Date   

Re: ATSF 5714 Fx 8 color photo

John Barry
 

Nice castings Tom!

John Barry
 
ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736


On Monday, June 22, 2020, 05:45:49 PM EDT, Tom Madden via groups.io <pullmanboss@...> wrote:


Aaannnnnndd - the Resin Car Works kit:



Tom Madden


Re: Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

Schuyler Larrabee
 

I couldn’t see it all, either.

 

Schuyler

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenneth Montero
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 8:17 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

 

Bob,

 

Thank you. This one and the other emails are all very interesting and educational.

 

I was unable to read the "Company"  column of your chart, as it was truncated in your email. I don't know if I am the only reader having this problem.

 

May I ask if you could provide the information in an attachment? It may better survive the vagaries of email mutilation.

 

Again, Thank you.

 

Ken Montero

On 06/25/2020 7:29 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

 

 

1950s Southern California Model RR Manufacturers

I've had discussions with several people who are/were model railroad manufacturers and asked them about their fellow model railroad manufacturers who were in Southern California in the 1950s. This was golden age locally with many firms located in the area.

I learned in those days long past the manufacturers were somewhat of a fraternity who frequently met socially (usually monthly) to discuss the hobby and product plans.

Sometimes they traded product lines that were either in development or on the market. 

I started to compile a list of Southern California manufacturers from the decade of the 1950s. The current list is below. It is based on advertisements placed in Model Railroader in the 1950 through 1959 January issues plus interviews with folks who were still alive to confirm details.

One point I will mention is how to pronounce the name "Suydam". I learned from the son of one of the company founders that it is pronounced "So Damn", as in "It is so damn hot outside".

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

++++

1950s Southern California Model RR Manufacturers

 

Company

Primary Products

City

Original Owner(s)

Subsequent Owner(s)

A.C.I.

Locomotive

Long Beach

Ace Products

Roadbed

Pasadena

Art Fleming Models

Grab Irons, Car Kits

Studio City

Athearn

O & HO Models

Los Angeles

Irvin R. Athearn

Ayres Models

Structures

Garden Grove

Thomas Ayres

Baumgarten

Track Cleaner

Santa Barbara

Beemax Plastics

Structures

Los Angeles

Bert Welch Co.

Trees & Bushes

Los Angeles

Bill Johnson Model Trains

O Scale Passenger Cars

Long Beach

Binkley Models

HO, HOn3 Kits

Inglewood

Blue Line Products

Passenger Cars

Spring Valley

Bowser

Steam Loco & Parts

Redlands

Lewis English (1961)

Boxcar Ken

Rail

Los Angeles

Budd Model Co.

Steam Loco Parts

Sherman Oaks

C. J. Ulrich

Track Cleaner, Signals

North Hollywood

Charles J. Ulrich

Central Valley

Trucks, Car Kits

North Hollywood

George Hook

Jack Parker, Jeff Parker

Champion Model Co.

Decals

North Hollywood

Cliff Line

Caboose Kit

North Hollywood

Devore

O & HO Couplers

South Pasadena

Don Fowler Co.

Semaphore, Crossing Gate, Wig-Wag

Los Angeles

E. Suydam & Co.

Structures

Pasadena, Duarte

Edward C. Suydam, Douglas R. Suydam

Electronic Sales Co.

Power Supplies, Motors, Controls

Los Angeles

G. L. Electronics

Power Supplies, Motors, Controls

Los Angeles

Globe

Hi-Ballers Corp.

Link & Pin Couplers, Car Kits

Burbank

Joseph B. Maier

Live Steam Loco Plans

Pacoima

Kadee

Couplers

Reseda

Dale Edwards

Kurtz-Kraft Models Co.

Signals,Switch Machines, Car Kits, Parts

Long Beach, Tarzana

Albert Kurtz, Jr.

KWR, Inc.

Locomotives

Los Angeles

Lindsay Products, Inc.

