Rutland stock cars

almabranch <harper-brown@...>

The recent issue of the SFRH&MS Warbonnet has an article on modeling
Santa Fe stock cars. The article states that the F&C four panel side
Rutland stock car is a good representation of the SF Sk-G class. It
seems that I remember that these kits are available from the
Rensaeler club store. Am I correct on this? If I am correct what is
the URL for the Rensaeler website?

Thanks.

Jared Harper

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Jared,
A photo of the Rutland car is at
http://www.union.rpi.edu/railroad/images/rolling-stock/Rutland/Rut-stock-car
.jpg

I think a more correct term would be sorta close!

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Tom Gloger

--- almabranch <harper-brown@juno.com> wrote:
It seems that I remember that these kits are available from the
Rensaeler club store. Am I correct on this? If I am correct
what is the URL for the Rensaeler website?
If you meant http://www.union.rpi.edu/railroad/shop_prods1.html
then I'd say no, you're not.

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

Alan C. Welch <acwelch@...>

I think these kits are available directly from F&C, I know I have one somewhere.

Al

At 07:22 AM 13/12/2001 -0800, you wrote:
--- almabranch <harper-brown@juno.com> wrote:
It seems that I remember that these kits are available from the
Rensaeler club store. Am I correct on this? If I am correct
what is the URL for the Rensaeler website?
If you meant http://www.union.rpi.edu/railroad/shop_prods1.html
then I'd say no, you're not.

Dave & Libby Nelson <muskoka@...>

Yes, a meer ten or twelve years after they were due.

Dave Nelson

I think these kits are available directly from F&C, I know I have one
somewhere.

Al

At 07:22 AM 13/12/2001 -0800, you wrote:
--- almabranch <harper-brown@juno.com> wrote:
It seems that I remember that these kits are available from the
Rensaeler club store. Am I correct on this? If I am correct
what is the URL for the Rensaeler website?
If you meant http://www.union.rpi.edu/railroad/shop_prods1.html
then I'd say no, you're not.

mbcarson2002

Gentlemen,

Within the last couple of years, the Rutland Car
Shops (P.O. Box 64947 Burlington VT 05406) offered a resin
kit for a 36' Single Deck Rutland Stock Car. I understand
they jobbed the casting of the kits out to someone. Also I
understand that RCS has recently decided to suspend
operations, as the proprietors wanted more time to model.

One might be able to find some of these kits available
through the hobby shop specializing in New England roads.
C&J Hobbies in Vergennes or Caboose Corner in Bellow Falls,
both in Vermont, might be a places to start. The contact
details for C&J are in the dealer listings in RMC.

Regards,

MBC

: I think these kits are available directly from F&C, I know
I have one
: somewhere.
:
: Al
:
: At 07:22 AM 13/12/2001 -0800, you wrote:
: >--- almabranch <harper-brown@juno.com> wrote:
: > > It seems that I remember that these kits are available
from the
: > > Rensaeler club store. Am I correct on this? If I am
correct
: > > what is the URL for the Rensaeler website?
: >
: >If you meant
http://www.union.rpi.edu/railroad/shop_prods1.html
: >then I'd say no, you're not.
: >
: >__________________________________________________
: >Do You Yahoo!?
: >Check out Yahoo! Shopping and Yahoo! Auctions for all of
: >your unique holiday gifts! Buy at
http://shopping.yahoo.com
: >or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
: >
: >
: >To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
: >
: >
: >
: >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
:
:
:
: ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
Sponsor ---------------------~-->
: Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
: Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
: Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
: http://us.click.yahoo.com/75YKVC/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/9MtolB/TM
: ----------------------------------------------------------
:
:

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Dear friends,

IIRC, these Rutland stock car kits are being handled by the Rutland Technical & Historical Society
(Sic?). I saw some for sale at Caboose Corner near Bellows Falls, Vermont, last summer.

