From: Garth G. Groff [mailto:ggg9y@virginia.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 5:19 AM
To: STMFC@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: War Emergency Hoppers

Tony,

Via-a-vis the C&O, the purity of their coal trains varied with different
parts of the system. In Virginia, published photo evidence shows that in
the late steam era the trains were about 99% C&O. The major exception
was for Berwind hoppers. A modest fleet of these was mixed with the
C&O's, and indeed they were maintained at Newport News.

In western West Virginia and Kentucky, the situation was quite
different. The C&O had joint operations with the Virginian and the NYC
(the details of which I no longer have). There are published photos
showing Virginian cars in C&O trains from this area. Cars from these two
roads, at least, would not have been rare, though probably not so common
on the C&O either. More likely they would have been loaded on joint
lines for a specific destination on their home roads, picked up in a
local or sweeper train, and then marshalled into cuts for interchange to
their home roads.

Of course, freight cars themselves were almost never photographed by
fans in those days, unless they just happened to be behind some monster
steam locomotive. This tends to skew the value of photos as evidence. I
agree that conductors' books are better sources, but you would still
need a pile of them from different men, since a conductor with seniority
might always be on the same run with the same car mix (or lack of mix)
for years at a time.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff
Not based on the C&O photos I've browsed--though I can't claim to be
anything like an expert on C&O.

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

[...]

thompson@...

Mike Brock says:
I believe that most photographic evidence will show that during the steam
era, N&W coal trains operating on N&W tracks contained a very high per
centage of N&W hoppers. I'm not nearly so certain about the C&O...primarily
because there were certain areas where coal was, I think, interchanged
between other RRs and the C&O.
Not based on the C&O photos I've browsed--though I can't claim to be
anything like an expert on C&O.

Here, things get a bit tricky. The Prince book shows...and there is a
pamphlet published by the N&W itself supporting Prince's book...that 22
million tons went west of N&W's coal fields...basically through Cicinnati.
Now, this stuff, apparently, found its way into Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois,
Chicago being mentioned. There was a lot of plants using coal back then in
those areas. I have seen some photos of groups of N&W hoppers in trains
moving through the area but real data would be needed to know for sure. The
B&O steam tape by Heron does show 4 or 5 N&W hoppers being moved near a B&O
coaling tower in the upper midwest.
I don't claim N&W (or any particular road) didn't send hoppers off line.
What I do say is that, aside from traffic like coal to the Great Lakes, it
was only in small groups in MOST cases. Documentation needed in general.

My all time favorite, of course, is that damned
Lackawanna [ heck, I don't know how to spell it, why should I? ] hopper
behind the Challenger on Sherman Hill. Second, though, has to be the lone MP
hopper in the long string of B&O cars heading from Lake Erie back to West BY
God Virginia.
Note: one lonely hopper in each case. If you want oddballs, I have a
photo of a Reading (empty) hopper in LA in the early 1950s. Am I going to
model it? Hell no.

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

The Santa Fe used their WE hoppers for coal service on the eastern part
of the system and also for borate service on the Mojave desert in Calif.
In neither role did they go off-line much; all the photos I have show
them on Santa Fe rails except for one Paul Dunn shot of a Ga-62 at
Zanesville, OH. The Q cars were used mostly in Illinois coal service,
as were the Illinois Central's. So the generalization that these cars
didn't stray far from home rails applies out west as well as on the
eastern coal roads.
I don't have any evidence from the 1940's, but I do have plenty of photos
from the "Front Range" of Colorado in the 1960's showing a lot of hoppers
from distant owners, and lots of mixed up consists. The beet harvest in
Colorado and Wyoming was quite intense, and everyone seemed to get a
piece of the action. Cars were shanghied as needed, evidently. Pueblo
(CF&I Steel) received coke from the east, resulting in L&N and Southern
Railway and IC hoppers. C&NW hoppers are in abundance too. But Richard
is no doubt correct in the sense that 99% of Q and AT&SF hoppers were
probably on home rails 90% (or more) of the time.

