IM and RC kits

centga@...

I think that this is an excellent reference source for all modelers. I wish
this type of info was available for all mfgs. Todd Horton

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

I was a report on the Timonium train show which prompts a question. A
comment was made that there were lots of IM and RC kits (early and
transition) at good prices. The question, is there a list anywhere of
which of these kits have accurate paint and which do not? A list of the
model numbers would probably be most useful. I very few times I have gone
hunting for certain of these kits the shops are usually out (of the ones I
want)!
The comment was made these don't sell because they are not modern.
Could the real answer be that we don't all carry cheat sheets and therefore
don't know which are good and which are not.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Jon Miller wrote

The question, is there a list anywhere of which of these [Red
Caboose] kits have accurate paint and which do not?

Jon, here is my incomplete list for one group of Red Caboose kits.
Additions and/or corrections are welcome.

Red Caboose 1937 AAR single door box car models

Ok == accurate model as far as I know
? == accuracy not yet determined
* == not an accurate model of prototype

8003 Ok C&O 4935 original VIKING ROOF cars
8004 ? ACL 200xx class O-25 w/ later Gothic letters
8005 * CB&Q/subs
8006 Ok IHB
8007 * C&NW/subs
8008 Ok CN tilted green leaf herald
8009 Ok CP Spans The World herald
8010-1a Ok DL&W 51423 1944 Phoebe Snow
8011-4 Ok MONON/CIL 9142 1941 original
8012-1 Ok FEC 21004 Speedway 1941 scheme
8013 * D&RGW
8014 * RI
8015 Ok NKP 17400 series built 1944 W-corner
8016 * D&H 1950's repaint 1932 ARA's w/ 4/5 ends 9ft4in
8017 ? ATSF Bx27 Chief
8018 ? ATSF Bx27 Texas Chief
8019 ? ATSF Bx27 San Francisco Chief
8020 Ok L&N Dixie Line 1953
8020-4 Ok L&N 91177 1953 repaint Dixie Line
8021-3 Ok LV 61369 1954 repaint
8022 ? MEC Pine Green repaint
8023-d Ok B&M 73035 1951 repaint Minuteman
8024 Ok M&StL boxcar red
8025 Ok M&StL red billboard
8026-1 Ok NYC boxcar red
8026-2 Ok P&LE boxcar red
8026-2b Ok P&LE 30399 682-B 1940 original
8026-3d Ok P&LE 30407 682-B 1962 jade green
8027 Ok SLSF repaint Frisco Fast Freight S-corner
8028 Ok NYNH&H script
8029-1 Ok NP 36" herald original
8029-2c Ok NP 16734 1950 scheme w/ 60" herald
8029-3 Ok NP 60" herald NP Railway herald
8030-x ? ATSF Bx27 El Capitan/Scout/Super/Canyon
8031 * IC Mainline of Mid America
8032 Ok SAL Courteous Service
8033 ? SAL Silver Star
8034 ? SAL Silver Meteor
8033-4 ? SAL 19619 1954 Silver Star repaint
8035 Ok SOU (either S or W corner)
8036 * SP Overnight black
8037 * SP Overnight silver
8038-1a Ok SP 96220 B-50-23 1947 scheme
8038-2 Ok SP B-50-19 S corner original
8038-3 Ok T&NO 54637 1952 scheme SPH&TS
8039 Ok T&P (if S-corner)
8040-1 ? UP white & yellow
8040-2 ? OWR&N white & yellow
8040-3 ? OSL white & yellow
8041-1b * UP 184230 B-50-21 1951 repaint (wrong class)
8041-2b Ok OWR&N 189055 B-50-27 1951 repaint
8041-2g Ok OWR&N 189152 B-50-27 original
8041-3b Ok OSL 189771 B-50-27 1951 repaint
8042-1 Ok VGN 63006 1941 original
8043 * WP prototype cars were 9-6 IH
8044 ? UP trademark car
8045 ? PGE moosehead herald
8046 ? NS original should have a VIKING roof
8047-3 ? ITC 6052 1937 original S-corners
8048 Ok LS&I
8049-5 Ok GM&O 8698 Rebel Route 1945 scheme
8050 * SP green express box
8051-1 Ok T&NO 54101 1947 scheme
8052-5 Ok C&O 11632 For Progress 1949
8053 Ok P&LE plain all white lettering
8054 Ok NYC plain all white lettering
8055-4 Ok P&LE 30535 682-B 1955 Steel Centers
8056 * SP&S oval herald
8057 ? MKT
8058 ? MEC early rectangle herald
8059-4 Ok W&LE 23275 1940 original 7p SUP doors
8060 Ok ATSF MofW silver
8061 * CGW round herald (prototype had unique ends)
8062 Ok T&NO
8063-4 * CRR 5472 1962 reweigh (1932 ARA prototype)
8066-3 Ok D&M 2891 1950 repaint
8067-a Ok WAB 86009 --WRONG NUMBER-- late scheme (second hand)
8068 Ok NH NYNH&H orange car (1955 prototype)
8069 Ok DL&W Phoebe Snow, billboard Lackawanna
8070 Ok NH NYNH&H black w/ orange doors
8072-3 Ok OSL 189631 B-50-27 1956 repaint Be Specific
9532-1 Ok L&N 10083 1964 billboard repaint Cumberland Div SER-NMRA

