Topics

Great Northern Wood Sided Boxcars #46500-46999

Paul Lyons

I would appreicate a little help. I am tryng to finish one of the Sunshine GN
wood sheathed 1937 design boxcars with the Superior doors. I can't find a
photo of one of these cars. Can someone point me in the right direction as to
a book or magizine article.. More importantly, can someone tell me if any of
the kit door hardware goes on the Superior doors. It looks like it is all for
the Youngstown door kits. Paul Lyons

HAWK0621@...

In a message dated 4/7/02 12:18:22 AM, cobrapsl@... writes:

I would appreicate a little help. I am tryng to finish one of the Sunshine
GN wood sheathed 1937 design boxcars with the Superior doors. I can't find
a photo of one of these cars. Can someone point me in the right direction
as to a book or magizine article.. More importantly, can someone tell me if
any
of the kit door hardware goes on the Superior doors. It looks like it is all
for the Youngstown door kits. Paul Lyons
Paul,
Most of the GN cars of this type had Youngstown doors. However, I have a
Pullman-Standard builder's photo from the Smithsonian Haskell and Barker
Collection of GN 46515 with 7-panel Superior doors. Unfortunately, the GN
freight car diagram sheets do not specify the types of doors used on any
series of these double-sheathed box cars. The car #46515 had a wood running
board and was built 4-42. The tack board was mounted (centered) on the second
door rib, counting from the top edge of the door frame. I have one other pho
to of a GN car from the 46000-46999 series that were built by P-S as part
1,000 cars built in lot 5697. Car #46302 had a Youngstown door. I suspect the
doors in the order were split, perhaps 500 cars each (but that is purely
speculation). Hope this helps.
Ed Hawkins

Steve Haas <Goatfisher2@...>

RailModel Journal - February 94 has an article by Martion Lofton on these
cars. Many pictures, but non of a car with the superior doors. Text in the
article refers to the '42 built cars with Superior Doors.

Looked at my 18.6 kit - sides have superior doors - didn't look at detail
parts. Instructions appear to be the same for both 18.5 and 18.6 kits.

If you locate some info, I'd be interested, as I have one of those to build
myself.

Best regards,

Steve Haas
Sammamish, WA
Goatfisher2 at attbi dot com

I would appreicate a little help. I am tryng to finish one of the Sunshine
GN
wood sheathed 1937 design boxcars with the Superior doors. I can't find a
photo of one of these cars. Can someone point me in the right direction as
a book or magizine article.. More importantly, can someone tell me if any
of
the kit door hardware goes on the Superior doors. It looks like it is all
for
the Youngstown door kits. Paul Lyons

Ted Culotta <ted_culotta@...>

Paul:

Since I haven't seen the definitive answer yet, I
would suggest contacting the Minnesota Historical
Society. They have a large number of GN bills of
materials. They may have the ones for this group of
cars. If they have it, they will make photocopies.

Regards,
Ted

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Paul Lyons

Thanks Ted, but I think Richard Hendrickson has come to the rescue. He is going to email me a couple of builder photos of the cars with Superior doors. Happy to share if your interested. Paul

Ted Culotta <ted_culotta@...>

--- cobrapsl@... wrote:
Thanks Ted, but I think Richard Hendrickson has come
to the rescue. He is going to email me a couple of
builder photos of the cars with Superior doors.
Happy to share if your interested. Paul
Paul:

I'd love to see them if you can forard them on to me.

I actually remembered that I might have the bill of
materials for these cars. If I do, I will send the
info on to you.

Thank you.

Regards,
Ted

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Richard Hendrickson

--- cobrapsl@... wrote:
Thanks Ted, but I think Richard Hendrickson has come
to the rescue. He is going to email me a couple of
builder photos of the cars with Superior doors.
Happy to share if your interested. Paul
Paul:

I'd love to see them if you can forard them on to me.
Ted, I'll post them to you as well as to Paul.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520