Date   

Re: Santa Fe Fe-24 and Fe-28 photos

mopacfirst
 

The photo of AT 10338 clearly shows a shop date of 11-46 (Topeka).  Conjecturing, this one could have been moved to freight service, repainted and had the steam and signal lines removed.  The other three photos show cars as new, the picture filename says 1941.  Conjecturing again, they could have had the steam and signal lines installed at Topeka after receipt.  Tom Birkett's observations match with this conjecture.

My Santa Fe freight car books have moved, but I have not, so I have no other data points to contribute.

Ron Merrick


Re: boxcars can be lined up on two tracks

 

Most flat roofs of that era and later in the Midwest are "tar paper".  More accurately; roofing felts tarred over in several layers.  I have crawled over many and on hot days, had the gooey tar on as many pairs of shoes.  The felts do not have a granulated top coat, just goo.

Mike Aufderheide
Architect, shoe cleaner.


CIM Container Gondola 15001

Bob Chaparro
 

CIM Container Gondola 15001

A fair quality undated photo from Richard Leonard’s Rail Archive:

https://www.railarchive.net/cimbook/page-m37.htm

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


Re: CB&T Shops car shells

Armand Premo
 

Eric,I could use a few if they are still available.Please advise. Armand Premo

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 12:50 PM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:
The CB&T Shops boxcar shells have been claimed. 


Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Apr 25, 2020, at 10:21 AM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

A friend contacted me about some excess HO scale freight car shells he found in storage. These are CB&T Shops kit shells only, and the version before the cast-on details were added. See the attached for a look. He wants only postage to move these along. Contact me OFF LIST at my email address below and I will forward your message.



Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

<IMG_3830.JPG>
<IMG_3832.JPG>


Re: Santa Fe Fe-24 and Fe-28 photos

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>
 

Thanks Garth,

    Unfortunately the D&H had no 50 ft. box cars in my era when the 17000 series 40 ft. steel cars they 
rostered were the longest boxcars they had. Lots of 36 ft. wood sheathed cars were still present, however.
Somehow I suspect you are not far from I-81 which is a road I see too much of between here and your area.
At least the Schenectady - Binghampton portion of it is quite scenic though not a much fun as when the D&H 
still owned the paralleling rails. Sometimes I still use NY Rt. #7 just to bring back old memories and will have
to swing up to Cooperstown one of thes e days and see what is lleft there.

My best, Don Valentine


Re: Santa Fe Fe-24 and Fe-28 photos

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>
 

Hi Tim,

    Unfortunately ORER's don't provide any info regarding use or usual  routes. They do, However,
tell me that your ATSF 10338 was one of 50 cars in the 10300-10350 group that list no special features 
such as being equipped for passenger service. What is shown is that they were simply 50 ft. cars with 
15 ft. staggered doors,

My best, Don Valentine


Re: Santa Fe Fe-24 and Fe-28 photos

Bob Chaparro
 

I seem to recall the Allied full-cushion trucks were banned from interchange about 1959 due to excessive derailments.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA 
 


Re: CB&T Shops car shells

Eric Hansmann
 

The CB&T Shops boxcar shells have been claimed. 


Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Apr 25, 2020, at 10:21 AM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

A friend contacted me about some excess HO scale freight car shells he found in storage. These are CB&T Shops kit shells only, and the version before the cast-on details were added. See the attached for a look. He wants only postage to move these along. Contact me OFF LIST at my email address below and I will forward your message.



Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

<IMG_3830.JPG>
<IMG_3832.JPG>


Re: Anthracite Hopper in S.W. Virginia Coal Fields

George Courtney
 

I think that's what sometimes called a Chiseled Side hopper. I've always wanted an excuse to model one.  I suppose if one appeared onlyin an operating session every two years it could be justified.  

Thanks,
George Courtney
 


Re: ASM Chrysler trucks (was WP Boxcar 20807)

Fred Jansz
 

Neither, haven't bought or tried them.
My WP collection is limited to 1950...
Fred Jansz


CB&T Shops car shells

Eric Hansmann
 

A friend contacted me about some excess HO scale freight car shells he found in storage. These are CB&T Shops kit shells only, and the version before the cast-on details were added. See the attached for a look. He wants only postage to move these along. Contact me OFF LIST at my email address below and I will forward your message.



Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN


Re: Santa Fe Fe-24 and Fe-28 photos

Thomas Birkett
 

When I was doing time studies on repair of wrecks in Topeka Shops in the 1970s,  I was surprised to see odd holes punched ( not burned with a torch) in the body bolsters of FE-24s. A little investigation led me to former passenger service assignments. Seems like I was also able to find where the brackets had been removed that held up the end valves and piping. All of the Allied Full Coil trucks were gone by this time.
Tom Birkett, Bartlesville


Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 6, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: John Barry <northbaylines@...>
Date: 4/25/20 10:07 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Santa Fe Fe-24 and Fe-28 photos

Oh, but they do!  

The Fe-24s numbered 4100-4399 carried the BX mechanical designation with a note that they were equipped for high speed passenger service with steel wheels, steam and signal lines.

John Barry
 
ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736


On Saturday, April 25, 2020, 10:24:51 AM EDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:



You sure about that Jim ? None of these cars have steam or signal lines.


On 4/25/2020 2:04 AM, Jim Gates via groups.io wrote:

Specifically, the 200 Fe-24 delivered for passenger service came with the Allied Full Cushion. The other 300 came with Barber S2 trucks. When 100 of these were modified for passenger service some got A-3 trucks. And most of the original passenger service cars either traded with the remaining freight ones or received A-3 trucks. All the Allied full Cushions disappeared in the late 40s. There are pictures of Fe-24 cars with other experimental trucks in the late 40s, these were short lived one shots.

Jim Gates
On Friday, April 24, 2020, 05:59:04 PM CDT, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:


Todd Sullivan wrote:

I have been looking on the web for several days trying to find clear photos of Santa Fe's class Fe-24 and Fe-28 50' double door boxcars.  I have a kit for each (P2K for Fe-24, Branchline for Fe-28), and I need to know what kind of trucks each one had, and check out other details before I proceed with the builds.

    The FE-24 cars got ASF A-3 trucks later (many were delivered with Allied Full Cushion). The -28s were delivered with A-3. This from the Hendrickson book on ATSF auto cars.

Tony Thompson


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Re: Santa Fe Fe-24 and Fe-28 photos

John Barry
 

Oh, but they do!  

The Fe-24s numbered 4100-4399 carried the BX mechanical designation with a note that they were equipped for high speed passenger service with steel wheels, steam and signal lines.

John Barry
 
ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736


On Saturday, April 25, 2020, 10:24:51 AM EDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:



You sure about that Jim ? None of these cars have steam or signal lines.


On 4/25/2020 2:04 AM, Jim Gates via groups.io wrote:

Specifically, the 200 Fe-24 delivered for passenger service came with the Allied Full Cushion. The other 300 came with Barber S2 trucks. When 100 of these were modified for passenger service some got A-3 trucks. And most of the original passenger service cars either traded with the remaining freight ones or received A-3 trucks. All the Allied full Cushions disappeared in the late 40s. There are pictures of Fe-24 cars with other experimental trucks in the late 40s, these were short lived one shots.

Jim Gates
On Friday, April 24, 2020, 05:59:04 PM CDT, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:


Todd Sullivan wrote:

I have been looking on the web for several days trying to find clear photos of Santa Fe's class Fe-24 and Fe-28 50' double door boxcars.  I have a kit for each (P2K for Fe-24, Branchline for Fe-28), and I need to know what kind of trucks each one had, and check out other details before I proceed with the builds.

    The FE-24 cars got ASF A-3 trucks later (many were delivered with Allied Full Cushion). The -28s were delivered with A-3. This from the Hendrickson book on ATSF auto cars.

Tony Thompson


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Re: Santa Fe Fe-24 and Fe-28 photos

Tim O'Connor
 


Here's one in 1962


On 4/25/2020 10:38 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Don,

D&H had 10 50-foot double-door boxcars in series 25000-25009. These were ex-PRR cars. I don't know when the D&H bought them, but they are in my October 1958 ORER. They had special racks for automobile radiators, in other words, in auto parts service. One is preserved on the Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley. My photo was taken in the early 1990s when the museum equipment was stored in Oneonta.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff 🦆