A list of the
model numbers would probably be most useful. I very few times I have gone
hunting for certain of these kits the shops are usually out (of the ones I
want)!
The comment was made these don't sell because they are not modern.
Could the real answer be that we don't all carry cheat sheets and therefore
don't know which are good and which are not.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Timothy O'Connor <timoconnor@mediaone.net>
Sterling, Massachusetts

CBarkan@...

Admittedly the RPI site is better than flying blind, but numerous errors
exist there too. Bottom line is you gotta do the research if you want to be
sure you got it right.

In a message dated 1/27/2 5:15:53 PM, b.hom@worldnet.att.net wrote:

Todd Horton wrote:

I think that this is an excellent reference source for all modelers. I wish
this type of info was available for all mfgs.

<<Todd, it has been for about the past seven years in the form of John
Nehrich's NEB&W Guides to Steam Era Freight Cars, now in four volumes and
available from Ron's Books:>>

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Excellent list, it's in my pocket already. In fact these would be good
lists to put in the files section of the STMFC group for everybody to
reference.

How about the RC x29? RC puts out 8-1/2" x 11" sheets of all their cars
as I have seen them at a dealer. Are these available to dealers only and
does anyone know anything about them. They were all loose leaf and did not
appear to be a catalog.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

centga@...

In a message dated 1/27/2002 5:45:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
timoconnor@mediaone.net writes:

Instead of wishing,
become an active contributor and/or researcher... or just ask the
questions that lead to the uncovering of new information. Every
little bit helps.

Tim, I have been to John's excellent site. It has a lot of good information.
I hear rumors that it will be gone to the GP soon. The problem I run into is
that when a mfg. comes out with kit I never know if the paint scheme for
"foreign road" cars is correct or not unless it's a Kadee. But even Kadee can
make mistakes. They produced the C of GA cars with the "Streamlined Money
Saver" paint scheme. They are the only company ever to get this lettering
correct! The only mistake was that the roof color was wrong but an easy fix.
I sent them info so that future cars should be right. We need a website
dedicated to models and paint schemes that would give you notes about models
produced and time eras a certain paint scheme were used. I know what roof
color a C of GA 50' PS-1 should be but don't have a clue on which door type
to use on my Branchline 50' AAR NYC cars. A boxcar, as you know, may have
worn many different lettering styles during it's lifetime. Branchline has
been good about providing this information on the box. No one person can be
an expert on every road. It would take lots of time and money to do the
research for off line cars. I'll be glad to help with any Central of Georgia
information if anyone needs it. Todd Horton

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

At 03:41 PM 1/27/02 -0500, you wrote:
I think that this is an excellent reference source for all modelers. I
wish this type of info was available for all mfgs. Todd Horton
Todd,

Actually, John Nehrich has been working for years to provide
this type of information on the RPI web site. My list is based
on information from freight car emails since 1995 plus magazines
and books going back much further than that. Instead of wishing,

Benjamin Frank Hom <b.hom@...>

Todd Horton wrote:

I think that this is an excellent reference source for all modelers. I wish
this type of info was available for all mfgs.

Todd, it has been for about the past seven years in the form of John
Nehrich's NEB&W Guides to Steam Era Freight Cars, now in four volumes and
available from Ron's Books:

http://www.ronsbooks.com

Much of the information is also posted at:

http://www.union.rpi.edu/railroad/

However, this section of the website will soon become a pay area because the
book sales are a large part of the club's income, and the website has
seriously cut into book sales.

