but all goods came by ship the old fashioned way.  All the locomotives too had to be by ship as well.  It was considered an overseas delivery. 

Curt Fortenberry 


Questions For The Group: Ladders & Grab Irons

Bob Chaparro
 

Questions For The Group: Ladders & Grab Irons

Was there a point in time at which full-length ladders became mandatory for rolling stock in interchange service, thereby replacing individual grab irons for car roof access?

Would this have been an AAR , Master Car Builders or Federal rule?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


Re: IC 50 foot box car (was Photo: Bad Stencil Job)

Jeffrey White
 

Tim,

IC 2700-27499 were built at the IC car shops in Centralia IL in 1951 and you are correct they were built with 6 foot doors.  I hadn't seen that photo and I thought you were referring to the hide cars.  27500-27999 built at the same time had 8 foot doors.

2700-27499 had A3 Ride Control Trucks, 6 foot Camel doors, Universal handbrakes, Morton running boards and Improved Dreadnaught ends. Sides and ends wood lined and insulated roof.

Here is a photo of IC 34861 on eBay now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-train-slide-I-C-Illinois-Central-Railroad-34861-WOOD-Boxcar-1962/352878689302?hash=item5229357c16:g:4QsAAOSwAyld6E6b

Unfortunately the starting bid is more then I would pay for the slide, even though it's the only photo of one of those cars I've been able to find.

Jeff White

Alma, IL

On 12/7/2019 1:43 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Jeff

I'd love to see a photo of the IC 34990- series cars. However, the IC 27184 most
definitely does NOT have an auxiliary door. Since there are over 400 cars listed,
I think it's safe to say this car (27184) was built this way.

Tim O'Connor



On 12/7/2019 2:28 PM, Jeffrey White wrote:

Tim.

IC 34990 -34999 were originally automobile cars with 10 foot doors. They had Hutchins all steel roofs and Murphy ends. They had the Aux door closed and 50 ton trucks applied in 1954 and were assigned to hide loading service. This left them with 6 foot doors that weren't staggered. The car diagram says no metal panels.

5 cars were still in service on 1 January 1960. The IC 1960 equipment list shows 34 more identical cars numbered 34866-34899 in service on 1 January 1960 but they must have been converted after 1954 as those numbers don't show as hide cars in my 1954 freight car diagram book.

Jeff White

Alma, IL

On 12/7/2019 12:08 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Of much greater interest to me is this IC 50 foot box car has a 6 foot door! :-)

Tim O'


On 12/2/2019 11:56 AM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

Photo: Bad Stencil Job

This is link to a photo from in the collection of the University of Utah:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s64q9921

Notice the tilted placement of the reweigh stencil. This could be my cover should I again botch a reweigh decal job...always a possibility.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


speaking of converters and such...

Tim O'Connor
 

A possible source for some freight car loads

http://steelmillmodelerssupply.com/

Tim O'



--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*


Re: Photo: Alaska RR Flat Car 12812 With Load

Tim O'Connor
 


I didn't know that! So every Alaskan freight car on delivery had to be loaded
onto a cargo ship! Including this one in Los Angeles in 1958. :-)




On 12/7/2019 2:39 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 11:18 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Strangely I can find no ORER entry for the Alaska prior to 1965.
That's likely because the ARR didn't interchange with anyone, so no one in the 'lower 48' had any need for information on their car fleet. That changed in 1963 with the introduction of the Hydro Train barge service to Seattle. I imagine it took a while before they realized they should be listed in the ORER.

Dennis Storzek

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Re: IC 50 foot box car (was Photo: Bad Stencil Job)

Tim O'Connor
 

Jeff

I'd love to see a photo of the IC 34990- series cars. However, the IC 27184 most
definitely does NOT have an auxiliary door. Since there are over 400 cars listed,
I think it's safe to say this car (27184) was built this way.

Tim O'Connor



On 12/7/2019 2:28 PM, Jeffrey White wrote:

Tim.

IC 34990 -34999 were originally automobile cars with 10 foot doors. They had Hutchins all steel roofs and Murphy ends. They had the Aux door closed and 50 ton trucks applied in 1954 and were assigned to hide loading service. This left them with 6 foot doors that weren't staggered. The car diagram says no metal panels.

5 cars were still in service on 1 January 1960. The IC 1960 equipment list shows 34 more identical cars numbered 34866-34899 in service on 1 January 1960 but they must have been converted after 1954 as those numbers don't show as hide cars in my 1954 freight car diagram book.

Jeff White

Alma, IL

On 12/7/2019 12:08 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Of much greater interest to me is this IC 50 foot box car has a 6 foot door! :-)

Tim O'


On 12/2/2019 11:56 AM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

Photo: Bad Stencil Job

This is link to a photo from in the collection of the University of Utah:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s64q9921

Notice the tilted placement of the reweigh stencil. This could be my cover should I again botch a reweigh decal job...always a possibility.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Re: Photo: Alaska RR Flat Car 12812 With Load

Dennis Storzek
 

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 11:18 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Strangely I can find no ORER entry for the Alaska prior to 1965.
That's likely because the ARR didn't interchange with anyone, so no one in the 'lower 48' had any need for information on their car fleet. That changed in 1963 with the introduction of the Hydro Train barge service to Seattle. I imagine it took a while before they realized they should be listed in the ORER.

Dennis Storzek