Locomotives, Motors, Spiker

Culver City

Robert Lindsay

Little Engines

Live Steam Loco & Parts

Lomita

Mod-Ac Mfg. Co.

Hansom Cab

Los Angeles

Model Builder's Supply Co.

Hot Metal Car, Water Tank

Duarte

Model Die Casting

Couplers, Handcars, Paint

Los Angeles

Clarence Mentier

Model Engineering Works

O & HO Parts, Kits

Monrovia

Richard Wheeler

Model Toy Mfg. Co.

Structures

Burbank

Modelcraft Printing Services

Doors, Windows

Pasadena

Models & Miniatures Specialties

Scenery Supplies

San Dimas

Modelton

Structures, Billboard Posters

Burbank

Moyes J. Murphy

Power Supplies

Arcadia

Olson-Spencer

Builders Plates

Los Angeles

Pacific Design & Development Co.

Motors

El Segundo

Pactra Chemical Co.

Paint

Los Angeles

Revell

Train Sets

Hollywood

Lewis H. Glaser

Robico

O & HO Locomotive, Cars

Universal City

Rollins House Miniatures

Detail Parts

Covina, Cucamonga

Silver Streak Corp.

Car Kits

Los Angeles

Standard Wire & Cable

Power Supplies, Motors, Controls

Culver City

Stewart-Lundahl Co.

Paint (310M)

North Hollywood

Ulrich?

Town-Craft Models

O & HO Structures

Hermosa Beach

Tru-Scale

Track & Roadbed

San Dimas

August A. Kniff

Cliff Meistel

W. H. Olson

Builders Plates

Los Angeles

Wesley Mfg. Co.

Cannonball Products, Ore Cars

Van Nuys

Western Narrow Gauge Model Shop

Track Gauge

Inglewood

Zenith Model Co.

Power Supplies

Los Angeles

Clover Custom Decals

Decals

Santa Monica

Silver Streak (Truce Scale))

Car Kits

San Dimas

K & O Models

Locomotive, Power Pack

Van Nuys

G. F. Harbin

Reostat

San Dimas

Gaylord Products

Power Supplies, Controls

Van Nuys

Wright Enterprises/MHP

 

Thousand Oaks

Dick Wright

 

 

1950 Champ decals in North Hollywood, 1951 Champion Decal Co. in Fresno, 1959 in San Jose

1950 Kurtz-Kraft in Burlingame, 1953 in Long Beach, 1955 in Oroville

Olson-Spencer probably same as W. H. Olson

1958 Weston Mini-Figure Co. in Healdsburg

1959 Clover Decals in  Santa Rosa

1959 Cal-Scale in Pinedale

 

 


Re: Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

Tony Thompson
 

And a tiny nit in Bob's list: the Stewart-Lundahl paint was 410M. I struggled with it myself, so I am sure of the answer <g>.

Tony Thompson
tony@signaturepress.com


Re: Bob's Photo Still in business?

Matthew Hurst
 

Yes he is still in business. 

He doesn’t have email. 

Just call him. He will answer

Matthew Hurst


On Jun 25, 2020, at 8:22 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:


Yes, he doesn't use email, his phone number is(808)845-3323
Fenton

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 8:19 PM Rick Naylor <thehobbystop@...> wrote:
Does anyone know if Bob of Bob's Photo is still operating? The Email is not valid any more.

Bob's Photo address is:
P.O. Box 52
Wallingford, KY 41093
606-845-3323



--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...


Re: Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

Tony Thompson
 

I don't believe that Globe should be in the very interesting list sent by Bob Chaparro. They were founded in Milwaukee, moved to Chicago late in their life, and were bought by Athearn in the early 1950s. I have encapsulated their history (and some of their ads) in a blog post awhile back, and if you're interested, here is a link:

https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2017/10/some-old-metal-tank-car-kits.html

Tony Thompson
tony@signaturepress.com


Re: Bob's Photo Still in business?