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 8:56 AM Donald B. Valentine via groups.io <riverman_vt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
     With Todd having raised questions about the Santa Fe's 50 ft. Auto/Furniture cars I'd like to raise some
further questions. When I was in high school I used to keep a record of the reporting marks and car numbers
of none home road cars I saw at various points within New England and now wish they had been saved. The 
specific reason for this today is that I do not remember seeing that many 50 ft.cars of any type in Northern
New England. Logically it would seem that automobiles being delivered to dealerships in smaller towns in the
region could have come in either 40 or 50 Auto cars. That said it would also seem that the 50 ft. auto cars 
used wo;d have been from roads like the GTW, NYC, Erie and possibly a few LV cars. Did the PM, DT&I,
AA or Wabash even roster such cars? The PM had some 50 ft. cars but they were largeky restricted for 
the PM"s Canadian lines having been constructed in Canada.The DT&I had over 200 50 ft. auto cars some 
of which were set up to handle auto parts and could have gone to the Ford Assembly plant in Somerville or 
the GMC plant in Framingham, MA  but I don't know that for certain. I have fnd n record for the AA having any 
50 ft. box cars while the Wabash had some 150 auto cars or 50 ft. in length 25 of which were even equipped 
with end doors but Wabash cars in my experience were a rare  car in Northern New England. Can anyone 
speak definitively about this? If cars from other roads of this specific design were to be found in the region 
what is a likely cargo for them? I realize there were some 50 ft. cars of lumber received from the Pacific 
Northwest but the only 50 ft. cars I remember in this service were No. Pac. cars purchased 2nd hand of the 
Pennsy's round roof variety, the last such car I saw having been in Arlington, Mass. in 1972, 25 years after the 
period I model. It would seem that Sou. Pac. or UP cars of this type might be a possibility with lumber out of 
Oregon but I can't think what a Santa Fe car, for example, might have carried. Who might have some thoughts 
for loads in cars of this type from Western roads?

My est, Don Valentine



Attachments:



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Re: boxcars can be lined up on two tracks

Scott
 

Do you know the date of that photo James?

Scott McDonald 


Re: Santa Fe Fe-24 and Fe-28 photos

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
 

Don,

D&H had 10 50-foot double-door boxcars in series 25000-25009. These were ex-PRR cars. I don't know when the D&H bought them, but they are in my October 1958 ORER. They had special racks for automobile radiators, in other words, in auto parts service. One is preserved on the Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley. My photo was taken in the early 1990s when the museum equipment was stored in Oneonta.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff 🦆

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 8:56 AM Donald B. Valentine via groups.io <riverman_vt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
     With Todd having raised questions about the Santa Fe's 50 ft. Auto/Furniture cars I'd like to raise some
further questions. When I was in high school I used to keep a record of the reporting marks and car numbers
of none home road cars I saw at various points within New England and now wish they had been saved. The 
specific reason for this today is that I do not remember seeing that many 50 ft.cars of any type in Northern
New England. Logically it would seem that automobiles being delivered to dealerships in smaller towns in the
region could have come in either 40 or 50 Auto cars. That said it would also seem that the 50 ft. auto cars 
used wo;d have been from roads like the GTW, NYC, Erie and possibly a few LV cars. Did the PM, DT&I,
AA or Wabash even roster such cars? The PM had some 50 ft. cars but they were largeky restricted for 
the PM"s Canadian lines having been constructed in Canada.The DT&I had over 200 50 ft. auto cars some 
of which were set up to handle auto parts and could have gone to the Ford Assembly plant in Somerville or 
the GMC plant in Framingham, MA  but I don't know that for certain. I have fnd n record for the AA having any 
50 ft. box cars while the Wabash had some 150 auto cars or 50 ft. in length 25 of which were even equipped 
with end doors but Wabash cars in my experience were a rare  car in Northern New England. Can anyone 
speak definitively about this? If cars from other roads of this specific design were to be found in the region 
what is a likely cargo for them? I realize there were some 50 ft. cars of lumber received from the Pacific 
Northwest but the only 50 ft. cars I remember in this service were No. Pac. cars purchased 2nd hand of the 
Pennsy's round roof variety, the last such car I saw having been in Arlington, Mass. in 1972, 25 years after the 
period I model. It would seem that Sou. Pac. or UP cars of this type might be a possibility with lumber out of 
Oregon but I can't think what a Santa Fe car, for example, might have carried. Who might have some thoughts 
for loads in cars of this type from Western roads?

