New Member

Don Winter <guaruba@...>

I am new to the list, interested in N&W Steam era. I hope I am in the right
place. May I also ask a question about passenger cars of this era? I would
like to know of the major inexpensive HO plastic passenger cars, which
brands might be better suited behind steam engines. Rivarossi, Athearn,
Con-Cor, and IHC make rtr cars already painted and letterd for the N&W. Any
opinions about their quality. None of the above etc? I promise to talk
about frieght cars from here on out!

My true ulterior motive is to see if I can find a freight car of reasonable
demand to injection mold in my machines. Thanks for putting up with me!

Don Winter

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Rivarossi, Athearn,
Con-Cor, and IHC make rtr cars already painted and letterd for the N&W. Any
opinions about their quality. None of the above etc?<

Almost all are thumbs down except for some of Athearns newest (which are
not in the time frame for this list). See P2K, Branchline, IM, RC for the
better freight cars.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Don Winter...a new member...asks:

I am new to the list, interested in N&W Steam era. I hope I am in the
right
place.
Interested in the N&W in the steam era? Yep, this is the place.

May I also ask a question about passenger cars of this era? I would
like to know of the major inexpensive HO plastic passenger cars, which
brands might be better suited behind steam engines. Rivarossi, Athearn,
Con-Cor, and IHC make rtr cars already painted and letterd for the N&W.
Any
opinions about their quality. None of the above etc?
Now...with regard to passenger cars, you need to join the Passengerr Car

PassengerCarList@yahoogroups.com

I promise to talk
about frieght cars from here on out!
Great!

My true ulterior motive is to see if I can find a freight car of
reasonable
demand to injection mold in my machines. Thanks for putting up with me!
Ah. Well, now, an immediate choice for the eastern modeler would be the N&W
55 ton 2 bay hopper, class HL...which went all over the eastern US except,
possibly, Florida. Plans are available in the book Norfolk & Western Coal
Cars and these cars lasted from their construction beginning in '37 until
they were transferred into class H9 during major repairs in the 50s.

Mike Brock

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Oops, scanned so fast I didn't see the word "passenger", assumed it was
freight cars he was asking about.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Mike Brock's prayers may be answered --

My true ulterior motive is to see if I can find a freight car
of reasonable demand to injection mold in my machines.
Ah. Well, now, an immediate choice for the eastern modeler would be the N&W
55 ton 2 bay hopper, class HL...which went all over the eastern US except,
possibly, Florida. Plans are available in the book Norfolk & Western Coal
Cars and these cars lasted from their construction beginning in '37 until
they were transferred into class H9 during major repairs in the 50s.
Myself, I'd prefer one of the N&W 3 bay hoppers. But any easy to
build N&W hopper car model would be a blessing. There probably are
not that many N&W modelers, but they will all need long coal drags.

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@attbi.com>
Sterling, Massachusetts

ian clasper <ian@...>

Hi Don

If you are looking for projects, our illustrious leader (you listening Mike)
gathered a list of most wanted freight cars.

Personally, I would take a look at a welded car for your first venture. This
would allow you to enter the market without the expense of adding a huge
amount of rivets to the mold and testing the skill and patience of you mold
maker.

My favourites that are not currently available too todays high standard are
the Milw Ribside boxcars built 1944 & 1948 boxcar (Ok MDC makes this car,
however the model dates from the 1950s, it is undersize, has modeled on
details and is generally crude) The Milw modelers would go nuts for such a
car, never mind the rest of us !.
The Pennsy G31a, G31b & G31d welded gondola (Pennsy had 1000s plus Pennsy
sells).
Milw Ribside caboose, this has only been available in Brass, and again would
be popular with the MILW modeler.

There is a miriad of other projects to tackle once your established, such as
the N&W twin bay hoppers suggested by Mike. As for the N&W Triple hoppers
suggested by Tim, the H2 / H2a / H3 have been made in plastic by Eastern Car
Works. I did here some major critisism about these however these are already
out there. The H10s have not been covered in either Resin or Plastic,
however these cars arrived at the dusk of the steam era (and this list).

Hope this helps
Ian Clasper