Date   

Re: Modifying Con-Cor USRA Box Car

jerryglow2
 

Good choice for the doors and I'd use their ends also. I'm familiar with the kit (might still have an unbuilt one) and scratch built one using the new Gould (at the time) ends following a Bob Hundman article in Mainline Modeler.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Riley K" <riley050748@...> wrote:

I have a C&WC car I bought in 1967 and never built. The bug bit me again and I am back building HO models. I'm trying to update it with some current parts. Have decided to use Tichy "wooden doors" and am asking for your advice on replacing the metal ends which came with the kit. The brake work will be Tichy K brake parts.

Who makes parts which will be adequate for this model's ends? Any help is appreciated.


Re: Airbrush Help

leakinmywaders
 

Richard: I have a very basic, first-generation Aztek that I've painted with for about ten years. I'm fine with it-- it does what I need it too, and with easy cleanup and minimum fuss. I very seldom get clogs with acrylic paints if I use a metal mesh filter in the intake tube, and keep the nozzle wet with a shot of Windex any time I set the bush down for a few minutes. But I do keep a second acrylic nozzle on hand for those occasions when clogs happen. In the event of persistent clogs, I have always been able to unclog the nozzles with a simple overnight solvent soak.

I can't recall getting a clog more than once or twice with slower-drying laquer-based paints like Scalecoat. I'm still painting those with the original nozzle. Best,

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> wrote:

Thanks to Greg Martin, Jack Burgess, Kurt Laughlin, Rich Orr, and Tim
O'Connor for their feedback on the Aztec airbrush, all of it very
useful. I haven't made a decision yet, but I really appreciate the
help.

Richard Hendrickson



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: Coal in the Pacific Northwest

leakinmywaders
 

Richard:

I too was content to let this pass, but since you took one more kick at this: My post was not incorrect (nor so car as I can tell were most of the others on list). Though irrelevant to the original question, it was certainly relevant to a sweeping statement you made about commercial mining of coal in Oregon. Though doubtless insignificant to Mr. Peabody, in the context of time and place, the coal mined at Coos Bay was important economically and socially to those who participated in that industry and those who followed them--and in fact it spawned small industrial railroads, which rails lasted into the era of this list. It was not my intent to nitpick, but only to ensure one small historical fact was not forgotten in the rush to generalize.

Any implication that my post contradicted the main thrust of your original message was a long stretch meant to be tongue in cheek. I thought I made that fairly plain, but if not, let it be plain now. Best,

Chris Frissell
Self-Appointed, MT

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> wrote:

I said I would have no more to say on this subject, but I can't
resist responding to Dave's very useful post.
....
So what does this tell us? I got a lot of grief, some of it off-
list, about my post on this subject which started the whole
discussion, but it appears to me that Dave's evidence entirely
confirms my original statements (except for my ignorance about the
NP's use of coal, which I've already admitted). Doesn't that make a
lot of the responses to my post by self-appointed experts on Pacific
Northwest coal seem either wrong or irrelevant?

Richard Hendrickson



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: Coal in the Pacific Northwest -- some FACTS

Dave Nelson
 

Actually everything I wrote was correct. I just forgot to include the
phrase "per miner" after the word coal. It's a bit more than half the US
average, so not only are these small mines, they're low productivity mines
as well.

Anyway, the other fact I omitted to mention that fully half of Washington's
coal came from a single mine and whatever it was named it was located in
Kittitas county. Google maps tells me Kittitas county is near Stampede
Pass, on the east side of the Cascades. Unlike most of Washington's mines
it operated for most workdays of the year.

Dave Nelson

-----Original Message-----
From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tim
O'Connor

Dave, you've got to watch those decimal points...

Tim O'Connor

The average DAILY producion of coal in Washington state was 3.89 tons.


Re: express reefers loading/unloading

Brian Carlson
 

Thanks tony: It's one of those questions that popped up while researching
the Niagara Frontier (Buffalo) NY) Food terminal.



Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY



From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Anthony Thompson
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 10:04 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [STMFC] express reefers loading/unloading



From what I know about PFE, the produce terminals were always
used, not passenger depots. The role of REA is an interesting
question, as they controlled express reefers for most railroads, but I
think were still routed to produce terminals to serve the normal
buyers in those locations.


Re: Slide scanner

Schuyler Larrabee
 

Excuse the intrusion on the list, but please copy me on replies off list, too. Thanks.

