Sending money to Canada

almabranch <harper-brown@...>

Dear List:
When I sent a check to purchase something in Canada I first went to
Google and searched exchange rates. If the company gives you the
cost in Canadian dollars it is easy to convert that to American
dollars so you can write the check for that amount. It worked great
for me.

Jared Harper

ljack70117@...

You can go to a bank that deals in foreign money and buy a money order
in what every money you want.
Thank you
Larry Jackman

almabranch wrote:

Dear List:
When I sent a check to purchase something in Canada I first went to
Google and searched exchange rates. If the company gives you the
cost in Canadian dollars it is easy to convert that to American
dollars so you can write the check for that amount. It worked great
for me.

Jared Harper

almabranch <harper-brown@...>

Larry,
You can go into a bank and get an international money order, or your
bank may have an account in a foreign bank so they can write checks
in foreign funds. The only problem is that this is that the bank
charges a fee that I view as expensive. Therefore, if you are
sending money to Canada it will save money to find out what the
American dollar equivalent of Canadian funds is and send that
amount.
Jared Harper

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

I checked once with local banks for moneys conversions. Most did not do
it. They told me to go to San Francisco only 50 or so miles. Also you will
get a surprise at the post office with MO's as exchange cost differs
dependant on the country. Also checked with western union and think that
was around 40 bucks or so. A little stiff for a 5 dollar order. Credit
Unions which is where I so all my business don't do conversions. Also not
all banks did either.
It's not as easy as it sounds!

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Ted Culotta <ted_culotta@...>

--- Jon Miller <atsf@...> wrote:
I checked once with local banks for moneys
conversions. Most did not do
it. They told me to go to San Francisco only 50 or
so miles. Also you will
get a surprise at the post office with MO's as
exchange cost differs
dependant on the country. Also checked with western
union and think that
was around 40 bucks or so. A little stiff for a 5
dollar order. Credit
Unions which is where I so all my business don't do
conversions. Also not
all banks did either.
It's not as easy as it sounds!
I'll probably sound like your typical American on
vacation in Paris with a comment like this and no
offense to our foreign members is intended, but the
dollar is the standard currency in capital markets so
there is a lot more incentive for foreign financial
institutions to honor it than vice versa.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

http://greetings.yahoo.com/

Norm Dresner <ndrez@...>

I've gotten an International Money Order from the local PO for sending
funds to CA. It cost IIRC about $3.50

Norm

You can go into a bank and get an international money order, or your
bank may have an account in a foreign bank so they can write checks
in foreign funds. The only problem is that this is that the bank
charges a fee that I view as expensive. Therefore, if you are
sending money to Canada it will save money to find out what the
American dollar equivalent of Canadian funds is and send that
amount.
Jared Harper

Dave & Libby Nelson <muskoka@...>

No, it is as easy as it sounds. Use your Visa card. The banks will figure it
out and the transaction fee will be the lowest you will find. BTW, why are we
talking about this anyway?

Dave Nelson