Tanks et al

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Tom Madden wrote

Or resin. I'm finding this thread increasingly frustrating, because if
someone on this list has the ability to make just one really good riveted
tank, the "availability" problem for that design (at least for the members
of this list) goes away.
I agree in principle... but let's just say I have yet to see a complete
resin tank car kit that is the equal of (take your pick) Gould's, Precision
Scale's, Intermountain's, or Proto2000's, plastic kits. Maybe a resin tank
with a good injected molded underframe?

Timothy O'Connor <timoconnor@mediaone.net>
Marlborough, Massachusetts

tgmadden <tgmadden@...>

Bill W. wrote:
...we should be helping and teaching each other rather than trying to
get the attention of people who do not share our vision or passion!
Bingo!! We should also not let ourselves be trapped by the attitude "If I
can't do it perfectly, I won't do it at all". My method for building masters
is to construct a part up to the point where: 1) I've got several hours
invested; and 2) the next step risks ruining the part if something goes
wrong. At that point I'll make a zero-shrink mold and cast several resin
parts, and work with those. If I screw one up, no big deal. If anyone on
this list wants to try that procedure I'll be glad to do the interim
casting, just to get SOMETHING going! (I work with free-standing parts and
closed molds rather than flat, open-face molds. That eliminates the
thickness build-up you get from multi-generational flat casting.)

Tom

tgmadden <tgmadden@...>

Shawn Beckert wrote:
As a tank car enthusiast almost as much as Richard H.,
but without his vast knowledge, I've been following this
conversation with great interest. What I've gathered from
this is that the problem isn't so much the tank itself as
it is coming up with a suitable underframe. Even in my
ignorance it seems to me that a tank, rivets or not, should
not be a problem for the more notorious members of this
list. Fabricating an underframe might be another story. I'm
thinking that if someone (there's that word again) could
design underframe parts that could be interchangeable as far
as different lengths or even width, that might go a long way
towards creating the ability to 'bash different car designs.
To paraphrase: "If you make the frame, the tanks will follow".

I'm sensing just the opposite. There are lots of underframe parts out there,
and I don't think too many of us would blanch at the thought of hacking
together a suitable underframe - if only we had the conical-riveted tanks of
assorted sizes. It's a daunting project to shave those rivets off of IM tank
bodies and then place them precisely onto a different body, but the nice
thing about masters is it only has to be done right one time. So it takes
you 3X or 4X the time a "good enough" model does - you can have 2, or 10, or
50 for the same effort. (Better yet, _I_ can have some too, because I'll do
the casting if Al or Martin won't.)

Tom

Bill Welch <bwelch@...>

I concur with Tom. Our niche of the hobby, i.e. prototype modelers, are too whinny and uncreative. Resin has made practically everything possible and made me a much better modeler. I would have never have dreamed I could play a part in creating masters until I tried, and am now working on a second project. Most of us are probably capable of doing one thing at least. If we expect to wait for Frank H. to do it, we will have a long wait. Both Martin and Al use patterns created by modelers. My theory is if you have time to play on the Internet, you have time to apply to advancing fine scale modeling. We have great people like Tom who are willing to share their time and expertise. we should be helping and teaching each other rather than trying to get the attention of people who do not share our vision or passion!