Topics

[FC] Early Steel Ends

Richard Hendrickson

John Nehrich wrote:

....what is the earliest the Dreadnaught end was seen? I have a
date of 1925, but maybe someone can beat that?
That's the earliest date I've seen for cars with Dreadnaught ends. And it
seems significant that they're not shown in the 1925 Car Builders'
Cyclopedia, where they would surely have been included if they had been
developed earlier than that.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

John Nehrich <nehrij@...>

I always wonder about the railroad's philosophy of ever stronger ends to
deal with shifting loads. It's as if auto makers worried about making ever
stronger windshields rather than sitbelts and air bags, but it was about
four decades between the first steel ends and load restraining devices.
By the way, what is the earliest the Dreadnaught end was seen? I have a
date of 1925, but maybe someone can beat that? - John