Date   

Re: Rio Grande decals - assistance please

Tim O'Connor
 


Schuyler

Champ HN-123 has black lettering including the "X" for mofw equipment.

Send me your address and I'll mail you the set.

:-)


On 2/4/2021 12:43 PM, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io wrote:

Of course I am if you look at it that way.  What I was looking for and have received is a couple or useful responses from people with some direct knowledge of D&RGW equipment who contacted me off list, which is why I gave my email address in the first email.

 

Since you seem to really want to know. I am looking to more-or-less accurately decal some troop sleepers in work train service.  The decal sheet my friend gave me, Microscale 87-73 “D&RGW Narrow Gauge Freight Cars,” does not include much black lettering and I am not convinced the “Rio Grande” speed lettering is the correct size.  I suspect there are better choices.  I want to letter it as accurately as I can, though the owner is very much satisfied with a “three-foot rule” result.  It’s >>ME<< being picky, not the owner.

 

Schuyler

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Benjamin Hom
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2021 12:35 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Rio Grande decals - assistance please

 

Schuyler Larrabee asked:

"I need some help finding the appropriate decals for a car I’m doing for a friend.  I am not a D&RGW modeler.

 I would appreciate assistance in finding the best decals for the job."


You're casting a pretty wide net.  What specifically are you trying to letter?


Ben Hom



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Painting Stainless Steel Wire - Suggestions?

Tony Thompson
 

Bob Chaparro wrote:

I have a presentation on open car loads for general service gons and flat cars that is nearing completion. This was to be given at the NMRA National Convention this year but the convention is cancelled.

For Bob and everyone's information, the NMRA National this summer has only been cancelled in the in-person form. There will be a rather large and complete clinic program presented virtually, along with virtual layout and prototype tours and other features.
     You can visit the announcement in present form at:


Tony Thompson




Re: questions regarding ACF Carbon Black Hopper

vapeurchapelon
 

Hello Garth,
 
no I wasn't. Many thanks for the link!
 
Johannes
Modeling the early post-war years up to about 1953
 
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 04. Februar 2021 um 17:34 Uhr
Von: "Garth Groff and Sally Sanford" <mallardlodge1000@...>
An: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] questions regarding ACF Carbon Black Hopper
Johannes,
 
Were you aware that Funero & Camerlengo have kits for carbon black cars? See http://fandckits.com/HOFreight/6310.html 
 
Yours Aye,
 
 
Garth Gorff  🦆
 
On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 9:08 AM vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...> wrote:

Hello friends,

please have a look to these ebay auctions of differently lettered but otherwise identical cars:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Overland-OMI-3274-4-ACF-Carbon-Black-hopper-Micronex-Columbian-Carbon-F-P-brass/233883368291?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Overland-OMI-3274-3-ACF-Carbon-Black-hopper-JM-Huber-Corp-F-P-brass/333878132958?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Overland-OMI-3274-1-ACF-Carbon-Black-hopper-Cabot-F-P-brass/233883372581?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I would like to get one of these, but at first have questions which need an answer in order to decide for or against a purchase.
1. How many of these cars were in existence? Were they very rare?
2. Did they travel nationwide or usually not far around their owners?
3. The Micronex car is most attractive to me, but the "NEW date" is 1934 - far too early for my period of post-war years. Is this lettering scheme correct for my period that I only would have to change that date?

Lots of thanks

Johannes
Modeling the early post-war years up to about 1953

 

 


Re: questions regarding ACF Carbon Black Hopper

vapeurchapelon
 

Hello friends,
 
thanks to all who replied! Much more than I did expect!
 
Tim,
 
whereas JMHX 252 very obviously is a heigthened car, I think on SHPX #25176 the slope sheets are lower compared to the OMI model (assuming that model is accurate...). Maybe even the angle is more flat, both would make a little more capacity.
 
Thanks again!
 
Johannes
Modeling the early post-war years up to about 1953
 
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 04. Februar 2021 um 16:29 Uhr
Von: "Tim O'Connor" <timboconnor@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] questions regarding ACF Carbon Black Hopper

I think all of the models (brass - resin - plastic) represent one design - I am not certain which one!
It's either the 2850 cuft or the 3000 cuft car. But it's not the 3480 cuft design which was wider and
taller.