Timothy O'Connor <timoconnor@mediaone.net>
Marlborough, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Shawn Beckert wrote

My problem is nailing down the type of traffic that moved
on the Cotton Belt during these years. Since this was a
"bridge line" moving freight through the St. Louis gateway
to points West, I can get away with running all types of
cars, up to a point. What's hard is trying to pin down what
percentage of what kind of freight moved on the SSW. And one
of my problems is knowing how much coal - if any - they were
moving in my era of interest. I asked about the P2K hoppers
because I don't want to spend money on them if they wouldn't
normally be seen in Cotton Belt territory. Thus my question
to the List. Can anyone tell me with confidence that these
cars should not be represented on my railroad?
From my "Report on the Alton Railroad Company", there is a
table showing that "transcontinental traffic"* for 1920's-30's

(1) Tonnage split about 68% eastbound, 32% westbound
(2) About 39% of eastbound tons were perishable foods
(3) About 38% of eastbound tons were lumber and wood products
(4) About 15% of westbound tons were iron, steel products
(5) About 19% of westbound tons were autos, trucks, parts
(6) Other westbound traffic was manufactured products which
included merchandise, paper, foods, beverages

That sounds about right to me for bridge traffic on the SSW.
Coal would have been received by the SSW at St Louis, Memphis
and other points for distribution all over its lines, but not
as bridge traffic. I think IC, GM&O, L&N, NC&StL, Southern,
B&O, C&O, Wabash, CB&Q, MP, C&EI, RI, and even NYC coal cars
would not be unusual on the SSW between St Louis/Memphis and
Pine Bluff. What you need is a list of SSW online customers to
see which ones received coal, and from whom!

[ * The table is not entirely clear about how it defines
traffic to be transcontinental or not. My guess is that
it may simply mean freight conveyed from western roads
to eastern or midwestern connections. The book is chock
full of data and I haven't studied much of it closely. ]

Timothy O'Connor <timoconnor@mediaone.net>
Marlborough, Massachusetts

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Tony Thompson writes:

That coal hoppers went off line is not in dispute. That they did so "in
large numbers" is relative. The fact remains that most photos of coal
trains in coal country show very high percentages of home road cars.
I believe that most photographic evidence will show that during the steam
era, N&W coal trains operating on N&W tracks contained a very high per
centage of N&W hoppers. I'm not nearly so certain about the C&O...primarily
because there were certain areas where coal was, I think, interchanged
between other RRs and the C&O. In particular, I refer to the L&N. Before
making a claim like that, I'd want to do some research, however.

OTOH,
research has demonstrated that coal moved via certain routes off-line,
e.g.
to the Great Lakes for export. But please note that such is NOT the same
as
"going everywere off line," as we might expect with XM, FM, etc. cars.
Here, things get a bit tricky. The Prince book shows...and there is a
pamphlet published by the N&W itself supporting Prince's book...that 22
million tons went west of N&W's coal fields...basically through Cicinnati.
Now, this stuff, apparently, found its way into Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois,
Chicago being mentioned. There was a lot of plants using coal back then in
those areas. I have seen some photos of groups of N&W hoppers in trains
moving through the area but real data would be needed to know for sure. The
B&O steam tape by Heron does show 4 or 5 N&W hoppers being moved near a B&O
coaling tower in the upper midwest. Tony is certainly correct in his
statement about hoppers not going everywhere off line. In fact, I recall
being told at one time in the 50s that coal could only be shipped about 400
miles by rail economically. Now, I don't know how accurate that statement
was, but....

I think if you want to model off-line coal hoppers, you need
documentation of what you choose to model. As someone else has said, the
favorite modeler's coal train in which every hopper is a different road is
plain silly. The farther we get from that, the better.
Yes. However, IF one were to model the Q in the Southern Illinois coal
fields, one might come closer to that than in other areas. Apparently some
mines were served by as many as 5 RRs with one...and it changed every
yr...providing the motive power. Thus, photos show mine yds with IC, Q, MP,
C&EI and NYC cars present. My all time favorite, of course, is that damned
Lackawanna [ heck, I don't know how to spell it, why should I? ] hopper
behind the Challenger on Sherman Hill. Second, though, has to be the lone MP
hopper in the long string of B&O cars heading from Lake Erie back to West BY
God Virginia. Well, both B&O and MP cars WERE black, after all.

Mike Hopper Brock

Ted Culotta <ted@...>

For what it's worth, Berwind cars had instructions painted on the cars
instructing to route either via the Pennsy or the C&O to get them back to
the Berwind-owned mines. Also, it was not an either/or proposition. Some
cars were assigned to mines using Pennsy lines, others to mines using C&O
lines.

