Date   

Re: Weathering A 1920s Tank Car

Tony Thompson
 

Todd Sullivan wrote:

Except that, if the tank car is insulated, the tank bands would be installed to run under the insulation so they could securely clamp the tank to the frame.  Tank car insulation was asbestos sheet covered by a thin metal jacket . . .

Not ordinarily, unless hot cargoes were expected. Magnesite was more common, and fiberglass batts were used too. Lots of photos of both at AC&F.
    But Todd's point is that hold-down bands were NOT outside jackets, important to know.

Tony Thompson




Re: Hindsight 20/20 5.0

rwilson1056
 

Found the National Stocktard for Jacksonville FL in one of the Sanborns for the city, see attached


Re: Photo: Swift & Company Shed

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
 


Hi Bob,
 
Great image you found there!
 
I especially like the two wildly disparate types of end-of-track bumpers that are right next to one another.
 
Claus Schlund
 
 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2020 3:34 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Swift & Company Shed

For some reason the little frame building with the brick chimney reminds me of a paper barbershop sold by Carsten's decades ago in a book of paper buildings you could cut out and assemble. That really dates me. 

Pat Wade
Santna Barbara, CA

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 12:21 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Swift & Company Shed

A photo from the Denver Public Library:

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll21/id/3846/rec/102

Click on the double-headed arrow and then scroll to enlarge the image.

Description:

A view of a Swift and Company wood building in the Platte Valley rail yard in Denver, Colorado. An ad poster for Swift and Company is on the front of the building; railroad cars are behind the building and the 16th Street viaduct is in the distance. A sign above the doorway reads "Swift & Company".

My guess this is a minor repair facility for company reefers and livestock cars. Does anyone have an alternative explanation?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


Re: Photo: Swift & Company Shed

Dave Parker
 

That's a cool photo, but the library's guess as to the date (1935) is way off.  The lettering scheme on the second car is pre-WWI, and the cars are not SAA-compliant.  I'd say 1910-15, possibly earlier.  Too bad we can't read any car numbers.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA


Re: Photo: Swift & Company Shed

Patrick Wade
 

For some reason the little frame building with the brick chimney reminds me of a paper barbershop sold by Carsten's decades ago in a book of paper buildings you could cut out and assemble. That really dates me. 

Pat Wade
Santna Barbara, CA

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 12:21 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Swift & Company Shed

A photo from the Denver Public Library:

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll21/id/3846/rec/102

Click on the double-headed arrow and then scroll to enlarge the image.

Description:

A view of a Swift and Company wood building in the Platte Valley rail yard in Denver, Colorado. An ad poster for Swift and Company is on the front of the building; railroad cars are behind the building and the 16th Street viaduct is in the distance. A sign above the doorway reads "Swift & Company".

My guess this is a minor repair facility for company reefers and livestock cars. Does anyone have an alternative explanation?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


Re: Photos: Staley Tank Cars

Bob Chaparro
 

I should have noted this was a model.
Sorry.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA


Photo: Swift & Company Shed

Bob Chaparro
 

Photo: Swift & Company Shed

A photo from the Denver Public Library:

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll21/id/3846/rec/102

Click on the double-headed arrow and then scroll to enlarge the image.

Description:

A view of a Swift and Company wood building in the Platte Valley rail yard in Denver, Colorado. An ad poster for Swift and Company is on the front of the building; railroad cars are behind the building and the 16th Street viaduct is in the distance. A sign above the doorway reads "Swift & Company".

My guess this is a minor repair facility for company reefers and livestock cars. Does anyone have an alternative explanation?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


Re: Photos: Staley Tank Cars

Tom Madden
 

Second photo is a model. Or is Bob having a joke here??

Tom Madden


Photos: Staley Tank Cars

Bob Chaparro
 

Photos: Staley Tank Cars

Photos from the Decatur Herald & Review:

AESX 355 (Built 1920)

https://tinyurl.com/y7ec64kp

AESX 628

https://tinyurl.com/ycemkfdo

Click photo to enlarge.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


YouTube video...