O Fenton Wells
 

Yes, he doesn't use email, his phone number is(808)845-3323
Fenton

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 8:19 PM Rick Naylor <thehobbystop@...> wrote:
Does anyone know if Bob of Bob's Photo is still operating? The Email is not valid any more.

Bob's Photo address is:
P.O. Box 52
Wallingford, KY 41093
606-845-3323



--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...


Bob's Photo Still in business?

Rick Naylor
 

Does anyone know if Bob of Bob's Photo is still operating? The Email is not valid any more.

Bob's Photo address is:
P.O. Box 52
Wallingford, KY 41093
606-845-3323


Re: Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

Kenneth Montero
 

Bob,

Thank you. This one and the other emails are all very interesting and educational.

I was unable to read the "Company"  column of your chart, as it was truncated in your email. I don't know if I am the only reader having this problem.

May I ask if you could provide the information in an attachment? It may better survive the vagaries of email mutilation.

Again, Thank you.

Ken Montero

On 06/25/2020 7:29 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:


1950s Southern California Model RR Manufacturers

I've had discussions with several people who are/were model railroad manufacturers and asked them about their fellow model railroad manufacturers who were in Southern California in the 1950s. This was golden age locally with many firms located in the area.

I learned in those days long past the manufacturers were somewhat of a fraternity who frequently met socially (usually monthly) to discuss the hobby and product plans.

Sometimes they traded product lines that were either in development or on the market.  

I started to compile a list of Southern California manufacturers from the decade of the 1950s. The current list is below. It is based on advertisements placed in Model Railroader in the 1950 through 1959 January issues plus interviews with folks who were still alive to confirm details.

One point I will mention is how to pronounce the name "Suydam". I learned from the son of one of the company founders that it is pronounced "So Damn", as in "It is so damn hot outside".

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

++++

1950s Southern California Model RR Manufacturers


Company

Primary Products

City

Original Owner(s)

Subsequent Owner(s)






A.C.I.

Locomotive

Long Beach



Ace Products

Roadbed

Pasadena



Art Fleming Models

Grab Irons, Car Kits

Studio City



Athearn

O & HO Models

Los Angeles

Irvin R. Athearn


Ayres Models

Structures

Garden Grove

Thomas Ayres


Baumgarten

Track Cleaner

Santa Barbara



Beemax Plastics

Structures

Los Angeles



Bert Welch Co.

Trees & Bushes

Los Angeles



Bill Johnson Model Trains

O Scale Passenger Cars

Long Beach



Binkley Models

HO, HOn3 Kits

Inglewood



Blue Line Products

Passenger Cars

Spring Valley



Bowser

Steam Loco & Parts

Redlands


Lewis English (1961)

Boxcar Ken

Rail

Los Angeles



Budd Model Co.

Steam Loco Parts

Sherman Oaks



C. J. Ulrich

Track Cleaner, Signals

North Hollywood

Charles J. Ulrich


Central Valley

Trucks, Car Kits

North Hollywood

George Hook

Jack Parker, Jeff Parker

Champion Model Co.

Decals

North Hollywood



Cliff Line

Caboose Kit

North Hollywood



Devore

O & HO Couplers

South Pasadena



Don Fowler Co.

Semaphore, Crossing Gate, Wig-Wag

Los Angeles



E. Suydam & Co.

Structures

Pasadena, Duarte

Edward C. Suydam, Douglas R. Suydam


Electronic Sales Co.

Power Supplies, Motors, Controls

Los Angeles



G. L. Electronics

Power Supplies, Motors, Controls

Los Angeles



Globe





Hi-Ballers Corp.

Link & Pin Couplers, Car Kits

Burbank



Joseph B. Maier

Live Steam Loco Plans

Pacoima



Kadee

Couplers

Reseda

Dale Edwards


Kurtz-Kraft Models Co.

Signals,Switch Machines, Car Kits, Parts

Long Beach, Tarzana

Albert Kurtz, Jr.


KWR, Inc.

Locomotives

Los Angeles



Lindsay Products, Inc.