I have a sneaky feeling these kits are actually made by F&C.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Gentlemen:

Over the past decade, Funaro served as a "contractor" for historical
societies and small manufacturers for patterns and exclusive kits.
Examples include hopper kits for the Anthracite Railroad Historical
Society; the USRA DS boxcar rebuilds offered by Sunshine a decade
ago; the Yankee Clipper line which included the B&M XM-1 Pratt Truss
SS boxcars, and our line at Rensselaer. The following is quoted from
John Nehrich from the RPI website at
http://www.union.rpi.edu/railroad/images/rolling-stock/Kits/Misc-
kits.html#F&C :

"We originally worked very closely with F&C, as it seemed they had
kits that had potential and centered around a lot of local roads.
Through the '90's, I personally sent them tons of information and
tried my best to promote their kits (in our shop catalogs and in
articles in the model railroad press). In the process I sort of wound
up as a lightning rod for complaints about the shoddy instructions in
the kits, their extremely crude first kits, and the lack of follow
through when parts or decals were missing, etc. We developed a line
of kits (reaching 32 kits in all) that were supposed to be exclusive
to the Rensselaer Railroad Shop, since we paid for the initial run.
Instead, we found that while we had sizeable deposits tied up
with F&C for three years or more and were anxiously waiting for them,
F&C was producing kits for others, often using information I had sent
them. Then F&C started producing our kits under their name, claiming
that we hadn't reordered them in a timely manner (since we were
waiting for the kits already partially paid for, we weren't about to
send them MORE money). These kits even include NEB&W decals, which we
never gave them permission to use for themselves. And I can give you
a list of other companies that have had similar bad experiences in
trying to work with them.
Therefore, I feel burned by the treatment they gave us, and feel
I've done enough to promote them in the past."

You can find some of the other "exclusive kits" that I mentioned
above currently being marketed under the F&C name. When you add it
all up at the end of the day, it was good to have kits for a lot of
prototypes that might not have had them otherwise, but that doesn't
quite balance out our less than satisfactory experience with him at
RPI.

The moral of this story? Never underestimate a manufacturer's
ability to shoot himself in the head; or, there's no law against
being an inept businessman.

By the way, the Rutland stock car kit in the Funaro line is the one
previously offered in the Rensselaer Railroad Shop line. The one
recently available through Rutland Car Shops had masters done by
Sylvan Scale Models and is a different prototype. Their website is
at http://www.ultranet.com/~jimdu4/carshops.htm .

Ben Hom

Petschallies, Thorsten <Thorsten.Petschallies@...>

Rutland Car Shops suspended active operation, but not all operation.
As I unterstand they still sell what they have in stock and add new items
from time to time.
Recently they offered a new part.
A Reverse Creco door as used on B&M's/MTC's twentyfive ARA 1924 Allsteel
Boxcars.

Mike Sparks, one of the operators of RCS, can be reached via
MKSPARKS2@aol.com

IIRC the castings was done by F&C, though other kits they offer were done by
Sylvan.
Recently F&C started to offer some of ex RCS kits, though I don't know if
the Stock Cars are among them.
Hope this helps

Sincerely
Thorsten Petschallies

John Nehrich <nehrij@...>

The Rutland stock car was a kit that we originally sent a deposit (of a
third down for 150 kits) to F&C. That along with other kits was to be
produced within the year - three new kits being what he said he could
produce and would justify the cost of sending out a mailing.
His normal operation, when pressed on the progress, was either to come
up with some bit of information he needed in order to proceed, OR, if and
when you found the information, he would tell you (not ask ahead of time)
that he was starting over with the masters. It was sort of like the tar
baby were you find each time you try to pull loose, you only get deeper
enmeshed - we had a lot of money tied up with him and didn't want to piss
him off, as we saw the mean and underhanded things he did to Martin Lofton
when Lofton gave up dealing with them. The final straw was when he sent out
notices promoting our older kits under his name (thus undercutting our
exclusive rights to them and meaning hobbyists could get them through
Walthers or the Walthers dealership network).
Anyway, we did cancel the Rutland stock car project and did get our
deposit back, which was a big surprise. I'm not really sure who did the
masters and castings for the Rutland Car Shops. The first kits, in general,
were from F&C, and later, they too gave up and in this case went to Sylvan.
And Rutland Car Shops has gotten out of the business in order to get back to
their hobby.