As Tim O'Connor remarked, everyone is welcome to help, either with credible,
researched information, or just by asking the question that gets the ball
rolling.

Ben Hom

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Would files be a good place to put this kind of data. Just a thought.

James D Thompson <jaydeet@...>

Red Caboose 1937 AAR single door box car models

Ok == accurate model as far as I know
? == accuracy not yet determined
* == not an accurate model of prototype

8003 Ok C&O 4935 original VIKING ROOF cars
If this one is 'OK' with the caveat about the roof,

8046 ? NS original should have a VIKING roof
then this one should also be 'OK'.

David Thompson

Bruce F Smith <smithbf@...>

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Jon Miller wrote:
The comment was made these don't sell because they are not modern.
Could the real answer be that we don't all carry cheat sheets and therefore
don't know which are good and which are not.
At the risk of strying off topic, I don't think that the reason they don't
sell is that they are not "modern". The test there would be to compare
the RTR to kitys, adn at least here in the SE USA, the RTR stuff seems to
sell pretty well. Apparently one of the biggest problems is something
that I have heard termed "westerfear" with respect to resin kits...the
fear that its too complicated. My local hobby shop has almost completely
stopped stocking P2K kits since I seem to be the only one buying them!
I've been trying to take a page from the local quilt shop (strategically
across the street from the train shop) and suggested to the owner that he
hold classes on how to build these kits...I'm teaching a clinic in this at
our regional mmmumble-nmra-mmmmumble meeting this year. Of course, one
problem RC has is that a great number of their schemes are bogus, so I
follow these simple guidelines if I don't have my notes handy:

1) If its RC don't buy it unless you KNOW (ie I KNOW an X29 is OK)
2) If its IM or P2K and it has good new or reweigh stencils, go ahead and
buy...I can always strip and repaint into something else if it turns out
to be too bogus (I can do that with RC, but then...I might as well just
buy RC as undecs and save half the work <G>!)

Happy Rails
Bruce

Denis F. Blake <dblake3@...>

Tim

The acl car is correct as well are the three SAL ones that you were not sure
about.

Denis F. Blake
Columbus, Ohio
TTHOTS

Visit my photosite at

http://hyperphoto.photoloft.com/view/allalbums.asp?s=cano&u=1665499

> [...]

8066-3 Ok D&M 2891 1950 repaint
8067-a Ok WAB 86009 --WRONG NUMBER-- late scheme (second hand)
8068 Ok NH NYNH&H orange car (1955 prototype)
8069 Ok DL&W Phoebe Snow, billboard Lackawanna
8070 Ok NH NYNH&H black w/ orange doors
8072-3 Ok OSL 189631 B-50-27 1956 repaint Be Specific
9532-1 Ok L&N 10083 1964 billboard repaint Cumberland Div
SER-NMRA

A list of the
model numbers would probably be most useful. I very few times I have
gone
hunting for certain of these kits the shops are usually out (of the ones
want)!
The comment was made these don't sell because they are not modern.
Could the real answer be that we don't all carry cheat sheets and
therefore
don't know which are good and which are not.

David, I only marked the NS with a "?" because I wasn't
sure about the lettering. But I will change it to 'OK' as
the car type and number appears to be correct. Can you
check the web site and tell me if the paint scheme is
genuine? ( Also, I'm not 100% sure about the roof style
on the C&O car -- I have contradictory info from sources,
and no photo. )

At 09:25 PM 1/27/02 -0600, you wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Jon Miller wrote:
The comment was made these don't sell because they are not modern.
Could the real answer be that we don't all carry cheat sheets
At the risk of strying off topic, I don't think that the reason they don't
sell is that they are not "modern". The test there would be to compare
the RTR to kitys, adn at least here in the SE USA, the RTR stuff seems to
sell pretty well.
I started buying IMWX kits when they came out, and just kept
on buying... I have 100 of the kits now, and have built more
of them than any other car type I own. Dealers have no idea
why kits sell or don't sell -- and two dealers will give you
entirely different reasons for either fact. One fact that I
heard repeated by many vendors: sales of any model taper off
very rapidly after the first 12 months. P2K releases kits in
"batches" of 6-8 roadnames about a year apart -- Very smart
marketing. Walthers caught on, and then Athearn/Genesis. Red
Caboose and Intermountain still dribble kits out -- good for
people who want to research the model before buying; but not
conducive to impulse buying, which is where a lot of sales
comes from.