Ted

From: Beckert, Shawn [mailto:shawn.beckert@disney.com]
(Sigh). I'll have to get painfully specific here, which
I probably should have done in the first place. I model,
or am attempting to model, the St. Louis Southwestern as
it would have looked from roughly World War Two up until
the mid 1960's.
My problem is nailing down the type of traffic that moved
on the Cotton Belt during these years.
You want the ICC Commodity Classification reports. I placed a spreadsheet
copy of the Rutland report (from 1948) in the shared files area here on
egroups.com. In addition to the raw data, I converted the tons to carloads
etc. etc. Take a look and judge whether such info could be of use to you.
My source is Stanford Library -- their government document repository.
There are a few other major universities that have the same reports.

Dave Nelson

Jeff Aley - GCD PE <jaley@...>

Mike,

It appears to be established fact [*] that eastern road hoppers
went off-line. Question: when they went off line, did they do so as
[essentially] unit trains (i.e. all N&W hoppers together in a giant block)
or were they evenly distributed like box cars (an N&W car, then a C&O,
then a VGN, then a couple more N&W...).

Regards,

-Jeff

[*] If you state anything long and loud enough, people will believe you
:-)

--
Jeff Aley, Development Engineer jaley@pcocd2.intel.com
Graphics Components Division
Intel Corporation, Folsom, CA
(916) 356-3533

Shawn Beckert

Mike Brock, in the midst of an informative post, wrote:

Oooooh no. I spent a month proving that coal bearing
hopper cars not only went off home rails, but did so
frequently.
(Sigh). I'll have to get painfully specific here, which
I probably should have done in the first place. I model,
or am attempting to model, the St. Louis Southwestern as
it would have looked from roughly World War Two up until
the mid 1960's. From what I can tell from my sources of
information, the fixed plant of the railroad changed very
little in this period. Means I get to run 2-8-0's, FT's,
and if I feel frisky, GP-20's, all on the same layout. Not
all at the same time ,of course ;-)

My problem is nailing down the type of traffic that moved
on the Cotton Belt during these years. Since this was a
"bridge line" moving freight through the St. Louis gateway
to points West, I can get away with running all types of
cars, up to a point. What's hard is trying to pin down what
percentage of what kind of freight moved on the SSW. And one
of my problems is knowing how much coal - if any - they were
moving in my era of interest. I asked about the P2K hoppers
because I don't want to spend money on them if they wouldn't
normally be seen in Cotton Belt territory. Thus my question
to the List. Can anyone tell me with confidence that these
cars should not be represented on my railroad?

Shawn Beckert

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Dave Nelson writes:

Ted's is the safe answer. There were exceptions: I have a number of
Southern Rwy conductors books from the 40's & early 50's for the main east
out of Asheville, NC -- I've got a count of 191 SOU hoppers listed (mostly
in company service), but well more than 200 hoppers from 26 other roads
(including the NYC, MILW, B&M, Alton, C&NW, and MSL to cite the most
unexpected).

Toledo Ohio -- Lots of N&W cars, no N&W rails. Brewster, Ohio on the
NKP --
plenty of N&W hoppers. Some evidence they got to the steel industry near
Chicago.

Soldier Summit in Utah: plenty of D&RGW coal gons, but cars in coal
service
from the MP, UP, WP, CBC, and B&LE appear in photos and much of the Utah
coal went to the pacific coast. On occasion there were DMIR ore jennies
in
Utah on the LA&SL (U.S. Steel moved their cars around).
Good stuff, Dave. I recall you mentioning the cars out of Asheville.

Mike

Dave & Libby Nelson <muskoka@...>

these cars would then almost always be
promptly returned to the N&W to go back to the mines).
No doubt.
Yes doubt. The ICC would occasionally have to issue service orders
requiring all roads in possession of hoppers from the VGN, N&W, and INT to
return them on release from the consignee -- no other loading allowed.
Happened to D&RGW cars once too.

Dave Nelson

Dave & Libby Nelson <muskoka@...>

I can only comment on the Eastern cars (L&N, B&O, C&O, etc.), but, in
general, the large bituminous coal carrying roads of the Eastern US used
their cars in basically captive service.

