Topics

Used book sites

MDelvec952@...

In a message dated 12/12/00 4:30:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
muskoka@... writes:

Find _Tank Car Journeys_ in some used bookstore on the net.

I'd love to. Can someone recommend some good used book sites?

....Mike

MDelvec952@...

In a message dated 12/12/00 6:11:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rhendrickson@... writes:

I tried http://www.abebooks.com/ and found two copies, and some
>other interesting stuff.

I tried that website and it wouldn't come up. ???

Try it again, Richard. Or try simply AbeBooks.com. I tried it, and the
site is just wonderful. There's hardly a used railway title I couldn't find
on it. Even found a copy of "Painting of Railway Equipment,"
Simmons-Boardman 1924, written by Lackawanna shopforeman Miller. I've only
ever seen one other copy in circulation. I bought it. Two copies of Shay
Locomotive are on there -- that's just about the rarest of the rare.

Thanks, Jeff Aley, for suggesting the site.

All the best, ....Mike

Jeff Aley - GCD PE <jaley@...>

Mike,

I tried http://www.abebooks.com/ and found two copies, and some
other interesting stuff.

Regards,

-Jeff

Subject: [STMFC] Used book sites

-- End of excerpt from MDelvec952@...
--
Jeff Aley, Development Engineer jaley@...
Graphics Components Division

Richard Hendrickson

Mike,

I tried http://www.abebooks.com/ and found two copies, and some
other interesting stuff.
I tried that website and it wouldn't come up. ???

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Gail & Tom Madden <tgmadden@...>

Mike,

I tried http://www.abebooks.com/ and found two copies, and some
other interesting stuff.
I tried that website and it wouldn't come up. ???

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Try again.

Tom M.

thompson@...

I tried http://www.abebooks.com/ and found two copies, and some
other interesting stuff.
I tried that website and it wouldn't come up. ???
I have gotten the message "refused by server" on this site several times
this afternoon. But the URL is presumably good.

Jeff Aley - GCD PE <jaley@...>

While we're still off topic, you may also find http://www.bibliofind.com/
to be helpful. Note that neither Advanced Book Exchange (ABE) nor
Bibliofind are actual booksellers. Instead they contain listings from
many smaller book dealers. As a result, each web site might find the same
book.

Other search sites:

http://www.bookfinder.com/
http://www.ippi.com/antiquarian-archive.html
http://www.alibris.com/home.cfm

Best of luck!

-Jeff

Subject: Re: [STMFC] Used book sites
rhendrickson@... writes:

I tried http://www.abebooks.com/ and found two copies, and some
>other interesting stuff.

I tried that website and it wouldn't come up. ???

Try it again, Richard. Or try simply AbeBooks.com. I tried it, and
the
site is just wonderful. There's hardly a used railway title I couldn't
find
on it. Even found a copy of "Painting of Railway Equipment,"
Simmons-Boardman 1924, written by Lackawanna shopforeman Miller. I've
only
ever seen one other copy in circulation. I bought it. Two copies of
Shay
Locomotive are on there -- that's just about the rarest of the rare.

Thanks, Jeff Aley, for suggesting the site.

All the best, ....Mike
--
Jeff Aley, Development Engineer jaley@...
Graphics Components Division
Intel Corporation, Folsom, CA
(916) 356-3533

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

In the interest of making the STMFC more useful, I will compile a simple
document containing links to internet railroad book dealers, and will keep
it reasonably up to date, and the document will be maintained in the files
area of STMFC. I will start with Jeff's list and a few dozen (!) that I have
found myself over the past few years...

This is one of the features about egroups that I really like. For example a
member of the steamloco group compiled a list of prototypes for HO
scale non-brass steam locomotive models. That type of thing has real
value, IMO.

If people wanted to use STMFC to preview articles, or just "publish" in
the files area, I think that would be great! We could use STMFC for
serious sharing and collaboration, whereas FCL is for general "probing"
for information and modeling chat.

P.S. As Jeff notes, there is a difference between booksellers and "index"
(or "portal") web sites. I will keep them separate in the list.

to be helpful. Note that neither Advanced Book Exchange (ABE) nor
Bibliofind are actual booksellers. Instead they contain listings from
many smaller book dealers. As a result, each web site might find the same
book.

Other search sites:

http://www.bookfinder.com/
http://www.ippi.com/antiquarian-archive.html
http://www.alibris.com/home.cfm

Richard Hendrickson

Thanks, Jeff. Just what I need - another way to spend money!

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Jared Harper

I would just Google the title and sites will come up.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Nolan Hinshaw

On Jun 27, 2018, at 8:29 PM, Jared Harper wrote:

I would just Google the title and sites will come up.
bookfinder.com is one web porta to a veritable horde of online booksellers.
--
Nolan Hinshaw, San Francisco

Tom Madden

Jared Harper wrote:
> I would just Google the title and sites will come up.

This is bizarre. I wasn't sure what Jared was replying to, so, since I was reading his post on the web, I clicked the <back> arrow to see the previous post in the thread. (The thread "Used book sites".) Got a jolt when the previous post turned out to be from Richard Hendrickson of Ashland, Oregon! Then I saw the date of Richard's post: 12/12/2000. Dang, I thought for a moment.....

I've noticed before thatĀ if you choose a topic title that matches word for word one that has been used,previously, no matter how long in the past that might have been, your post will show as a reply to that thread and not as a new one.

Tom Madden