Date   

Re: Detail parts availability

 

Be aware that DA and DW likely have the parts. Walthers, for whatever reason, often fails to restock. Contact them directly.

 

 

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

 

 

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Robert J Miller CFA <cajonpass1995@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Friday, October 7, 2022 at 10:40 AM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Detail parts availability

 

Yes, they are both still in business.

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Raymond Stern
Sent: Friday, October 7, 2022 11:25 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Detail parts availability

 

Can someone tell me if Detail Associates and Details West are
still in business and filling current orders? I have had a couple
of Detail Associates items backordered through WKW since
2016 and 2018. Thank you. You can respond off list if you want.

Raymond


Re: Detail parts availability

Robert J Miller CFA <cajonpass1995@...>
 

Yes, they are both still in business.

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Raymond Stern
Sent: Friday, October 7, 2022 11:25 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Detail parts availability

 

Can someone tell me if Detail Associates and Details West are
still in business and filling current orders? I have had a couple
of Detail Associates items backordered through WKW since
2016 and 2018. Thank you. You can respond off list if you want.

Raymond


Detail parts availability

Raymond Stern
 

Can someone tell me if Detail Associates and Details West are
still in business and filling current orders? I have had a couple
of Detail Associates items backordered through WKW since
2016 and 2018. Thank you. You can respond off list if you want.

Raymond


Re: Rapido single sheathed box cars

Bruce Griffin
 


Rob,

You mentioned the B&O USRA model, be aware that several folks on the B&O .IO Group have raised a concern about this color not being very accurate. I agree with their assessment, it appears more like OD Green than the brown I have seen in the limited number of color photos of B&O brown boxcars. 
 

I have attached some photos, the model by itself was after some black pin wash was added around the steel parts, it was shot in sunlight. The other shots are with both commercial products and my own painted resin kits on my layout under 5000k LED lights. And the prototype photo is a Delano from the LOC. The contrast in color is easy to see. I am going to try airbrushing with clear matte tinted with red brown.

Best Regards,
Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

 


Re: C&O Rebuilt Boxcars

Dave Wetterstroem
 

A friend sent me this image showing these cars in the Raceland car shops during the rebuilding of these cars. It shows the curved roofs and upon close inspection, you can see a single embossed stiffening ridge between the ribs. This should get close to being able to design a proper 3d printed roof for these cars. 
 


Re: Weathering

Paul Doggett
 

Eric 

An excellent blog it’s a great weathering job well done.

Paul Doggett 


Re: Weathering

Lester Breuer
 

Eric looks as if it does have a few thousand miles on it.  Nice weathering job and writeup on your blog.
Lester Breuer


Re: Weathering

Charlie Duckworth
 

Eric
Nice overview, not everyone thinks they have the skill sets for weathering and your approach makes for an easy ‘dip in the pool’.  I remember back in the 1970’s using merely an airbrush to add ‘dust’ on a few boxcars and thought that was enough.  Now we’ve got a whole art store at our disposal.  
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


Re: C&O Rebuilt Boxcars

Charlie Duckworth
 

The radial roof you posted looks very similar to the one used in the Westerfield MP 1901 and 1951 SS boxcar kits. I’d post an image as reference but out of town at the moment. 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


Weathering

Eric Hansmann
 

A series of freight car weathering steps applied to one model are featured in the latest DesignBuildOp blog post. 


Re: Rapido single sheathed box cars

Tony Thompson
 

I assume you mean the USRA cars?
Tony Thompson 


On Oct 6, 2022, at 3:22 PM, Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst@...> wrote:


Just finally saw the SP car the in question on their website. I built the Westerfield model last winter. Rapido is slow on the draw again....
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa


Re: C&O Rebuilt Boxcars

Robert kirkham
 

 Correction: I was just looking at a Funaro CPR 1932 AAR kit, not the minibox.    From what i can tell, rightly or wrongly, both seem to have very similar radial roofs.   

The CPR prototype specs call it a Murphy radial roof for both series of cars (Std R E Co drawing 6699H (1929) & 7423B (1932)); not sure why F&C calls the 1932 roof a Hutchins, except that i suspect the companies were forced together at some point.  Would like to find more on the corporate history of both companies . . .