Ted Culotta writes:

I can only comment on the Eastern cars (L&N, B&O, C&O, etc.), but, in
general, the large bituminous coal carrying roads of the Eastern US used
their cars in basically captive service. If you look at any photos of
coal
drags from the B&O, C&O, L&N, N&W, VGN, they are long strings of cars only
from those roads with a VERY rare off-road hopper in the mix (for example
an
N&W hopper drag contains only N&W cars, with maybe one VGN or C&O car
mixed
in - modelers who put an N&W loco followed by hoppers from a number of
different roads are usually modeling a fictitious scene).
...Ooooh no, here we go again...Thompson and Hendrickson will be reaching
for more wine wondering if the TV might provide relief....Yes, trains would
contain mostly N&W cars, although I have noticed quite a few Clinchfield
cars coming out of Roanoke eastbound on video tapes. roads.

These cars were
either to serve on line customers or to move coal to bulk shipment points
(the N&W loaded coal onto ocean freighters at Norfolk, VA and points on
the
Great Lakes via other roads' rails -
Yes, but the largest...at least according to the Prince book...amount of
coal from the N&W went into the midwest...and, not on N&W tracks. Of 52
million tons of coal moved in '48, 22 million tons went west, 10 million
went to the Great Lakes, 10 million went through Lambert Point, and the rest
went into the South, VA, and DC areas. Of the 52 million, at least 30
million went off N&W rails.

these cars would then almost always be
promptly returned to the N&W to go back to the mines).
No doubt.

Some of these cars
would make it off line to other roads' rails, such as in the Northeast,
but
the Anthracite roads' (CNJ, RDG, Erie, D&H, LV, LNE) cars were more
commonly
seen offline in the Eastern US than their bituminous carrying cousins.
Yes, but those 32 million tons of coal traveling west and to the Great Lakes
did it on foreign tracks. The N&W might have been something of a "captive"
RR in that its coal trains consisted of...as you say...mostly N&W cars. But,
while few foreign coal carrying cars may have ventured onto N&W tracks, the
inverse is not true. N&W coal carrying cars requented foreign tracks often.

Anonymous

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Say it isn't so, Joe...er, Shawn,

You write:

I've just
assumed, judging by who owned these cars, that they
were in coal service, and therefore captive on home
rails.
Oooooh no. I spent a month proving that coal bearing hopper cars not only
went off home rails, but did so frequently. I have then paid for this
eloquent enlightenment by finding N&W hopper cars showing up unexpectedly in
strange places on my Sherman Hill layout. Even in broad daylight. Here I go
again.

But I don't really know for sure, therefore the
question. Would these cars have traveled far from home?
Stepping boldly into the abyss....I'd say it depends largely on the RR. This
is much too complex to be properly covered right now, but let me address
only one example. No, not the N&W but, rather the coal fields of Southern
Illinois. A couple of quotes from a great book, Burlington Bulletin, #35,
The Q in the Coal Fields:

Pg 104
"Under the first...interchange...the Q received loaded coal cars from
another RR, and both..."
"The Q received considerable interchange coal tonnage at certain points
along the Beardstown Div. At Forman, deep in Southern Illinois, the Q
interchanged with the NYC..."Further north, at Goreville, was the
interchange with the CE&I. Back to the north at Waltonville, the Q
interchanged with the Missouri Pacific and received coal from..."

Other major interchange occurred with the IC. Photos show both B&O and
Pennsy hoppers at the mines along with Q cars and those of IC & C&EI. Q
trains include Mopac, C&EI, IC hoppers.

Mike Brock

Richard Hendrickson

Ted Culotta, after a very good and succinct summary of hopper car traffic
patterns (also usefully supplemented by Bruce Smith) wrote:

Richard and others will have to help you with the Western cars, although
comparatively, there were few hoppers west of Chicago.
In the case of the War Emergency hoppers, the only western road that had
them was the Santa Fe (the Burlington hardly qualifies as western, from the
perspective of a native westerner, as Denver and Cody, WY are only on the
extreme eastern edge of the true west). The Santa Fe used their WE hoppers
for coal service on the eastern part of the system and also for borate
service on the Mojave desert in Calif. In neither role did they go
off-line much; all the photos I have show them on Santa Fe rails except for
one Paul Dunn shot of a Ga-62 at Zanesville, OH. The Q cars were used
mostly in Illinois coal service, as were the Illinois Central's. So the
generalization that these cars didn't stray far from home rails applies out
west as well as on the eastern coal roads.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520