Replacing Leaf Springs

BillD53A@...

I dont know of anyone who makes leaf springs anymore. BC Models makes arch
bar trucks with leaf springs; I believe these are cast metal. Tichy Train
Group makes plastic bettendorf trucks; one type has one leaf/onecoil spring
per side; another type has two leaf springs per side. Bill

BillD53A@...

I'm Bill Donahue, have to startsigning my name to my posts...sorry for any
confusion. Bill Donahue

Justin Kahn <jacekahn@...>

Although I have been out of HO for nearly twenty-five years, I would guess the "Walthers" leaf springs were part of the Silver Streak line from when Walthers bought it. They always worked well and looked convincing (at least in that simpler time). I would not be surprised if PSC didn't have some, too.
I am a bit puzzled by Norm's saying that EACH side of EACH truck required two leaf springs, as I don't recall ever seeing any like that, not even in O scale.
Jace Kahn

Back in pre-history, Walthers had replacement leaf
springs. However they have not be offered for a decade or
so. I understand Precision Scale has replacement leaf
springs as part of their product line.
Mike Carson
: Going through my hell-box I came across a pair of tender
trucks which had
: been put out to pasture because a leaf-spring broke and
another is on
: permanent vacation in a dense pile carpet.
:
: I can (and have) replaced coil springs for
freight/passenger car trucks,
: but where can I get or how can I make replacement leaf
springs that at
: least look plausible. >: uniformity. FWIW, each truck uses 4 leaf springs, two on
each side, that
: are about .060"/1.5mm wide and it looks like it would be a
small major
: project to convert them to coil springs.
:
: Norm
:

Richard Hendrickson

Bill Daniels writes:

I dont know of anyone who makes leaf springs anymore. BC Models makes arch
bar trucks with leaf springs; I believe these are cast metal. Tichy Train
Group makes plastic bettendorf trucks; one type has one leaf/onecoil spring
per side; another type has two leaf springs per side. Bill
Several Eastern Car Works freight car trucks (e.g. Birdsboro Andrews) have
separate spring inserts which are coils on one side, leaf springs on the
other, and their Barber Bettendorf caboose trucks have inserts which are
leaf springs on both sides. These inserts are molded styrene so they can
easily be trimmed/shimmed to fit the spring openings in other mfrs.'
trucks. Precision Scale catalogs brass leaf springs, similar to the old
Silver Streak springs but presumably somewhat smaller, as they are intended
for use in D&RGW narrow gauge caboose trucks. They're item # HO-31968, 12
per package, $1.75 (according to my now somewhat outdated catalog).

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

thompson@...

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Precision Scale catalogs brass leaf springs, similar to the old
Silver Streak springs but presumably somewhat smaller, as they are intended
for use in D&RGW narrow gauge caboose trucks.
Richard, I always thought it was the track gauge that was narrow, not the
bolster.

billd@...

That's all right, Bill.
I know who you are... or at least I know who you aren't. Seems that some of the listmeisters are mixed up. Sheesh!

Bill Daniels (the real one!)
Tucson, AZ

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:01:39 EST
BillD53A@... wrote:
I'm Bill Donahue, have to startsigning my name to my posts...sorry for any confusion. Bill Donahue

billd@...

No, Tony...the bolster on the D&RGW's 3 foot gauge truck is narrower than on standard (fat?) gauge trucks, and the bolster on the carbody is also narrower. The only exception that I know of was on the UTLX frameless (Van Dyke) tank cars, which were converted to narrow gauge (most of these were the famous "GRAMPS" tanks). When converted to narrow gauge, the side bearings were relocated on the body bolster, instead of cutting the bolster down.

Bill Daniels
Tucson, AZ

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:42:02 -0800
thompson@... wrote:
Richard, I always thought it was the track gauge that was narrow, not the
bolster.

billd@...

You are probably right...for 1903, Tony. I understand that these cars were built to standard gauge specs of the day(except that they were a little narrower)... goes to show you how much standard gauge cars have changed. After a trip to Chama some years ago, on my way back home (via I-25 to I-10) I passed some autoracks that SP had dumped down around Deming...after having been around the narrow gauge stuff for a couple of days the standard gauge cars looked like beached whales!

Bill Daniels
Tucson, AZ

thompson@...

No, Tony...the bolster on the D&RGW's 3 foot gauge truck
is narrower than on standard (fat?) gauge trucks...
Yes, but if you believe the 1903 Cyc, the difference is small. Whether it
would affect leaf spring width, I don't know.