By 1953 SHPX series 25162 to 25181 was 20 2850 cuft cars. By 1972 the exact same
number series still has 19 cars but are now listed at 2998 cuft. Unfortunately the 1953 ORER
does not have the extreme height and width information listed in 1972, so all I can do is
guess that the cars were rebuilt by increasing the height slightly. 




On 2/4/2021 9:07 AM, vapeurchapelon wrote:
Hello friends,

please have a look to these ebay auctions of differently lettered but otherwise identical cars:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Overland-OMI-3274-4-ACF-Carbon-Black-hopper-Micronex-Columbian-Carbon-F-P-brass/233883368291?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Overland-OMI-3274-3-ACF-Carbon-Black-hopper-JM-Huber-Corp-F-P-brass/333878132958?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Overland-OMI-3274-1-ACF-Carbon-Black-hopper-Cabot-F-P-brass/233883372581?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I would like to get one of these, but at first have questions which need an answer in order to decide for or against a purchase.
1. How many of these cars were in existence? Were they very rare?
2. Did they travel nationwide or usually not far around their owners?
3. The Micronex car is most attractive to me, but the "NEW date" is 1934 - far too early for my period of post-war years. Is this lettering scheme correct for my period that I only would have to change that date?

Lots of thanks

Johannes
Modeling the early post-war years up to about 1953

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Re: questions regarding ACF Carbon Black Hopper

Ed Hawkins
 



On Feb 4, 2021, at 8:07 AM, vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...> wrote:

I would like to get one of these, but at first have questions which need an answer in order to decide for or against a purchase.
1. How many of these cars were in existence? Were they very rare?
2. Did they travel nationwide or usually not far around their owners?
3. The Micronex car is most attractive to me, but the "NEW date" is 1934 - far too early for my period of post-war years. Is this lettering scheme correct for my period that I only would have to change that date?

Johannes, 
I’ll take a stab at answering your questions. 

Over time during the STMFC period were several sizes of carbon black cars to include capacities of 3000, 3400, 3465, 3480 & 3500 cubic feet. The OMI model is based on the 3000 cu. ft cars, and slightly more than 600 cars were built by ACF, GATC, and PSC (Pressed Steel Car Co.) from late 1933 thru 1949 with a production break during World War II. The larger cars collectively added to slightly less than 300 cars built from 1950 thru 1959 by ACF, GATC, Magor, and Thrall.

The following quantities of 3000 cu. ft. cars were in service as of Jan. 1952.

CABX - 116 Cabot
CCX - 95 Columbian Carbon
JMHX - 60 J.M. Huber
UCBX - 120 United Carbon

Several others had 40 cars or less in Jan. 1952: CCCX (40), CLTX (15), GACX (25), SHPX (20), SRCX (25), WITX (18). Some of these cars were transfers from previous original owners.

For accurate models, the modeler should be aware that not all 3000 cu. ft. cars were identical. Cars built from late 1933 thru early 1942 came with wood running boards and vertical-staff hand brakes as were used on the OMI model. Due to WPB restrictions during World War II, production of carbon black cars were on hold from mid-1942 thru 1946. Production of 3000 cu. ft. carbon black cars resumed in 1947 with wood running boards, but hand brakes were changed to power-type (Ajax). Cars built in 1948-1949 continued with power hand brakes, and running boards were changed to steel. I’m unaware of any 3000 cu. ft cars built after ca. 8-49. 

Regarding the three OMI models, I’ll address each one individually. 

1. CLTX 107 should be from series 106-110, 5 cars built 11-36 by ACF (lot 1572). The model is generally correct except for the build date. The 9-34 build date on the model would be accurate for CLTX 101-105 built by ACF in lot 1376. It’s highly doubtful if the original lettering would have been found in the postwar years, and it will take a photo of one of the 15 CLTX cars 101-115 to know how the cars were stenciled in the postwar years.

2. CABX 127 matches the scheme of an in-service photo of CABX 78 taken ca. 1948 (Charles E. Winters collection). Given the model has a wood running board & vertical-staff hand brake, the car number 127 is incorrect. The model can be made correct for the postwar years if the car number is changed from 31 thru 106. Build date stencils would of course depend on the car number selected, and could one of many from 12-34 thru 4-42.

Conversely, the CABX 127 model can be corrected for prototype cars CABX 127-146, built 8-49 by ACF (lot 3389), which came with Apex Tri-lok rectangular open-grid running boards & Ajax power hand brakes.