Locomotives, Motors, Spiker

Culver City

Robert Lindsay


Little Engines

Live Steam Loco & Parts

Lomita



Mod-Ac Mfg. Co.

Hansom Cab

Los Angeles



Model Builder's Supply Co.

Hot Metal Car, Water Tank

Duarte



Model Die Casting

Couplers, Handcars, Paint

Los Angeles

Clarence Mentier


Model Engineering Works

O & HO Parts, Kits

Monrovia

Richard Wheeler


Model Toy Mfg. Co.

Structures

Burbank



Modelcraft Printing Services

Doors, Windows

Pasadena



Models & Miniatures Specialties

Scenery Supplies

San Dimas



Modelton

Structures, Billboard Posters

Burbank



Moyes J. Murphy

Power Supplies

Arcadia



Olson-Spencer

Builders Plates

Los Angeles



Pacific Design & Development Co.

Motors

El Segundo



Pactra Chemical Co.

Paint

Los Angeles



Revell

Train Sets

Hollywood

Lewis H. Glaser


Robico

O & HO Locomotive, Cars

Universal City



Rollins House Miniatures

Detail Parts

Covina, Cucamonga



Silver Streak Corp.

Car Kits

Los Angeles



Standard Wire & Cable

Power Supplies, Motors, Controls

Culver City



Stewart-Lundahl Co.

Paint (310M)

North Hollywood


Ulrich?

Town-Craft Models

O & HO Structures

Hermosa Beach



Tru-Scale

Track & Roadbed

San Dimas

August A. Kniff

Cliff Meistel

W. H. Olson

Builders Plates

Los Angeles



Wesley Mfg. Co.

Cannonball Products, Ore Cars

Van Nuys



Western Narrow Gauge Model Shop

Track Gauge

Inglewood



Zenith Model Co.

Power Supplies

Los Angeles








Clover Custom Decals

Decals

Santa Monica



Silver Streak (Truce Scale))

Car Kits

San Dimas



K & O Models

Locomotive, Power Pack

Van Nuys



G. F. Harbin

Reostat

San Dimas



Gaylord Products

Power Supplies, Controls

Van Nuys























Wright Enterprises/MHP

 

Thousand Oaks

Dick Wright




1950 Champ decals in North Hollywood, 1951 Champion Decal Co. in Fresno, 1959 in San Jose

1950 Kurtz-Kraft in Burlingame, 1953 in Long Beach, 1955 in Oroville

Olson-Spencer probably same as W. H. Olson

1958 Weston Mini-Figure Co. in Healdsburg

1959 Clover Decals in  Santa Rosa

1959 Cal-Scale in Pinedale




Re: Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

Tony Thompson
 

Bob Chaparro wrote:

One point I will mention is how to pronounce the name "Suydam". I learned from the son of one of the company founders that it is pronounced "So Damn", as in "It is so damn hot outside".

    As a teen growing up in the '50's in southern California, my local hobby shop told me to pronounce it "sigh-dam." Of course the original Dutch is quite different from either of these versions.

Tony Thompson




Re: Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

Bob Chaparro
 

1950s Southern California Model RR Manufacturers

I've had discussions with several people who are/were model railroad manufacturers and asked them about their fellow model railroad manufacturers who were in Southern California in the 1950s. This was golden age locally with many firms located in the area.

I learned in those days long past the manufacturers were somewhat of a fraternity who frequently met socially (usually monthly) to discuss the hobby and product plans.

Sometimes they traded product lines that were either in development or on the market.  

I started to compile a list of Southern California manufacturers from the decade of the 1950s. The current list is below. It is based on advertisements placed in Model Railroader in the 1950 through 1959 January issues plus interviews with folks who were still alive to confirm details.

One point I will mention is how to pronounce the name "Suydam". I learned from the son of one of the company founders that it is pronounced "So Damn", as in "It is so damn hot outside".