Jack Burgess
 

A new YouTube video has just been released and this one is on a Proto48 weed burner that I built some years ago. Not actually a freight car but you might find some interesting tips, etc. It is at:

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcZ6fFVWZhk

 

 

Jack Burgess


Re: Rapido GLa Hopper

Gavin
 

Well that's unfortunate, but I might pick up a few anyway as filler, or look for the Bowser kit. Currently I'm on the hunt for TLT 8 Hatch Reefers, and I'm hoping Atlas bought the tooling


On Sat, Dec 26, 2020, 6:00 AM David via groups.io <jaydeet2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
It looks to me like Rapido is aiming for the modernized PRR version
(higher rivet row for the sides of the hopper bays, and inboard top eave
angle), while the Bowser car is a post-Safety Appliances but otherwise
as-built Gla. The Rapido tooling sample still needs some work (clean up
the rivet configuration on the sides, upper taper on the side posts, add
the reinforcements on the side posts for the crossties). Unfortunately,
this means all non-PRR roadnames will not be accurate.

David Thompson






Re: Decals for 1930's boxcars?

Thomas Klosterman
 

How about Mount Vernon Shops?


Re: Rapido GLa Hopper

Gerald Henriksen
 

On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 23:45:35 -0500, you wrote:

Aw so the CN cars are inaccurate?
Yep, afraid so. They're twin hoppers of the same general size and
configuration of the Gla, but many of the details are different (end
sill shape, interior and overall length, height and shape of the
crossridge). The GT/CN hoppers are a uniquely Canadian design, the sort
of thing Rapido might have done in their earlier days.
Maybe.

I suspect Rapido would question the viability of producing any
Canadian design car that primarily existed in the steam-only era given
the struggles to sell their Canadian steam locos - a clear indication
that there simply aren't enough steam era Canadian prototype
modellers.

The exception might be if they were seen a lot in the US and thus US
modellers would buy it, but I'm guessing there aren't a lot of options
in that era.


Re: Rapido GLa Hopper--Anthracite carloads on Great Northern

Charles Peck
 

If I recall correctly (a big if), wasn't anthracite used as carbon filtration in water plants?
If so, fuel was not the only need for northeast hoppers far afield. 
Chuck Peck

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 10:06 AM mrvant@... <mrvant@...> wrote:
A lot of western coal was shipped in boxcars on CP. Prairie towns had coal merchants’ bins with the trackside loading bins even with a boxcar floor and the coal was shovelled into them. OCS coal for CP in NB for those coal loader derrick contraptions came by boxcar from local mines too.


Re: Rapido GLa Hopper--Anthracite carloads on Great Northern

mrvant@rogers.com
 

A lot of western coal was shipped in boxcars on CP. Prairie towns had coal merchants’ bins with the trackside loading bins even with a boxcar floor and the coal was shovelled into them. OCS coal for CP in NB for those coal loader derrick contraptions came by boxcar from local mines too.


Rapido GLa Hopper

David
 

It looks to me like Rapido is aiming for the modernized PRR version (higher rivet row for the sides of the hopper bays, and inboard top eave angle), while the Bowser car is a post-Safety Appliances but otherwise as-built Gla. The Rapido tooling sample still needs some work (clean up the rivet configuration on the sides, upper taper on the side posts, add the reinforcements on the side posts for the crossties). Unfortunately, this means all non-PRR roadnames will not be accurate.

David Thompson


Re: Rapido GLa Hopper

Gavin
 

Honestly that's what I love any modeling Vancouver, you have 4 US railways that interchange with you, and several shortlines plus the Kettle Valley/ E&N subdivisions that connected at Hope/Vancouver


On Fri, Dec 25, 2020, 10:14 PM Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:
Nice! Comparison with the Rapido model does credit to the comparison.  A few detail changes and it would be hard to tell…

Rob

On Dec 25, 2020, at 5:42 PM, Doug Rhodes <farronhill@...> wrote:

The following was posted on another list and may be of interest:
 
www.nakina.net has this image: http://nakina.net/photos/cn1/cn117312.jpg which is one of the numbers Rapido is offering in CN.  
 