3. JMHX 226 was from original series JMHX 225-230, 6 cars built 12-40 in ACF lot 2108. For many years the J.M. Huber cars had serif-style stencils for their 3000 cu. ft. cars built 12-35 thru 1-42, and on larger 3480 cu. ft. cars built in 5-52 per in-service photo of 267 from series JMHX 266-280. The company name stencils appear to have been 7” high extending across only the middle section of the car. I’ve not seen any 1940s-1950s photos of J.M. Huber cars matching the 226 model, and based on limited photos in my personal collection I believe this scheme would not be accurate for your 1953 cut-off date. Otherwise, the model could corrected for your period of interest by re-lettering with smaller serif stencils.

Depending on how you might choose to proceed, I can help by providing you a scan to reflect the specific car of interest. 

Hope this helps.
Regards, Ed Hawkins
















Re: Rio Grande decals - assistance please

Schuyler Larrabee
 

Well, thanks, Ben, I appreciate that help.  The linked photo is exactly the car in question.  I bought two of the Champ sets (there are two cars to do) and I expect that will get me pretty close to accurately decaled cars.

 

Schuyler

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Benjamin Hom
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2021 1:19 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Rio Grande decals - assistance please

 

Schuyler Larrabee wrote: 

"Since you seem to really want to know. I am looking to more-or-less accurately decal some troop sleepers in work train service.  The decal sheet my friend gave me, Microscale 87-73 “D&RGW Narrow Gauge Freight Cars,” does not include much black lettering and I am not convinced the “Rio Grande” speed lettering is the correct size.  I suspect there are better choices.  I want to letter it as accurately as I can, though the owner is very much satisfied with a “three-foot rule” result.  It’s >>ME<< being picky, not the owner."

 

You mean something like this?

 

Agree with you regarding Microscale 87-73 - along with the limited black lettering, the stencil breaks don't conform with the car in the photo.

 

Champ HN-123 might scratch your itch.  It's in black, and features four sizes of the speed lettering.  Here's an active listing:

 

 

Ben Hom


Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Painting Stainless Steel Wire - Suggestions?

Gatwood, Elden J SAD
 

Bob;

 

I will very much look forward to seeing your presentation!

 

I love open loads, and have dozens of those WalMart clear plastic containers with loads I populate my cars with on my empties-in/loads-out; loads in/empties-out operation.  I have hundreds of loads I have created, including some I did from masters, to populate the dozens of industries also served on my layout and beyond.

 

I can’t wait to  see what you present!


Elden Gatwood

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2021 12:45 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Painting Stainless Steel Wire - Suggestions?

 

Thank you, Elden. 
Many of the improvements to my modeling (still a ways to go) are a result of reading posts on this site. I'm finding satisfaction in making and installing loads in cars.
I have a presentation on open car loads for general service gons and flat cars that is nearing completion. This was to be given at the NMRA National Convention this year but the convention is cancelled. I hope to present it at the NMRA Pacific Coast Region's convention if that is not cancelled.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA


Re: Rio Grande decals - assistance please

Benjamin Hom
 

Schuyler Larrabee wrote: 
"Since you seem to really want to know. I am looking to more-or-less accurately decal some troop sleepers in work train service.  The decal sheet my friend gave me, Microscale 87-73 “D&RGW Narrow Gauge Freight Cars,” does not include much black lettering and I am not convinced the “Rio Grande” speed lettering is the correct size.  I suspect there are better choices.  I want to letter it as accurately as I can, though the owner is very much satisfied with a “three-foot rule” result.  It’s >>ME<< being picky, not the owner."

You mean something like this?

Agree with you regarding Microscale 87-73 - along with the limited black lettering, the stencil breaks don't conform with the car in the photo.

Champ HN-123 might scratch your itch.  It's in black, and features four sizes of the speed lettering.  Here's an active listing:


Ben Hom


Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Painting Stainless Steel Wire - Suggestions?

Bob Chaparro
 

Thank you, Elden. 
Many of the improvements to my modeling (still a ways to go) are a result of reading posts on this site. I'm finding satisfaction in making and installing loads in cars.
I have a presentation on open car loads for general service gons and flat cars that is nearing completion. This was to be given at the NMRA National Convention this year but the convention is cancelled. I hope to present it at the NMRA Pacific Coast Region's convention if that is not cancelled.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA


Re: Rio Grande decals - assistance please

Schuyler Larrabee
 

Of course I am if you look at it that way.  What I was looking for and have received is a couple or useful responses from people with some direct knowledge of D&RGW equipment who contacted me off list, which is why I gave my email address in the first email.