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

++++

1950s Southern California Model RR Manufacturers

 

Company

Primary Products

City

Original Owner(s)

Subsequent Owner(s)

 

 

 

 

 

A.C.I.

Locomotive

Long Beach

 

 

Ace Products

Roadbed

Pasadena

 

 

Art Fleming Models

Grab Irons, Car Kits

Studio City

 

 

Athearn

O & HO Models

Los Angeles

Irvin R. Athearn

 

Ayres Models

Structures

Garden Grove

Thomas Ayres

 

Baumgarten

Track Cleaner

Santa Barbara

 

 

Beemax Plastics

Structures

Los Angeles

 

 

Bert Welch Co.

Trees & Bushes

Los Angeles

 

 

Bill Johnson Model Trains

O Scale Passenger Cars

Long Beach

 

 

Binkley Models

HO, HOn3 Kits

Inglewood

 

 

Blue Line Products

Passenger Cars

Spring Valley

 

 

Bowser

Steam Loco & Parts

Redlands

 

Lewis English (1961)

Boxcar Ken

Rail

Los Angeles

 

 

Budd Model Co.

Steam Loco Parts

Sherman Oaks

 

 

C. J. Ulrich

Track Cleaner, Signals

North Hollywood

Charles J. Ulrich

 

Central Valley

Trucks, Car Kits

North Hollywood

George Hook

Jack Parker, Jeff Parker

Champion Model Co.

Decals

North Hollywood

 

 

Cliff Line

Caboose Kit

North Hollywood

 

 

Devore

O & HO Couplers

South Pasadena

 

 

Don Fowler Co.

Semaphore, Crossing Gate, Wig-Wag

Los Angeles

 

 

E. Suydam & Co.

Structures

Pasadena, Duarte

Edward C. Suydam, Douglas R. Suydam

 

Electronic Sales Co.

Power Supplies, Motors, Controls

Los Angeles

 

 

G. L. Electronics

Power Supplies, Motors, Controls

Los Angeles

 

 

Globe

 

 

 

 

Hi-Ballers Corp.

Link & Pin Couplers, Car Kits

Burbank

 

 

Joseph B. Maier

Live Steam Loco Plans

Pacoima

 

 

Kadee

Couplers

Reseda

Dale Edwards

 

Kurtz-Kraft Models Co.

Signals,Switch Machines, Car Kits, Parts

Long Beach, Tarzana

Albert Kurtz, Jr.

 

KWR, Inc.

Locomotives

Los Angeles

 

 

Lindsay Products, Inc.

Locomotives, Motors, Spiker

Culver City

Robert Lindsay

 

Little Engines

Live Steam Loco & Parts

Lomita

 

 

Mod-Ac Mfg. Co.

Hansom Cab

Los Angeles

 

 

Model Builder's Supply Co.

Hot Metal Car, Water Tank

Duarte

 

 

Model Die Casting

Couplers, Handcars, Paint

Los Angeles

Clarence Mentier

 

Model Engineering Works

O & HO Parts, Kits

Monrovia

Richard Wheeler

 

Model Toy Mfg. Co.

Structures

Burbank

 

 

Modelcraft Printing Services

Doors, Windows

Pasadena

 

 

Models & Miniatures Specialties

Scenery Supplies

San Dimas

 

 

Modelton

Structures, Billboard Posters

Burbank

 

 

Moyes J. Murphy

Power Supplies

Arcadia

 

 

Olson-Spencer

Builders Plates

Los Angeles

 

 

Pacific Design & Development Co.

Motors

El Segundo

 

 

Pactra Chemical Co.

Paint

Los Angeles

 

 

Revell

Train Sets

Hollywood

Lewis H. Glaser

 

Robico

O & HO Locomotive, Cars

Universal City

 

 

Rollins House Miniatures

Detail Parts

Covina, Cucamonga

 

 

Silver Streak Corp.

Car Kits

Los Angeles

 

 

Standard Wire & Cable

Power Supplies, Motors, Controls

Culver City

 

 

Stewart-Lundahl Co.