Rob

On Oct 6, 2022, at 7:23 PM, Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

I’m interested in those roofs too, as the Alton kitbash inspired me back in the spring.  F&C offers a CPR mini-box with separate roof that might be converted to that.  It has the same roof panel count, and similar seam caps and mid-panel corrugated stiffener.   I feel the tapered ends of the seam caps (toward the sides) are a bit heavy and have an unwanted or oversized bolt/fastener, compared to the photo Scott shared, but i think that is a an easy enough modification.   Have not checked the F&C roof length yet.  If you have to buy the whole F&C kit, you’ll need to come up with another prototype to use the body on.  Haven’t figured that out yet. 
Rob  

On Oct 6, 2022, at 3:41 PM, Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,

These look like rebuilt SS cars. SAL had a series of XM-1 cars, the B-5 series, I believe, that when rebuilt, showed the bottom of the side trusses in this fashion. Someone has/had that car in resin. Other than the sides though, nothing else on that car would match up. 

I think these cars would make a great  scratchbuilding project! If you can locate information on the pre-rebuilt cars, you may quite possibly have enough information to get the rest of the parts from various resin retailers- ends, roof, underframe, etc.

The attachment is a screenshot of a Jack Delano photo from the library of Congress. I believe it shows the roof you are looking for on the Alton Boxcar.

Good luck with this project and I for one would be interested in your progress.


Scott Haycock
On 10/04/2022 9:07 AM Dave Wetterstroem <framemakers@...> wrote:


This is my first post to this group. I have been modeling off and on for the past 50 years. I model the C&O in 1952. Before last month, my feelings on boxcars were that they were either 40' or 50' with a single of double door. I couldn't tell the difference between an ARA, AAR or a PS-1. I have been working on my layout which is based on Quinnimont & Prince WV and the Piney Creek branch. I came to the realization that I would only have room on the layout for 75 non coal hauling cars and only half of those should be C&O. With this limitation, I decided that I needed to focus on having those cars be right or as close to being right as I can get. I grabbed my copy of the Jan 1953 ORER and made a spread sheet of all the cars series that the C&O had on their roster and how many of each car per series. I calculated those as percentages and then figuring a 100 car C&O roster (giving me a nice rotation of cars) I could have a guideline for what areas I would need to fill. 

My results showed that 85% of the C&O's non coal fleet were boxcars. From this point I started digging in to my research. While many of the cars are have been produced and are all ready in my collection, there is a few noticeable holes. The one that intrigues me most is the rebuilt Hocking Valley cars 12000-12168 & 13558-13828 Door and Half boxes. These cars have a very unique look with the 2nd door being on the right instead of the more typical left side of center and a bit of bracing showing below the side sheets. These cars also had siblings with single doors that later gained a bit of notoriety with a special LCL paint scheme. From talking with friends, they agreed, that there really isn't a great way to kitbash either of these cars. 

As I stated earlier, my knowledge of boxcars was limited, that was mostly because I had focused on hopper cars making the same kind of lists in the past. When I ran into a similar issue with the C&O 3 bay welded hopper, I designed and printed them out myself. I feel that this is the way that I need to proceed with these boxcars. So now is where I need some help. I have numerous photos of both series of cars, painting and lettering diagrams as well as the appropriate pages from the 1960 & 1969 freight car diagram books. This will give me a good start, but there are things like the roof that don't show up in the diagrams and the photos don't show. Most of these cars had "Murphy Radial Steel Flexible" roofs. At this point, my knowledge and research is hitting a bit of a wall. What did these roofs look like? Are their photos or plans available of these roofs? Has anyone made a car with an accurate style of roof that I could use as a guide?

Any other help on this project would be greatly apricated. 

Dave Wetterstroem



<cohs-43893.jpg><cohs-24816.jpg>

<Screenshot from LOC #1a34816u.PNG>



Re: C&O Rebuilt Boxcars

Ken Roth
 

Hi Dave & Co.