 

Since you seem to really want to know. I am looking to more-or-less accurately decal some troop sleepers in work train service.  The decal sheet my friend gave me, Microscale 87-73 “D&RGW Narrow Gauge Freight Cars,” does not include much black lettering and I am not convinced the “Rio Grande” speed lettering is the correct size.  I suspect there are better choices.  I want to letter it as accurately as I can, though the owner is very much satisfied with a “three-foot rule” result.  It’s >>ME<< being picky, not the owner.

 

Schuyler

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Benjamin Hom
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2021 12:35 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Rio Grande decals - assistance please

 

Schuyler Larrabee asked:

"I need some help finding the appropriate decals for a car I’m doing for a friend.  I am not a D&RGW modeler.

 I would appreciate assistance in finding the best decals for the job."


You're casting a pretty wide net.  What specifically are you trying to letter?


Ben Hom


Re: Rio Grande decals - assistance please

Benjamin Hom
 

Schuyler Larrabee asked:
"I need some help finding the appropriate decals for a car I’m doing for a friend.  I am not a D&RGW modeler.
 I would appreciate assistance in finding the best decals for the job."

You're casting a pretty wide net.  What specifically are you trying to letter?


Ben Hom


Re: Pacific Electric

Tim O'Connor
 


does not appear to have any special equipment


On 2/4/2021 12:09 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:

RJ,

I found no indication in Tony's book that the stock cars had the tight-curve brakes. There were only 10 cars, PE 8500-8509. These were class S-40-4 built in 1914, which is about 10 years before the special application on the bulk of new PE cars. The cars went to the SP in 1940. Also consider that these cars were 37', and might not have needed the special brake arrangement, or they might have been in pretty restricted service to customers that didn't have tight curves. The only photo I've ever seen of these is the builders photo in Tony's series (V.1) on page 264. It is from the "wrong" corner, and Tony's roster doesn't call out any special equipment. The general arrangement diagram is in Swett's CARS OF PACIFIC ELECTRIC, V.3 page 783, but no brake details are given.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff  🦆

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Re: Pacific Electric

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...>
 

Tim,

Then usual rodding to the hand brake must have interfered with truck swing where it passed over the B-end truck.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 12:05 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:
Garth

Excellent photos thank you. I have only a photo of 00119 from the OTHER side ! :-D

And 00119 has AB brakes! So evidently this problem was entirely about the hand
brake rods, and nothing else. ;-)


On 2/4/2021 11:55 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Tim,

Interesting question. Tony would be the one to comment on that. Most of the surviving PE cars were transferred to the SP circa 1951-1952, and any that were worthy of continued service would have needed AB brakes. The examples that survive were PE MW service, and were still around in the 1960s before being preserved. AFAIK, all that are preserved are at the OREM. My photos from circa 1975 are attached.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 11:30 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Garth, I wonder if that rigging (ref for the 1,300-1,900 #'s?) disappeared on cars that received AB brakes. Any idea?

Every single PE freight car photo I've seen is the right side (B-end to the left) or is from the A-end. :-P



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Re: Pacific Electric

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...>
 

RJ,

I found no indication in Tony's book that the stock cars had the tight-curve brakes. There were only 10 cars, PE 8500-8509. These were class S-40-4 built in 1914, which is about 10 years before the special application on the bulk of new PE cars. The cars went to the SP in 1940. Also consider that these cars were 37', and might not have needed the special brake arrangement, or they might have been in pretty restricted service to customers that didn't have tight curves. The only photo I've ever seen of these is the builders photo in Tony's series (V.1) on page 264. It is from the "wrong" corner, and Tony's roster doesn't call out any special equipment. The general arrangement diagram is in Swett's CARS OF PACIFIC ELECTRIC, V.3 page 783, but no brake details are given.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff  🦆 