Paint (310M)

North Hollywood

 

Ulrich?

Town-Craft Models

O & HO Structures

Hermosa Beach

 

 

Tru-Scale

Track & Roadbed

San Dimas

August A. Kniff

Cliff Meistel

W. H. Olson

Builders Plates

Los Angeles

 

 

Wesley Mfg. Co.

Cannonball Products, Ore Cars

Van Nuys

 

 

Western Narrow Gauge Model Shop

Track Gauge

Inglewood

 

 

Zenith Model Co.

Power Supplies

Los Angeles

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clover Custom Decals

Decals

Santa Monica

 

 

Silver Streak (Truce Scale))

Car Kits

San Dimas

 

 

K & O Models

Locomotive, Power Pack

Van Nuys

 

 

G. F. Harbin

Reostat

San Dimas

 

 

Gaylord Products

Power Supplies, Controls

Van Nuys

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wright Enterprises/MHP

 

Thousand Oaks

Dick Wright

 

 

 

1950 Champ decals in North Hollywood, 1951 Champion Decal Co. in Fresno, 1959 in San Jose

1950 Kurtz-Kraft in Burlingame, 1953 in Long Beach, 1955 in Oroville

Olson-Spencer probably same as W. H. Olson

1958 Weston Mini-Figure Co. in Healdsburg

1959 Clover Decals in  Santa Rosa

1959 Cal-Scale in Pinedale

 

 


Re: Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

Bob Chaparro
 

The Train-Master story is true: https://groups.io/g/ModelRailroadsofSoCalif/message/14937?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,train+master,20,2,0,59798692

I don't believe they were a direct descendent of Silver Streak or Tru-Scale but they did pick-up some product lines from those companies. When I visited their production facility in La Mesa. CA, during the NMRA Silvergate Convention oh-so-many years ago they represented themselves as a new company.

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA


Re: Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

Steven D Johnson
 

Lester, if I recall correctly, HO Collector magazine ran an article on that very subject.  I cannot find that issue at the moment to access that article.  Maybe someone else in this group can locate that issue.   

 

Steve Johnson

 

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lester Breuer
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 2:46 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

 

Wondering if someone has information as to why the two names?
Lester Breuer


Pennsy H21 and H25

Armand Premo
 

Ben and Bruce  Well,I did say I was a neophyte..Thank you both for for your help and collective information.Armand Premo


Re: Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

Richard Townsend
 

I think much of this is really just a summary of who owned some of the tooling at various times, not a summary of corporate changes.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR


-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...>
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 1:21 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

Les here is a history that involves a lot of name changes, and no doubt change of owners as well. Found at http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/258610.aspx
 
 
Started out as Tru-Scale Models freight and building kit line....
 
Then became Silver-Streak Models Plastic Line....
 
On to becoming Train Master of San Diego....
 
Next for the longest run as Train Miniature of La Mesa...
 
Moving to Illinois, they became Train Miniature of Illinois....
 
Ending as Wm. K. Walthers Company of Milwaukee...
 
The Walthers 50'0" Airslide kit tooling was cut by TMofI, before they went under....
 
TMofI did the tooling for a least one Weaver Models O Scale Car Kit....
 
TM announced in later 1971 that both a powered and dummy Fairbanks Morse H-16-44 would be released in 1972..... Was released by Willie K. some years later
 
TM 50'0" 1 1/2 XM was annnounced for release in May 1972....Did the tooling ever exist??????
 
TM for the years that the glass window packaging was used had a 36 single dome tank car drawing....Tooling was cut...but never released...until Willie K. did some years later...
 
TM did indeed cut tooling and did produce a very limited number of the 42'0" drop bottom gondola... A new product announcement did appear in MR, with a photograph of the undec model....
 
TMofI had injected molded kit boxes, that were not tall enough to contain assembled high car kits.....
 
Then switched to cheap carboard boxes, the paper thickness being the rolls for paper towels....
 
A interesting company (s).....
 
