Other freight car modeling inspirations

scott459 <scott459@...>

Perhaps my first exposure to "the world of freight cars" was, (drumroll please...) "The Big Book of Real Trains."
It had cutaway views and explanations of how steam and diesel locomotives work, and diagrams showing what train crew members do. Then there were at least a dozen large illustrations (color paintings or pencil sketches) of various freight car types. Off hand I remember a yellow Shell tank car (yes, I know plain schemes were much more common) and an NKP gon being loaded with pipe.
I still have the book and I've always intended to look up the car numbers in the ORER as a starting point for modeling at least one of the cars-- as it really was, not relying on the book.
Anyone else already gone this route?

Scott Pitzer

Ted Culotta <ted_culotta@...>

Same book, same experience! I just bought copy on
ebay a few years ago to relive it.

Ted Culotta

--- scott459 <scott459@msn.com> wrote:
Perhaps my first exposure to "the world of freight
cars" was, (drumroll please...) "The Big Book of
Real Trains."
It had cutaway views and explanations of how steam
and diesel locomotives work, and diagrams showing
what train crew members do. Then there were at
least a dozen large illustrations (color paintings
or pencil sketches) of various freight car types.
Off hand I remember a yellow Shell tank car (yes, I
know plain schemes were much more common) and an NKP
gon being loaded with pipe.
I still have the book and I've always intended to
look up the car numbers in the ORER as a starting
point for modeling at least one of the cars-- as it
really was, not relying on the book.
Anyone else already gone this route?

Scott Pitzer

removed]

http://auctions.yahoo.com

thompson@...

Off hand I remember a yellow Shell tank car...
Doesn't our guru Hendrickson state that there was no such paint scheme?

mbcarson2002

But then again children's books aren't noted as
reliable prototype reference material. First the interest,
then later (in certain cases, infinitely later) the
discipline of prototype fidelity.

Mike Carson