I feel your pain.  I scratch-bashed a model of this car back in 2014.  I agree that is a wonderfully unusual car that seems to break all the rules.  I once told my friend it was the "rebellious teenager" showing its framing, wearing its doors backwards, etc. Sounds like you have all the available drawings and pictures, but I ran into the same problem.  No good roof shot!  My memory fails me as to the sources of all the pieces, but I can tell you that ends and doors are available that you can chop on.  I used a copy of a radial roof from some unknown resin kit. I built up a pattern for the sides from styrene with archer rivets, then made a silicone mold and cast the sides.  Tonight I went to look for the mold and was saddened to find that it had not be stored properly and is now unusable.  Haven't found the pattern yet, but its around somewhere. I think the roof probably had the small ribs between the main ribs that Scott Haycock is talking about.  I know mine is missing some details.  As I remember, decals were a problem too.  I think I patched together the lettering from some old F&C decals and who knows what else.  Attached are photos of my model.  Its not going to be a slam-dunk, but I'm glad I built one.  Best of luck!

Ken Roth


Re: C&O Rebuilt Boxcars

Robert kirkham
 

I’m interested in those roofs too, as the Alton kitbash inspired me back in the spring.  F&C offers a CPR mini-box with separate roof that might be converted to that.  It has the same roof panel count, and similar seam caps and mid-panel corrugated stiffener.   I feel the tapered ends of the seam caps (toward the sides) are a bit heavy and have an unwanted or oversized bolt/fastener, compared to the photo Scott shared, but i think that is a an easy enough modification.   Have not checked the F&C roof length yet.  If you have to buy the whole F&C kit, you’ll need to come up with another prototype to use the body on.  Haven’t figured that out yet. 
Rob  

On Oct 6, 2022, at 3:41 PM, Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,

These look like rebuilt SS cars. SAL had a series of XM-1 cars, the B-5 series, I believe, that when rebuilt, showed the bottom of the side trusses in this fashion. Someone has/had that car in resin. Other than the sides though, nothing else on that car would match up. 

I think these cars would make a great  scratchbuilding project! If you can locate information on the pre-rebuilt cars, you may quite possibly have enough information to get the rest of the parts from various resin retailers- ends, roof, underframe, etc.

The attachment is a screenshot of a Jack Delano photo from the library of Congress. I believe it shows the roof you are looking for on the Alton Boxcar.

Good luck with this project and I for one would be interested in your progress.


Scott Haycock
On 10/04/2022 9:07 AM Dave Wetterstroem <framemakers@...> wrote:


This is my first post to this group. I have been modeling off and on for the past 50 years. I model the C&O in 1952. Before last month, my feelings on boxcars were that they were either 40' or 50' with a single of double door. I couldn't tell the difference between an ARA, AAR or a PS-1. I have been working on my layout which is based on Quinnimont & Prince WV and the Piney Creek branch. I came to the realization that I would only have room on the layout for 75 non coal hauling cars and only half of those should be C&O. With this limitation, I decided that I needed to focus on having those cars be right or as close to being right as I can get. I grabbed my copy of the Jan 1953 ORER and made a spread sheet of all the cars series that the C&O had on their roster and how many of each car per series. I calculated those as percentages and then figuring a 100 car C&O roster (giving me a nice rotation of cars) I could have a guideline for what areas I would need to fill. 

My results showed that 85% of the C&O's non coal fleet were boxcars. From this point I started digging in to my research. While many of the cars are have been produced and are all ready in my collection, there is a few noticeable holes. The one that intrigues me most is the rebuilt Hocking Valley cars 12000-12168 & 13558-13828 Door and Half boxes. These cars have a very unique look with the 2nd door being on the right instead of the more typical left side of center and a bit of bracing showing below the side sheets. These cars also had siblings with single doors that later gained a bit of notoriety with a special LCL paint scheme. From talking with friends, they agreed, that there really isn't a great way to kitbash either of these cars. 

As I stated earlier, my knowledge of boxcars was limited, that was mostly because I had focused on hopper cars making the same kind of lists in the past. When I ran into a similar issue with the C&O 3 bay welded hopper, I designed and printed them out myself. I feel that this is the way that I need to proceed with these boxcars. So now is where I need some help. I have numerous photos of both series of cars, painting and lettering diagrams as well as the appropriate pages from the 1960 & 1969 freight car diagram books. This will give me a good start, but there are things like the roof that don't show up in the diagrams and the photos don't show. Most of these cars had "Murphy Radial Steel Flexible" roofs. At this point, my knowledge and research is hitting a bit of a wall. What did these roofs look like? Are their photos or plans available of these roofs? Has anyone made a car with an accurate style of roof that I could use as a guide?