 
 
Doug  Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org
 
 
 
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lester Breuer
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 2:46 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature
 
Wondering if someone has information as to why the two names?
Lester Breuer


Re: SP F-70-7 image

Tony Thompson
 

Steel coils.
Tony Thompson 


On Jun 25, 2020, at 1:44 PM, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:


With a "return to Ogden" stencil and the interesting shipping bracket of some kind, this is a good shot of an SP ACF built F-70-7. Anyone know what assignment this car was used for? Seems to have been at least two of these special cars.
Regards,
-Andy Carlson   Ojai CA

<SP F-70-7 flat car.jpg>


<SP F-70-7 flat car.jpg>


Re: Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...>
 

Friends,

I have heard that Fairbanks-Morse, which had a trademark on "Train Master" objected to the model railroad name. Maybe this is a myth, but that sort of thing is common now with UP and CSX especially demanding a license to use their heralds and other marks on commercial models.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 4:21 PM Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

Les here is a history that involves a lot of name changes, and no doubt change of owners as well. Found at http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/258610.aspx

 

 

Started out as Tru-Scale Models freight and building kit line....

 

Then became Silver-Streak Models Plastic Line....

 

On to becoming Train Master of San Diego....

 

Next for the longest run as Train Miniature of La Mesa...

 

Moving to Illinois, they became Train Miniature of Illinois....

 

Ending as Wm. K. Walthers Company of Milwaukee...

 

The Walthers 50'0" Airslide kit tooling was cut by TMofI, before they went under....

 

TMofI did the tooling for a least one Weaver Models O Scale Car Kit....

 

TM announced in later 1971 that both a powered and dummy Fairbanks Morse H-16-44 would be released in 1972..... Was released by Willie K. some years later

 

TM 50'0" 1 1/2 XM was annnounced for release in May 1972....Did the tooling ever exist??????

 

TM for the years that the glass window packaging was used had a 36 single dome tank car drawing....Tooling was cut...but never released...until Willie K. did some years later...

 

TM did indeed cut tooling and did produce a very limited number of the 42'0" drop bottom gondola... A new product announcement did appear in MR, with a photograph of the undec model....

 

TMofI had injected molded kit boxes, that were not tall enough to contain assembled high car kits.....

 

Then switched to cheap carboard boxes, the paper thickness being the rolls for paper towels....

 

A interesting company (s).....

 

 

 

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

 

 

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lester Breuer
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 2:46 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

 

Wondering if someone has information as to why the two names?
Lester Breuer


Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Virginian Freight Cars

Gatwood, Elden J SAD
 

Matt;

 

Yes, $, for many.  Cor-Ten was not cheap.  Other steels, ditto.  USS alone produced many different steels to accommodate end user needs.  I saw a financial analysis on this in PRR correspondence, at one time.

 

Elden Gatwood

 

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Matt Goodman via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:35 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Virginian Freight Cars

 

Dennis; re: paint, I see your point. The mid eighties were the period that paint on the roofs and hoods of cars (automobiles) performed very poorly (flaking, fading and otherwise failing). Thanks for pointing that out. 

 

Eldon, I’d read about “copper bearing steel” used in N&W coal hoppers in the twenties and thirties. The railroad looked into CorTen steel at some point in the STMFC era, but didn’t use it, for reasons I don’t recall (value for $, probably). I didn’t pay much attention to later non-STMFC chapters of Andrew Dow’s excellent book on the topic. Perhaps the Virginian was a different story. 

 

Thanks for the replies. 

Matt Goodman

Columbus, Ohio

 

Sent from my mobile


On Jun 25, 2020, at 12:36 PM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:



To add;

 

Steel performance did vary over time.  The “coal” (and other) RRs were constantly looking for something better to build their hoppers from, particularly for slope and side sheets.  I have read plenty of correspondence in which this exact issue is discussed.  Over time, the steel companies supplied the RRs and builders, with steel whose properties were increasingly resistant to corrosion, “Cor-Ten” being one USS product.  Hoppers rotted more quickly than others, due to their prevalence in hauling coal, which generated sulfuric acid, for one.  Hoppers did get better at not corroding as fast, with new formula steels.