Doug Rhodes
 
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles Peck
Sent: December 25, 2020 3:41 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Rapido GLa Hopper
 
In one old man 's view, if it were not for foobies and stand-ins, a lot of otherwise 
good models would never reach marketable numbers. 
Not a popular view perhaps.
Chuck Peck
 
On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 6:13 PM Gavin <senftgav@...> wrote:
Aw so the CN cars are inaccurate?
 
On Fri, Dec 25, 2020, 3:11 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi List Members,
 
David pointed out what the CN cars are. Can anyone tell me, did LV have GLa design cars? Is the LV car correct?
 
TIA
 
Claus Schlund
 
 
 
----- Original Message ----- 
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2020 10:11 AM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Rapido GLa Hopper
 

The metal casting for the slope sheets and hopper bays is an interesting 
approach. The CN cars are foobies, of course.

David Thompson






Re: Rapido GLa Hopper--Anthracite carloads on Great Northern

Gavin
 

Coal usually went out of North Vancouver or Burnaby iirc


On Fri, Dec 25, 2020, 8:55 PM Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:
That’s the kind of data that had me asking about other speciality products - besides anthracite loads.  

The truth is, I can’t recall more than a handful of hoppers in photos for my era out here in Vancouver.  Maybe they were all on trains running after dark, lol?

Rob  

On Dec 25, 2020, at 8:30 PM, gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

The Annual Report for GN in 1939 shows carloads by these groups:
  1. Anthracite       1.055
  2. Bituminous    39,248 
  3. Lignite             12,730 and
  4. Coke                  4,561
 
For a little perspective,  GN move 1,150 carloads of eggs, 1,301 of salt and 537 of wool.  If the GLa hoppers could have moved anthracite, I can buy one.
 
Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock


Re: Rapido GLa Hopper

Gavin
 

Hopefully if the GLa are successful enough they'll consider them


On Fri, Dec 25, 2020, 8:45 PM David via groups.io <jaydeet2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Aw so the CN cars are inaccurate?

Yep, afraid so. They're twin hoppers of the same general size and configuration of the Gla, but many of the details are different (end sill shape, interior and overall length, height and shape of the crossridge). The GT/CN hoppers are a uniquely Canadian design, the sort of thing Rapido might have done in their earlier days.

David Thompson


Re: Rapido GLa Hopper

Robert kirkham
 

Nice! Comparison with the Rapido model does credit to the comparison.  A few detail changes and it would be hard to tell…

Rob

On Dec 25, 2020, at 5:42 PM, Doug Rhodes <farronhill@...> wrote:

The following was posted on another list and may be of interest:
 
www.nakina.net has this image: http://nakina.net/photos/cn1/cn117312.jpg which is one of the numbers Rapido is offering in CN.  
 
Doug Rhodes
 
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles Peck
Sent: December 25, 2020 3:41 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Rapido GLa Hopper
 
In one old man 's view, if it were not for foobies and stand-ins, a lot of otherwise 
good models would never reach marketable numbers. 
Not a popular view perhaps.
Chuck Peck
 
On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 6:13 PM Gavin <senftgav@...> wrote:
Aw so the CN cars are inaccurate?
 
On Fri, Dec 25, 2020, 3:11 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi List Members,
 
David pointed out what the CN cars are. Can anyone tell me, did LV have GLa design cars? Is the LV car correct?
 
TIA
 
Claus Schlund
 
 
 
----- Original Message ----- 
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2020 10:11 AM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Rapido GLa Hopper
 

The metal casting for the slope sheets and hopper bays is an interesting 
approach. The CN cars are foobies, of course.

David Thompson





3761 - 3780 of 184120