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 11:30 AM radiodial868 <radiodial57@...> wrote:
I was really into the PE in the early 1970's (having been born in SoCal), Let me see if I can find my ETT from the 1930's that contained the restrictions. I also purchased photos form the Huntington and couple of commercial sellers back then and you can see how sharp the curves were.  Wish I could share them, but it'll bring out the ire of the Fair Use dudes again.
Garth, I recall one of the photos showed a PE stockcar (RH side unfortunately) and you can't see the number. Probably an S-40-4. This was still the era of stock pens downtown. Any info on those?
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA


Re: Pacific Electric

Tim O'Connor
 

Garth

Excellent photos thank you. I have only a photo of 00119 from the OTHER side ! :-D

And 00119 has AB brakes! So evidently this problem was entirely about the hand
brake rods, and nothing else. ;-)


On 2/4/2021 11:55 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:

Tim,

Interesting question. Tony would be the one to comment on that. Most of the surviving PE cars were transferred to the SP circa 1951-1952, and any that were worthy of continued service would have needed AB brakes. The examples that survive were PE MW service, and were still around in the 1960s before being preserved. AFAIK, all that are preserved are at the OREM. My photos from circa 1975 are attached.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 11:30 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Garth, I wonder if that rigging (ref for the 1,300-1,900 #'s?) disappeared on cars that received AB brakes. Any idea?

Every single PE freight car photo I've seen is the right side (B-end to the left) or is from the A-end. :-P



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Re: Pacific Electric

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...>
 

Tim,

Interesting question. Tony would be the one to comment on that. Most of the surviving PE cars were transferred to the SP circa 1951-1952, and any that were worthy of continued service would have needed AB brakes. The examples that survive were PE MW service, and were still around in the 1960s before being preserved. AFAIK, all that are preserved are at the OREM. My photos from circa 1975 are attached.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 11:30 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Garth, I wonder if that rigging (ref for the 1,300-1,900 #'s?) disappeared on cars that received AB brakes. Any idea?

Every single PE freight car photo I've seen is the right side (B-end to the left) or is from the A-end. :-P


On 2/3/2021 3:19 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Tim and Paul,

The PE's special brake rigging was designed so the cars could go around a 45-foot radius curve. Not all PE cars had this feature, but a surprising number did. In fact, there were at least 1,300 such cars, maybe as many as 1,900. It appears the brake rigging was applied to cars built in the 1920s, and I know of no evidence for its use on earlier cars, except possibly Hart ballast gondolas (see below).

PE 5900-5999, 6000-6099, and 20000-20599; G-50-9 GS gondolas delivered in 1923 and 1924 (800 cars). The feature seems to be invisible on these cars and may not be the same arrangement as on boxcars and flats.

PE 2614-3673; F-50-8 40' flat cars delivered in 1923 (150 cars).

PE 30000-30149; F-50-9 40' flat cars delivered in 1924 (150 cars). (Some of the Arrowhead tank cars converted from flat cars may have had the feature as well).

PE 2700-2899; B-40-13 40' SS boxcars delivered in 1924 (200 cars).

Possibly PE 10000-10599; B-40-14 SS boxcars delivered in 1924 (600 cars). 

In the rosters in Tony Thompson's epic books, all but the boxcars are called out with the special brake rigging. He mentions the B-40-13s as having this in a photo cutline (on a survivor at the OREM, but seem to recall they had several when I was last there in the 1975). I saw nothing about PE B-40-14s being so equipped. The PE-40-14 photos in his book are all taken from the wrong side or end to show this, as it can only be seen clearly in a photo that shows the truck on the corner closest to the brake wheel. Ira Swett's CARS OF PACIFIC ELECTRIC V. 3 does not mention the special brake rigging at all, and the few photos there are too small and grainy to tell. Martin Loftin's instructions for his kits imply, but don't state clearly, that both classes had them on the PE. Maybe Tony would like to chime in on this

It also seems that PE 6200-6249, W-50-3 40' Hart ballast cars also had something similar to this feature, but that may have had more to do with the outside hung K-brake cylinders on the  heavily trussed underframes.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff 

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Re: questions regarding ACF Carbon Black Hopper

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...>
 

Johannes,

Were you aware that Funero & Camerlengo have kits for carbon black cars? See http://fandckits.com/HOFreight/6310.html 