 

Elden Gatwood

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dennis Storzek
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 12:00 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Virginian Freight Cars

 

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 07:12 PM, Matt Goodman wrote:

I can’t imagine steel and coal reacted much differently then vs 1985. 

 

But paint did. The National Environmental Protection Act of 1970 was not kind to paint manufacturers, forcing them to stop using a lot of traditional materials, all to the detriment of paint performance.

I think what you are looking at is the original black paint is at the end of its useful life, the entire surface eroded to the point where rust is bleeding through. Note the brown cast, compared to the newer black paint on the patch panels. The pigment washing off the letters is white, but it is mixing with the rust residue to become a light brown. A general wash of brown over the whole car would likely duplicate the effect, but I'm not sure you want to. That general overall haze of rust does not seem to be common in steam era photos, unless it is dust from the environment, such as found on the iron ore roads.

Dennis Storzek


SP F-70-7 image

Andy Carlson
 

With a "return to Ogden" stencil and the interesting shipping bracket of some kind, this is a good shot of an SP ACF built F-70-7. Anyone know what assignment this car was used for? Seems to have been at least two of these special cars.
Regards,
-Andy Carlson   Ojai CA

Inline image


Re: Pennsy H25

Bruce Smith
 

Well Armand,

First, the PRR did not have any such classes. Now, they did have H21 and H25, but no H-21 or H-25 😉  Now, if by chance, you've been ignoring Bern Hom for, I don't know, the past 20 years or more, and you MEANT H21 and H25 (BTW, I fixed the subject line), we can address those. 

1) The H21/H21A had a large box end sill, while the H25 had one piece pressed steel end sills. 
2) The H21 had split end verticals while the H25 has solid end verticals.
3) The side stakes on the H21 had asymmetric tapers with the top taper longer than the bottom while the H25 has symmetric tapers.
4) The H21 is stenciled "H21" while the H25 is stenciled "H25" (usually!)

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL


From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Armand Premo <arm.p.prem@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 3:08 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Pennsy H-25
 
Being the Neophyte that I am,what are the basic differences between the H-21 and the H-25 ? Armand Premo


Re: Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

Douglas Harding
 

Les here is a history that involves a lot of name changes, and no doubt change of owners as well. Found at http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/258610.aspx

 

 

Started out as Tru-Scale Models freight and building kit line....

 

Then became Silver-Streak Models Plastic Line....

 

On to becoming Train Master of San Diego....

 

Next for the longest run as Train Miniature of La Mesa...

 

Moving to Illinois, they became Train Miniature of Illinois....

 

Ending as Wm. K. Walthers Company of Milwaukee...

 

The Walthers 50'0" Airslide kit tooling was cut by TMofI, before they went under....

 

TMofI did the tooling for a least one Weaver Models O Scale Car Kit....

 

TM announced in later 1971 that both a powered and dummy Fairbanks Morse H-16-44 would be released in 1972..... Was released by Willie K. some years later

 

TM 50'0" 1 1/2 XM was annnounced for release in May 1972....Did the tooling ever exist??????

 

TM for the years that the glass window packaging was used had a 36 single dome tank car drawing....Tooling was cut...but never released...until Willie K. did some years later...

 

TM did indeed cut tooling and did produce a very limited number of the 42'0" drop bottom gondola... A new product announcement did appear in MR, with a photograph of the undec model....

 

TMofI had injected molded kit boxes, that were not tall enough to contain assembled high car kits.....

 

Then switched to cheap carboard boxes, the paper thickness being the rolls for paper towels....

 

A interesting company (s).....

 

 

 

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

 

 

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lester Breuer
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 2:46 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

 

Wondering if someone has information as to why the two names?
Lester Breuer

11401 - 11420 of 186204