My est, Don Valentine




Re: Santa Fe Fe-24 and Fe-28 photos

Tim O'Connor
 


Don,

There's nothing wrong with the questions, but it occurs to me that you
could answer these questions for yourself with Equipment Registers.



On 4/25/2020 8:56 AM, Donald B. Valentine via groups.io wrote:
     With Todd having raised questions about the Santa Fe's 50 ft. Auto/Furniture cars I'd like to raise some
further questions. When I was in high school I used to keep a record of the reporting marks and car numbers
of none home road cars I saw at various points within New England and now wish they had been saved. The 
specific reason for this today is that I do not remember seeing that many 50 ft.cars of any type in Northern
New England. Logically it would seem that automobiles being delivered to dealerships in smaller towns in the
region could have come in either 40 or 50 Auto cars. That said it would also seem that the 50 ft. auto cars 
used wo;d have been from roads like the GTW, NYC, Erie and possibly a few LV cars. Did the PM, DT&I,
AA or Wabash even roster such cars? The PM had some 50 ft. cars but they were largeky restricted for 
the PM"s Canadian lines having been constructed in Canada.The DT&I had over 200 50 ft. auto cars some 
of which were set up to handle auto parts and could have gone to the Ford Assembly plant in Somerville or 
the GMC plant in Framingham, MA  but I don't know that for certain. I have fnd n record for the AA having any 
50 ft. box cars while the Wabash had some 150 auto cars or 50 ft. in length 25 of which were even equipped 
with end doors but Wabash cars in my experience were a rare  car in Northern New England. Can anyone 
speak definitively about this? If cars from other roads of this specific design were to be found in the region 
what is a likely cargo for them? I realize there were some 50 ft. cars of lumber received from the Pacific 
Northwest but the only 50 ft. cars I remember in this service were No. Pac. cars purchased 2nd hand of the 
Pennsy's round roof variety, the last such car I saw having been in Arlington, Mass. in 1972, 25 years after the 
period I model. It would seem that Sou. Pac. or UP cars of this type might be a possibility with lumber out of 
Oregon but I can't think what a Santa Fe car, for example, might have carried. Who might have some thoughts 
for loads in cars of this type from Western roads?

My est, Don Valentine


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Re: Santa Fe Fe-24 and Fe-28 photos

Tim O'Connor
 


You sure about that Jim ? None of these cars have steam or signal lines.


On 4/25/2020 2:04 AM, Jim Gates via groups.io wrote:
Specifically, the 200 Fe-24 delivered for passenger service came with the Allied Full Cushion. The other 300 came with Barber S2 trucks. When 100 of these were modified for passenger service some got A-3 trucks. And most of the original passenger service cars either traded with the remaining freight ones or received A-3 trucks. All the Allied full Cushions disappeared in the late 40s. There are pictures of Fe-24 cars with other experimental trucks in the late 40s, these were short lived one shots.

Jim Gates
On Friday, April 24, 2020, 05:59:04 PM CDT, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:


Todd Sullivan wrote:

I have been looking on the web for several days trying to find clear photos of Santa Fe's class Fe-24 and Fe-28 50' double door boxcars.  I have a kit for each (P2K for Fe-24, Branchline for Fe-28), and I need to know what kind of trucks each one had, and check out other details before I proceed with the builds.

    The FE-24 cars got ASF A-3 trucks later (many were delivered with Allied Full Cushion). The -28s were delivered with A-3. This from the Hendrickson book on ATSF auto cars.

Tony Thompson


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Re: boxcars can be lined up on two tracks

Brian Termunde
 

Interesting the spacing between cars, I would have thought that they would have remained coupled.

Great photo BTW, thanks for sharing it.

Take Care,
 
Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah


Re: boxcars can be lined up on two tracks
From: James SANDIFER
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 19:33:50 PDT
Standard procedure at freight houses.
 
 
J. Stephen Sandifer
 
 Attachments:


Re: ASM Chrysler trucks (was WP Boxcar 20807)

Tim O'Connor
 

Fred

They're very pretty - have you ROLL TESTED them? Some brass trucks roll well.

And many don't roll worth a damn. So which are these? ;-)

Tim O'Connor

On 4/24/2020 4:15 PM, Fred Jansz wrote:
American Scale Models.
Fred Jansz
https://americanscalemodels.com/HO/HO_Detail_Parts/Trucks?product_id=1855
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

8841 - 8860 of 181139