Timothy O'Connor <timoconnor@mediaone.net>
Sterling, Massachusetts

Larry Smith

Tim

C&O cars were built with both Viking and Murphy roofs. Car 4935 had a Murphy
paneled roof as in the Red Caboose kit. Des Plaines Hobbies had a special
run made and replaced the Murphy roof casting with a Viking roof casting that
they sell seperately.

Larry Smith .

Tim O'Connor wrote:

[...]

I will add your comment to my database of contradictions! Unless you
have a photo of 4935 or one of the other cars from that order. The Des
Plaines cars represent a different order.

HAWK0621@...

In a message dated 1/28/02 4:00:26 PM, gulley@pasco.com writes:

I have a question regarding the RC 8015 which is one of the next
kits in my "to build" stack. I know some of the NKP cars had a
Viking roof and I think an Apex running board. What should the kit's
17400 series have? While I'm at it, what running board should the IM
Southern RR modified (10'-6) kit have. Thanks Tim for publishing
this list here and many moons ago on the freight car list. It's been
a big help.
NKP 15000-15999 had Viking roofs and 16000-17699 had Murphy raised panel
roofs. The 17400-17699 series were built 6-8/1944 by GATC and came with Apex
Tri-Lik running boards and brake steps, Youngstown doors with Camel fixtures,
and Ajax hand brakes. Car #17614 was equipped with aluminum doors furnished
by the Youngstown Steel Door Co. Trucks were AAR double truss.

The data for Southern's 10'-6" IH box cars from series depend on which series
you want to model, and what period you want to depict. Pullman-Standard built
1,511 cars (lot no. 5692) including series 21500-22999, circa 4-42. The other
11 cars were miscellaneous "replacement" cars that were assigned to the
10183-14140 series (10'-0" IH cars). All cars in this series originally came
with wood running boards. Cars 21500-22799 had Youngstown doors while
22800-22999 had 7-panel Superior doors. 21500-22749 had Universal hand brakes
(this style hand brake not available in HO scale) and 22750-22999 had Miner
H/B. A photo of #22782 (from Bob's Photo) circa 3-59 shows the car having
been modified with what I believe to be a Morton running board. I do not know
when the conversion from wood to Morton running boards occurred (likely
sometime in the 1950s).

Mount Vernon built series 20000-21499, circa 5-42. However, I can't help with
all the data on these cars. Cars 20823 and 21071 had Youngstown doors. Both
cars in photos from Richard Burg (circa 1960-1963) had Morton running boards,
probably replacements like the Pullman-Standard cars received.

Hope this helps.
Ed Hawkins

HAWK0621@...

In a message dated 1/28/02 5:14:30 PM, HAWK0621@aol.com writes:

The data for Southern's 10'-6" IH box cars from series depend on which
series you want to model, and what period you want to depict.
Pullman-Standard
built 1,511 cars (lot no. 5692) including series 21500-22999, circa 4-42. The
other 11 cars were miscellaneous "replacement" cars that were assigned to the
10183-14140 series (10'-0" IH cars). All cars in this series originally
came with wood running boards.
I must follow this up with some "errata" that I misread from the
Pullman-Standard bill of materials. The running boards and brake steps on the
Southern 21500-21999 plus the other 11 misc. numbers originally were Morton.
Thus, they weren't replaced during their service life as I had originally
speculated, but were Morton from the very start. The rest of the data was
correct. I apologize for this error.

Regards,
Ed Hawkins

philgulley

--- In STMFC@y..., "Tim O'Connor" <timoconnor@m...> wrote:
Jon, here is my incomplete list for one group of Red Caboose kits.
Additions and/or corrections are welcome.

8015 Ok NKP 17400 series built 1944 W-corner

Bill Darnaby

Ed forgot to mention that the NKP 15000 series had square corner ends while
the 16000-17699 had W corner ends. Also, all of the 16000-17699 had Apex
running boards. All of this per NKP Society Magazines.

As side note, I wish their was an easy single reference for which cars had
wood or steel running boards as I am always wondering this as I pick up
these kits.

Bill Darnaby