SGL

I have a lot of slides and negatives of steam freight cars that I want to scan. My Epson
Perfection 2400 does a nice job,
but is slow. Since the moderator probably won't let this thread continue for long, please contact
me off list with
suggestions for an upgrade. If you have experience with an Epson Perfection V500, please let me
hear from you.
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@sbcglobal.net <mailto:steve.sandifer%40sbcglobal.net>
Home: 12027 Mulholland Drive, Meadows Place, TX 77477, 281-568-9918
Office: Southwest Central Church of Christ, 4011 W. Bellfort, Houston, TX 77025, 713-667-9417




E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (7.0.0.508)
Database version: 6.14000
http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/


Re: express reefers loading/unloading

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
 

Brian Carlson wrote:
To get away from coal for a moment. at larger terminals, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cleveland, etc would express reefers of strawberries for instance be unloaded at the station or REA terminal, or would they be delivered a food/produce terminal in the city. Cities like Buffalo and Cleveland had food terminals and I was wondering if express reefers would be switched from a passenger train to these locations?
From what I know about PFE, the produce terminals were always used, not passenger depots. The role of REA is an interesting question, as they controlled express reefers for most railroads, but I think were still routed to produce terminals to serve the normal buyers in those locations.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history


Coal Cars Book

bob_karig <karig@...>
 

I would like to post this reminder that I maintain an addenda and errata sheet for my book, Coal Cars: The First Three Hundred Years. The sheet is in pdf format and can be accessed at the following site:

http://home.earthlink.net/~coalcars/Coal_Cars.html

Bob Karig


Re: Coal in the Pacific Northwest -- some FACTS

bob_karig <karig@...>
 

I've just uploaded a map of the coal bearing areas of the United States into a folder by that name. The map is from the Energy Information Administration. It shows the sources of coal by type throughout the fifty states.

Bob Karig


express reefers loading/unloading

Brian Carlson
 

To get away from coal for a moment. at larger terminals, Pittsburgh,
Buffalo, Cleveland, etc would express reefers of strawberries for instance
be unloaded at the station or REA terminal, or would they be delivered a
food/produce terminal in the city. Cities like Buffalo and Cleveland had
food terminals and I was wondering if express reefers would be switched from
a passenger train to these locations?
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY


Slide scanner

Steve SANDIFER
 

I have a lot of slides and negatives of steam freight cars that I want to scan. My Epson Perfection 2400 does a nice job, but is slow. Since the moderator probably won't let this thread continue for long, please contact me off list with suggestions for an upgrade. If you have experience with an Epson Perfection V500, please let me hear from you.
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@sbcglobal.net
Home: 12027 Mulholland Drive, Meadows Place, TX 77477, 281-568-9918
Office: Southwest Central Church of Christ, 4011 W. Bellfort, Houston, TX 77025, 713-667-9417


Re: Airbrush Help

Richard Hendrickson
 

Thanks to Greg Martin, Jack Burgess, Kurt Laughlin, Rich Orr, and Tim
O'Connor for their feedback on the Aztec airbrush, all of it very
useful. I haven't made a decision yet, but I really appreciate the
help.

Richard Hendrickson


Re: Coal in the Pacific Northwest

Tim O'Connor
 

Richard, I see no reason to resort to ad hominems about
"self appointed experts". I responded, and Jerry responded,
to a gross generalization about the use and mining of coal
in the "Pacific Northwest" (OR-WA-BC according to you) which
has a vast and diverse geography and history. And by your own
admission, you were wrong about the NP in this era, and about
GN et al in earlier eras. (Your original email was not specific
about any time period.) So what's your beef?

Last time I checked, there are nothing BUT self appointments
here and elsewhere in our hobby, as there is no official system
of appointments. Another straw man bites the dust.

Dave's post was nice but it did not provide any facts to
corroborate your original argument that coal was not used by
railroads for steam locomotives in the PNW. Twenty thousand
carloads of coal a year is about the same number of carloads
as apples loaded in Washington at this time, yet I don't hear
anyone claiming that apple production in Washington was negligible
and unimportant because apples are grown all over the US.

Coal happens. Accept it.

Tim O'Connor

So what does this tell us? I got a lot of grief, some of it off-
list, about my post on this subject which started the whole
discussion, but it appears to me that Dave's evidence entirely
confirms my original statements (except for my ignorance about the
NP's use of coal, which I've already admitted). Doesn't that make a
lot of the responses to my post by self-appointed experts on Pacific
Northwest coal seem either wrong or irrelevant?
Richard Hendrickson


Re: Coal in the Pacific Northwest

Richard Hendrickson
 

I said I would have no more to say on this subject, but I can't
resist responding to Dave's very useful post.

On Dec 28, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Dave Nelson wrote:

A few FACTS from the 1950 edition of the Minerals Yearbook, published
annually by the Federal Depoartment of the Interior.
Which I don't have access to, so I'm glad Dave does.

In 1949 there were a total of 8559 Bituminous coal mines in the United
States, of which a grand total of 31 were located in Washington, 1
in Idaho,
and 0 in Oregon (hereafter refered to as NW States).

