Shell Tank Cars

Ned Carey <westernmd@...>

(Shell of Calif. did put Shell logos above
the reporting marks on some cars in the 1950s, as correctly represented by
Life-Like's 8K gal. AC&F Type 21 models.)
The 50s! Oh poop another car into the trash can.

Ned

Richard Hendrickson

Off hand I remember a yellow Shell tank car...
Doesn't our guru Hendrickson state that there was no such paint scheme?
I've never said that. There is documentary evidence that some cars were
delivered in the 1920s to SEPX (Shell Eastern Products) and RPX (Roxana
Petroleum) with yellow tanks and red billboard lettering. What I HAVE said
is that those paint schemes didn't last long, the photographic evidence
showing that all of the Shell affiliates went to a more practical black
with white stenciling in the 1930s, and that numerous models with yellow
tanks and red lettering purporting to represent cars in service in the
1940s and later are all bogus. (Shell of Calif. did put Shell logos above
the reporting marks on some cars in the 1950s, as correctly represented by
Life-Like's 8K gal. AC&F Type 21 models.)

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

thompson@...

Richard replies:
I've never said that...What I HAVE said
is that numerous models with yellow
tanks and red lettering purporting to represent cars in service in the
1940s and later are all bogus.
Thanks for clearing this up.

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

I got a couple of those (P2K) also, anyone for a trade--50's tanks for 30's
tanks.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Charles Morrill <badlands@...>

Did the aluminum paint with black lettering schemes on Shell tank cars as
pictured in the RP Cyc last through the '40s?
Charlie

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D. <smithbf@...>

(Shell of Calif. did put Shell logos above
the reporting marks on some cars in the 1950s, as correctly represented by
Life-Like's 8K gal. AC&F Type 21 models.)
The 50s! Oh poop another car into the trash can.

Ned
Not so fast Ned, I think the car is OK if you remove the logo (please
correct me if I'm wrong!), and it isn't that hard to do! (and then you have
different car from the "masses" <G>). First try solvaset (or other decal
solution) with a pencil eraser, and move on to grit blasting if that
doesn't work.

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

I don't think so! This is a note I have with the cars that Richard posted.

sic--worse news. The SCCX cars modeled by LL were originally built by AC&F
for Shell's midwestern subsidiary, the Roxana Petroleum Corp., and carried
RPX reporting marks until about '42-'43, when 150 of them were transferrend
to Shell of CA. So to model those cars ca. '41 you need to completely
re-letter them and no decals are currently available.

Richard really does need to get the tank car book done<VBG>.

Jon Miller writes (quoting me):

The SCCX cars modeled by LL were originally built by AC&F
for Shell's midwestern subsidiary, the Roxana Petroleum Corp., and carried
RPX reporting marks until about '42-'43, when 150 of them were transferrend
to Shell of CA. So to model those cars ca. '41 you need to completely
re-letter them and no decals are currently available.
All true, Jon. But L-L plans to issue a model later this year with the WW
II era RPX lettering.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Richard Hendrickson

(Shell of Calif. did put Shell logos above
the reporting marks on some cars in the 1950s, as correctly represented by
Life-Like's 8K gal. AC&F Type 21 models.)
The 50s! Oh poop another car into the trash can.

Ned
Not so fast Ned, I think the car is OK if you remove the logo (please
correct me if I'm wrong!), and it isn't that hard to do! (and then you have
different car from the "masses" <G>). First try solvaset (or other decal
solution) with a pencil eraser, and move on to grit blasting if that
doesn't work.
Actually, I was overgeneralizing a bit. SCCX cars began to get the Shell
logos after WW II, so there were at least a few of them around as early as
1947. For Ned's purposes, however, Maryland would have been very far
afield for SCCX cars after the WW II oil transportation crisis had
subsided; the SCCX fleet was based at Watson (Los Angeles Harbor) and
Martinez (San Francisco Bay area) in California and used almost entirely to
transport refinery products to west coast wholesalers.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Richard Hendrickson

Charlie Morrill asks:

Did the aluminum paint with black lettering schemes on Shell tank cars as
pictured in the RP Cyc last through the '40s?
AFAIK, no Shell Petroleum cars (Eastern Shell SEPX, Roxana RPX, or Shell of
Calif. SCCX) were ever painted aluminum. Many Shell Chemical cars (SCMX)
were painted aluminum with black lettering, however, and that practice
continued in the 1950s and '60s.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520