Any other help on this project would be greatly apricated. 

Dave Wetterstroem



<cohs-43893.jpg><cohs-24816.jpg>

<Screenshot from LOC #1a34816u.PNG>


Re: C&O Rebuilt Boxcars

Dave Wetterstroem
 

I'm not looking to kitbash or scratch build these. My goal is to design this for 3d printing. I've done a dozen or so projects including this ACF welded hopper. 


Re: The Nickel Plate Road Historical Society archives on-line

Drew M.
 

You are correct Brian, it was Steve - I worked with a Bob Kocsis at one time hence the mix-up. Steve mentioned he wished they had more volunteers.

Drew Marshall still in South Jersey

On Oct 6, 2022, at 20:49, "Brian Carlson via groups.io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>prrk41361=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

That would be either Joe or Steve Kocsis. We have lots and lots already scanned. More photo collections are coming. Can’t put everything up at once. Thankfully, we have a good team. 

Brian J. Carlson NKPHTS Collections Management Director  

On Oct 6, 2022, at 8:22 PM, Drew M. via groups.io <phillydrewcifer@...> wrote:


Bob Kocsis of the DicoveRY Museum on Lee Street in Buffalo, NY showed me the two rooms (so far) the NKPT&HS occupies on the second floor of the museum and explained they are dependant on volunteers to do the scanning and uploading. One room was locked so we did not enter but the other was being prepped to receive archival material so the door was open. It was a sizable space with just one window. I was more interested in the Pittsburg, Shawmut & Northern Society's files which were being taken out of plastic tubs and placed in archival boxes. A very interesting place to visit if one is ever in the Buffalo area.

Drew Marshall in South Jersey


--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY


Re: The Nickel Plate Road Historical Society archives on-line

Brian Carlson
 

That would be either Joe or Steve Kocsis. We have lots and lots already scanned. More photo collections are coming. Can’t put everything up at once. Thankfully, we have a good team. 

Brian J. Carlson NKPHTS Collections Management Director  

On Oct 6, 2022, at 8:22 PM, Drew M. via groups.io <phillydrewcifer@...> wrote:


Bob Kocsis of the DicoveRY Museum on Lee Street in Buffalo, NY showed me the two rooms (so far) the NKPT&HS occupies on the second floor of the museum and explained they are dependant on volunteers to do the scanning and uploading. One room was locked so we did not enter but the other was being prepped to receive archival material so the door was open. It was a sizable space with just one window. I was more interested in the Pittsburg, Shawmut & Northern Society's files which were being taken out of plastic tubs and placed in archival boxes. A very interesting place to visit if one is ever in the Buffalo area.

Drew Marshall in South Jersey

On Oct 3, 2022, at 14:17, "Dennis Storzek via groups.io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>soolinehistory=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I haven't seen any mention here of the new on-line presence of the NKPHTS archive at:

https://archive.nkphts.org/

Mostly photos so far, I know they also have a drawing collection.

Dennis Storzek

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY


Re: The Nickel Plate Road Historical Society archives on-line

Drew M.
 

Bob Kocsis of the DicoveRY Museum on Lee Street in Buffalo, NY showed me the two rooms (so far) the NKPT&HS occupies on the second floor of the museum and explained they are dependant on volunteers to do the scanning and uploading. One room was locked so we did not enter but the other was being prepped to receive archival material so the door was open. It was a sizable space with just one window. I was more interested in the Pittsburg, Shawmut & Northern Society's files which were being taken out of plastic tubs and placed in archival boxes. A very interesting place to visit if one is ever in the Buffalo area.

Drew Marshall in South Jersey

On Oct 3, 2022, at 14:17, "Dennis Storzek via groups.io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>soolinehistory=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I haven't seen any mention here of the new on-line presence of the NKPHTS archive at:

https://archive.nkphts.org/

Mostly photos so far, I know they also have a drawing collection.

Dennis Storzek


Re: C&O Rebuilt Boxcars

Scott H. Haycock
 

Hi Dave,

These look like rebuilt SS cars. SAL had a series of XM-1 cars, the B-5 series, I believe, that when rebuilt, showed the bottom of the side trusses in this fashion. Someone has/had that car in resin. Other than the sides though, nothing else on that car would match up. 

I think these cars would make a great  scratchbuilding project! If you can locate information on the pre-rebuilt cars, you may quite possibly have enough information to get the rest of the parts from various resin retailers- ends, roof, underframe, etc.

The attachment is a screenshot of a Jack Delano photo from the library of Congress. I believe it shows the roof you are looking for on the Alton Boxcar.

Good luck with this project and I for one would be interested in your progress.


Scott Haycock

On 10/04/2022 9:07 AM Dave Wetterstroem <framemakers@...> wrote:


This is my first post to this group. I have been modeling off and on for the past 50 years. I model the C&O in 1952. Before last month, my feelings on boxcars were that they were either 40' or 50' with a single of double door. I couldn't tell the difference between an ARA, AAR or a PS-1. I have been working on my layout which is based on Quinnimont & Prince WV and the Piney Creek branch. I came to the realization that I would only have room on the layout for 75 non coal hauling cars and only half of those should be C&O. With this limitation, I decided that I needed to focus on having those cars be right or as close to being right as I can get. I grabbed my copy of the Jan 1953 ORER and made a spread sheet of all the cars series that the C&O had on their roster and how many of each car per series. I calculated those as percentages and then figuring a 100 car C&O roster (giving me a nice rotation of cars) I could have a guideline for what areas I would need to fill. 

My results showed that 85% of the C&O's non coal fleet were boxcars. From this point I started digging in to my research. While many of the cars are have been produced and are all ready in my collection, there is a few noticeable holes. The one that intrigues me most is the rebuilt Hocking Valley cars 12000-12168 & 13558-13828 Door and Half boxes. These cars have a very unique look with the 2nd door being on the right instead of the more typical left side of center and a bit of bracing showing below the side sheets. These cars also had siblings with single doors that later gained a bit of notoriety with a special LCL paint scheme. From talking with friends, they agreed, that there really isn't a great way to kitbash either of these cars. 

As I stated earlier, my knowledge of boxcars was limited, that was mostly because I had focused on hopper cars making the same kind of lists in the past. When I ran into a similar issue with the C&O 3 bay welded hopper, I designed and printed them out myself. I feel that this is the way that I need to proceed with these boxcars. So now is where I need some help. I have numerous photos of both series of cars, painting and lettering diagrams as well as the appropriate pages from the 1960 & 1969 freight car diagram books. This will give me a good start, but there are things like the roof that don't show up in the diagrams and the photos don't show. Most of these cars had "Murphy Radial Steel Flexible" roofs. At this point, my knowledge and research is hitting a bit of a wall. What did these roofs look like? Are their photos or plans available of these roofs? Has anyone made a car with an accurate style of roof that I could use as a guide?

Any other help on this project would be greatly apricated. 

Dave Wetterstroem




Re: Wabash HO Box Cars for early to mid 1950s?

Todd Sullivan
 

Victor (and others),

I would be a bit careful about using boxcar ratios created from ORER listings as the exclusive method for creating a roster. 

You should be looking at loads arriving on your layout destined for your layout's customers, as well as loads out.  Both may dictate certain kinds of boxcars over other kinds.  For example, if you model lumber and plywood mills on your layout, double door boxcars, either 40ft or 50ft, would be in demand for loading all plywood, and finished lumber to a lesser extent.  My layout has a large feed mill and will have a large flour mill.  Both require single door boxcars, usually 40ft, for loading bagged feed and bagged flour.  Bulk feed loaded in a boxcar contaminates the car to the extent it is permanently assigned to bulk feed service until the interior is replaced.  (Feed is protein, and decomposing protein is very smelly.)

So, I encourage you to take stock of the industries your railroad serves, and tailor your boxcar fleet appropriately.  Of course, if you need lots of 'plane jane' 40ft single door boxcars, then the ratio game from the ORER comes into play.

Todd Sullivan