Topics

Tank Car Traffic

Richard Hendrickson

While we're on the subject:

Were the cars of the big lessor/owners, like UTLX, SHPX
and GATX assigned regionally, or were cars simply leased
out to companies wherever they might be? I'm curious to
know if the cars that Mr. English documented on the East
Coast would have tended to stay in that area.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Some cars were on long-term leases and
remained in the service of the same shipper (and often on the same routes)
year after year. Some of these cars were stenciled with the shipper's
logo, but most were not. Other cars were leased on a short-term basis,
sometimes for only a single trip, and once they were returned to the car
owner's pool, cleaned, and serviced, their next trip could be to anywhere
in North America.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Shawn Beckert

While we're on the subject:

Were the cars of the big lessor/owners, like UTLX, SHPX
and GATX assigned regionally, or were cars simply leased
out to companies wherever they might be? I'm curious to
know if the cars that Mr. English documented on the East
Coast would have tended to stay in that area.

Shawn Beckert

Richard Hendrickson

Jeff, In further contemplating the UOCX car you identified as being on the
Rutland, I realized that you found it in

Switch Lists for Train #9 westbound out of Alburgh, Vermont, 9-21-
42 through 12-31-42, 5443 cars
So I'm not so surprised, after all. That was a period when there was still
a desparate shortage of tank cars, the feds had essentially pooled all
available tank cars to transport crude oil to eastern refineries while the
"big inch" and "little inch" pipelines were being constructed, and all bets
were off regarding where the cars of a particular owner might turn up.
Also, the gasoline business was off in the west (owing to severe
rationing), so Union might well have had surplus cars which went to the
government pool.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520