Total coal production in the US exceeded 480,000,000 tons, of which
only
902,265 tons were produced in the NW States mentioned above (that's
0.19% of
the total). Of this 902k tons, the Northern Pacific was asked to
move 476k
tons and the Great Northern 107k tons....it isn't very hard to
estimate how many
cars were used to move the above coal, in total, or as a daily
average (i.e., not many).
[snip]

FWIW, the Western Pacific moved 391k tons of bit coal in 1950. I'm
led to
understand a majority of that went to Washington state.
So what does this tell us? I got a lot of grief, some of it off-
list, about my post on this subject which started the whole
discussion, but it appears to me that Dave's evidence entirely
confirms my original statements (except for my ignorance about the
NP's use of coal, which I've already admitted). Doesn't that make a
lot of the responses to my post by self-appointed experts on Pacific
Northwest coal seem either wrong or irrelevant?

Richard Hendrickson


Re: Coal in the Pacific Northwest -- some FACTS

Tim O'Connor
 

Mike

Yes, I previously noted that WA coal production indicated
about 50 50-ton carloads a day... (based on production) and
NP evidently moved about 1/2 of the coal. Much of this coal was
no doubt for steam power in Washington, Idaho and probably Montana.
Rich Meyer produced decals for the PCR gondolas because he saw them
in Minot ND. GN had two coal districts -- west and east -- and the
coal division point was Williston ND. There were two coal chutes at
Williston, one for each type of coal.

Tim O'Connor

At 12/28/2009 02:38 PM Monday, you wrote:
Hmmm. Dave's data shows that NP moved about 25 loads of Washington coal per
day. Kind of like the guy who was the last guy killed by bullet in WW2.
Probably not many killed at that time and, therefore, not a significant
event...unless you happen to be the guy killed. 25 loads of coal in one day
ain't much...unless the NP happened to deliver 52 tons of it to your front
yard by mistake.

Mike Brock


Re: Coal in the Pacific Northwest -- some FACTS

Tim O'Connor
 

Dave, you've got to watch those decimal points...

Tim O'Connor

The average DAILY producion of coal in Washington state was 3.89 tons.


Re: Airbrush Help

Tim O'Connor
 

Richard

I have the original "Aztek" and a later replacement. I've found it
very difficult to prevent clogging. When it works, it works very
nicely, even with acrylic colors. The basic lesson is to use
very fresh paint* (absolutely no particles in it) and to clean the
nozzle the second you stop with a color. Don't even let it sit for
10 seconds... The coolest feature is of course being able to change
the tips so easily, and I like having caps on the color cups.

* With acrylics, I pour out what I want from the bottle. Anything
that is not used is thrown away. Never put it back in the bottle.
This keeps the bottle fresh.

On the other hand, mostly I use my Paasche H and VL... I know how
they work and how to clean them, and they are predictable.

Tim O'Connor

At 12/28/2009 12:03 PM Monday, you wrote:
I have an opportunity to acquire a Testor's Aztek airbrush as a
replacement for my ancient Badger airbrush. I'd like to hear
opinions about the Aztek from any of you who have one. Advantages?
Drawbacks? Any maintenance problems? TIA

Richard Hendrickson


Modifying Con-Cor USRA Box Car

Riley K <riley050748@...>
 

I have a C&WC car I bought in 1967 and never built. The bug bit me again and I am back building HO models. I'm trying to update it with some current parts. Have decided to use Tichy "wooden doors" and am asking for your advice on replacing the metal ends which came with the kit. The brake work will be Tichy K brake parts.

Who makes parts which will be adequate for this model's ends? Any help is appreciated.


Re: Airbrush Help

SUVCWORR@...
 

Richard,

I purchased one of the Aztek brushes when they were first introduced. I have used it almost exclusively since then for acrylics
and most enamels. I do still use my old Badger for weathering with enamels as I think I can get a fine mist for overall weathering
and finer lines for shadowing from the Badger for this purpose.

Rich Orr

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@opendoor.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, Dec 28, 2009 9:03 am
Subject: [STMFC] Airbrush Help




I have an opportunity to acquire a Testor's Aztek airbrush as a
replacement for my ancient Badger airbrush. I'd like to hear
opinions about the Aztek from any of you who have one. Advantages?
Drawbacks? Any maintenance problems? TIA

Richard Hendrickson













------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links


Re: Coal in the Pacific Northwest -- some FACTS

Mike Brock <brockm@...>
 

Hmmm. Dave's data shows that NP moved about 25 loads of Washington coal per day. Kind of like the guy who was the last guy killed by bullet in WW2. Probably not many killed at that time and, therefore, not a significant event...unless you happen to be the guy killed. 25 loads of coal in one day ain't much...unless the NP happened to deliver 52 tons of it to your front yard by mistake.

Mike Brock

94641 - 94660 of 182130