Yours Aye,


Garth Gorff  🦆


On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 9:08 AM vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...> wrote:
Hello friends,

please have a look to these ebay auctions of differently lettered but otherwise identical cars:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Overland-OMI-3274-4-ACF-Carbon-Black-hopper-Micronex-Columbian-Carbon-F-P-brass/233883368291?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Overland-OMI-3274-3-ACF-Carbon-Black-hopper-JM-Huber-Corp-F-P-brass/333878132958?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Overland-OMI-3274-1-ACF-Carbon-Black-hopper-Cabot-F-P-brass/233883372581?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I would like to get one of these, but at first have questions which need an answer in order to decide for or against a purchase.
1. How many of these cars were in existence? Were they very rare?
2. Did they travel nationwide or usually not far around their owners?
3. The Micronex car is most attractive to me, but the "NEW date" is 1934 - far too early for my period of post-war years. Is this lettering scheme correct for my period that I only would have to change that date?

Lots of thanks

Johannes
Modeling the early post-war years up to about 1953


Re: Pacific Electric

radiodial868
 

I was really into the PE in the early 1970's (having been born in SoCal), Let me see if I can find my ETT from the 1930's that contained the restrictions. I also purchased photos form the Huntington and couple of commercial sellers back then and you can see how sharp the curves were.  Wish I could share them, but it'll bring out the ire of the Fair Use dudes again.
Garth, I recall one of the photos showed a PE stockcar (RH side unfortunately) and you can't see the number. Probably an S-40-4. This was still the era of stock pens downtown. Any info on those?
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA


Re: Pacific Electric

Tim O'Connor
 


Garth, I wonder if that rigging (ref for the 1,300-1,900 #'s?) disappeared on cars that received AB brakes. Any idea?

Every single PE freight car photo I've seen is the right side (B-end to the left) or is from the A-end. :-P


On 2/3/2021 3:19 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:

Tim and Paul,

The PE's special brake rigging was designed so the cars could go around a 45-foot radius curve. Not all PE cars had this feature, but a surprising number did. In fact, there were at least 1,300 such cars, maybe as many as 1,900. It appears the brake rigging was applied to cars built in the 1920s, and I know of no evidence for its use on earlier cars, except possibly Hart ballast gondolas (see below).

PE 5900-5999, 6000-6099, and 20000-20599; G-50-9 GS gondolas delivered in 1923 and 1924 (800 cars). The feature seems to be invisible on these cars and may not be the same arrangement as on boxcars and flats.

PE 2614-3673; F-50-8 40' flat cars delivered in 1923 (150 cars).

PE 30000-30149; F-50-9 40' flat cars delivered in 1924 (150 cars). (Some of the Arrowhead tank cars converted from flat cars may have had the feature as well).

PE 2700-2899; B-40-13 40' SS boxcars delivered in 1924 (200 cars).

Possibly PE 10000-10599; B-40-14 SS boxcars delivered in 1924 (600 cars). 

In the rosters in Tony Thompson's epic books, all but the boxcars are called out with the special brake rigging. He mentions the B-40-13s as having this in a photo cutline (on a survivor at the OREM, but seem to recall they had several when I was last there in the 1975). I saw nothing about PE B-40-14s being so equipped. The PE-40-14 photos in his book are all taken from the wrong side or end to show this, as it can only be seen clearly in a photo that shows the truck on the corner closest to the brake wheel. Ira Swett's CARS OF PACIFIC ELECTRIC V. 3 does not mention the special brake rigging at all, and the few photos there are too small and grainy to tell. Martin Loftin's instructions for his kits imply, but don't state clearly, that both classes had them on the PE. Maybe Tony would like to chime in on this

It also seems that PE 6200-6249, W-50-3 40' Hart ballast cars also had something similar to this feature, but that may have had more to do with the outside hung K-brake cylinders on the  heavily trussed underframes.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff 

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Re: Dalman-Andrews trucks with LM

Ken Soroos
 

Here’s the Soo version of this truck and the major car type with which it was used.  These Soo cars were discussed by Ted Cullotta in his Essential Freight Car series.  1000 of these cars were built by Pullman and Siems-Stembel from 1928 through 1930.  These were the last of the Soo’s “sawtooth” boxcars.

Kits for this car were produced by Sunshine in HO scale and by Chooch in O-Ultrascale.  The Soo Line Historical and Technical Society is hoping to have a limited number of one-piece body resin versions of this car available in the near future.  Soo modelers will also be excited about having this truck available.

Ken Soroos
Special Projects, SLHTS




15381 - 15400 of 196837