What surprises me is to see the same F&C kits being touted as "new"
again and again in the hobby press. Don't the editors ever look to see what
they published 6 months ago in their "new" column? - John

[...]

Richard Dermody <ddermody@...>

John Greene of Bethlehem Car Works has taken over the marketing of the Rutland Cars
Shops products and their line is available through him.

www.bethlehemcarworks.com

Dick

Michael Carson wrote:

Gentlemen,

Within the last couple of years, the Rutland Car
Shops (P.O. Box 64947 Burlington VT 05406) offered a resin
kit for a 36' Single Deck Rutland Stock Car. I understand
they jobbed the casting of the kits out to someone. Also I
understand that RCS has recently decided to suspend
operations, as the proprietors wanted more time to model.

One might be able to find some of these kits available
through the hobby shop specializing in New England roads.
C&J Hobbies in Vergennes or Caboose Corner in Bellow Falls,
both in Vermont, might be a places to start. The contact
details for C&J are in the dealer listings in RMC.

Jeff English

"Garth G. Groff" <ggg9y@virginia.edu> wrote:

IIRC, these Rutland stock car kits are being handled by the Rutland
Technical & Historical Society (Sic?). I saw some for sale at Caboose
Corner near Bellows Falls, Vermont, last summer.
The correct name of the society is the Rutland Railroad
Historical Society, and this organization has never officially
sponsored any model projects. The people who operate(d) Rutland
Car Shops are active members, as is the proprietor of Steam
Shack.

I have a sneaky feeling these kits are actually made by F&C.
Just about all of such kits are actually made by F&C, except
Rutland Car Shops went to Sylvan later on.

Jeff English Troy, New York
Proto:64 Classic Era Railroad Modeling
englij@rpi.edu

| R U T L A N D R A I L R O A D |
Route of the Whippet

almabranch <harper-brown@...>

--- In STMFC@y..., "Alan C. Welch" <acwelch@i...> wrote:
I think these kits are available directly from F&C, I know I have
one
somewhere.

Al
If the Rutland stock cars are only available from F&C I'll forget
it. Ever since I ordered some kits from F&C it took six months to
get delivery I said never again. What really hacked me off was that
after awhile when I didn't receive my kits I sent them a letter with
an SSAE and got no reply. I did that three times with no reply. If
I could get them from another source I might order one.

Jared Harper

schroed_22 <schroeder.bears@...>

--- In STMFC@y..., "almabranch" <harper-brown@j...> wrote:

I could get them from another source I might order one.

Jared Harper

FWIW,

F&C is available from Walthers...even the special order time was
acceptable when I did that the last time

Bernd

ian clasper <ianclasper@...>

I have purchased F&C kits by two methods, one, direct from them at one of
the prototype meets, where they sell the kits at a heavy discount, or two ,
via Walthers.

My experience of their kits is an another story.
One box car, I had to cut the underframe into three parts so that the
bolsters would fit into the correct position, the u/f was about a 1/4" too
short.
A Pennsy H30 kit scaled out to about 1/93rd scale in length, working out to
be about 1ft short.
I have built several of their gondolas, It was easier to make a new floor
from styrene than to try and make the kit part fit.
Their decals are very poor.

I have not built any of their recent kits, so I do not know if they have
made any improvements.
However I do not like their business ethics, so I will no longer buy there
goods

Ian Clasper

I think these kits are available directly from F&C, I know I have
one
somewhere.

Al
If the Rutland stock cars are only available from F&C I'll forget
it. Ever since I ordered some kits from F&C it took six months to
get delivery I said never again. What really hacked me off was that
after awhile when I didn't receive my kits I sent them a letter with
an SSAE and got no reply. I did that three times with no reply. If
I could get them from another source I might order one.

Jared Harper

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Jared,

Try Caboose Corner in Bellows Falls, Vermont. There were some of these kits there last August. They have
one of those small ads in the back of MR. I believe the owner will take phone orders.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff