Freight Car Designations

Charles Etheredge

Is there any one (or more) reference sources out there that I could
use to learn more about freight car classes? Example:
I am modeling the late 1940's....SP/T&NO. The SP had box cars
designated B-50-xx, GS gons as G-50-xx, covered hoppers as H-70-xx,
etc. Most other RR's had their own class designations also. In
trying to collect only those cars that would be built prior to say
1950, it is difficult to find this info. unless one is a "seasoned"
veteran of this type of knowledge. The kit manufacturers, for the
most part, aren't much help. The ORER's don't list this info. Any
info that would point me in the right direction would be
appreciated. Thanks
Charles Etheredge

Benjamin Hom <bhom3@...>

Charles Etheridge asked:

"Is there any one (or more) reference sources out there that I could
use to learn more about freight car classes?"

and

"The ORER's don't list this info."

Charles, here's a few off of the top of my head for starters:

There's one prominent exception to ORER listing of car classes - fortunately, the Pennsy listed car classes along with their number series in the ORER listings. Rob Schoenberg's site has an extensive set of PRR equipment diagrams at http://prr.railfan.net/freight/ , and Wayner reprinted a set of PRR Equipment Diagrams that you may be able to find through well-stocked book retailers if you don't have online access..

For Union Pacific frieght cars, Terry Metcalfe's Union Pacific Freight Cars 1936-1951 is the source you want.

Santa Fe boxcars are well covered by Richard Hendrickson (Furniture and Automobile Box Cars) and John Dobyne (Santa Fe Box Cars 1869-1953).

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Charles, for SP boxcars try John Nehrich's web site and Railroad Model Craftsman,
Feburary and March 1993. Prior to 1950 there are not a lot of covered hoppers, but
you can model boxcar classes B-50-1/2/6/9/12/13/14/15/16/18/19//20/21/22/23/24/25/
26/27 using commercially available HO scale kits. Also A-50-5/6/14. Kitbashes can
yield even more.

Also try http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/spcars/

The SPH&TS sells a complete Pacific Lines roster for 1956 which contains revenue,
MofW and passenger equipment information. Many people here or on FCL have a
lot of knowledge of SP freight cars. There are Yahoo groups for espee and TNO too.

Dave & Libby Nelson <muskoka@...>

Is there any one (or more) reference sources out there that I could
use to learn more about freight car classes? Example:
I am modeling the late 1940's....SP/T&NO. The SP had box cars
designated B-50-xx, GS gons as G-50-xx, covered hoppers as H-70-xx,
etc. Most other RR's had their own class designations also.
I have been under the impression that most other RR's did not, but I can't
say I've ever seen a comprehensive list. Perhaps with the expertise here,
such a list can be made. Starting with the above....

PRR
SP
TNO
ATSF
UP

I can add:
CBQ
NW
BO
ACL
CCO/CCR

as the only ones that come to my mind. I know there are a few eastern roads
too....

Others anyone?

Dave Nelson

bhom3@...

Dave Nelson wrote:

I have been under the impression that most other RR's did not, but I
can't say I've ever seen a comprehensive list. Perhaps with the
expertise here, such a list can be made. <<SNIP>>

One of the last useful pieces of information I got off FCL was
an "Freight Car Class Finder" MS Excel database compiled by Dave
Soderblom (drs@stsci.edu) inculding cars from ATSF/SFRD, B&O,
CB&Q/FW&D/C&S, NYC System, PFE, PRR, SP/T&NO, and UP.

Dave's not a member of STMFC yet - how about another invite, Mike?
I'd add the database to the files, except for the fact that it would
probably be highly unethcial on my part. I'd prefer that he make the
decision to share his work here...

Ben Hom

Richard Hendrickson

Dave Nelson wrote, regarding rrs that assigned car class symbols,

I have been under the impression that most other RR's did not, but I can't
say I've ever seen a comprehensive list. Perhaps with the expertise here,
such a list can be made. Starting with the above....

PRR
SP
TNO
ATSF
UP

I can add:
CBQ
NW
BO
ACL
CCO/CCR

as the only ones that come to my mind. I know there are a few eastern roads
too....

Others anyone?
Add: NC&StL, CNJ (briefly, after WW II), C&O (prior to the early 1930s),
NS (the original Norfolk Southern, of course, not the present-day
impostor), RDG, SAL, VGN, and PFE. And don't forget the New York Central
System (NYC and subsidiaries, P&LE, IHB) lot numbers, which served a
similar function.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Tim Gilbert <timgilbert17851@...>

--- Dave Nelson wrote:

I have been under the impression that most other
RR's did not, but I can't
say I've ever seen a comprehensive list. Perhaps
with the expertise here,
such a list can be made. Starting with the
above....

PRR
SP
TNO
ATSF
UP

I can add:
CBQ
NW
BO
ACL
CCO/CCR

as the only ones that come to my mind. I know there
are a few eastern roads
too....

Others anyone?
The NYC classified their freight cars by Lot Numbers,
the progression being basically chronological with
various car types interspersed throughout. I once
tried to put together a 1926-1968 NYC Roster tying in
the Lots #'s, Class Card Diagrams and ORER's, but gave
up. Jeff English thought I was crazy in attempting
this.

The B&M also had a Lot system which, thank God, no one
used and everybody forgot.

Sorry, I cannot be of more help.

Tim Gilbert

Tim Gilbert
Dave Nelson

http://im.yahoo.com

Jeff English

Tim Gilbert <timgilbert17851@yahoo.com> wrote:

I once
tried to put together a 1926-1968 NYC Roster tying in
the Lots #'s, Class Card Diagrams and ORER's, but gave
up. Jeff English thought I was crazy in attempting
this.
Indeed, I've been trying for the last 3 years to do it just for box
cars. There are still lots of mysteries I have yet to unravel. If only I
could get access to whatever car accounting records may still be
in the hands of the NYCSHS. I think it would be easier to break
into Ft Knox.

Jeff English Troy, New York
Proto:64 Classic Era Railroad Modeling
englij@rpi.edu

| R U T L A N D R A I L R O A D |
Route of the Whippet

Jeff Aley - GCD PE <jaley@...>

On Sep 7, 9:36pm, ceth512@earthlink.net wrote:
Is there any one (or more) reference sources out there that I could
use to learn more about freight car classes?
Charles,

For some roads (well, UP at least), the car class and road numbers
are listed on the Freight Car Diagrams. [Perhaps others can confirm that
diagrams for other roads include this info].

Copies of diagrams are available from someone on the East coast; I
*think* his name is Allen Stanley. A search of the archives for this list
or for FCL [ http://sunny16.photo.tntech.edu/~richard/Freightcars/ ]should
reveal his address.

Regards,

-Jeff