New Walthers wood caboose

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

I noticed a new wood caboose in my hobby shop yesterday. A 30' Walthers
caboose, cupola on the end, 3 windows ahead of it. Lettered variously, it
looks like a photo of a CB&Q [ I'm not saying that it is ] which it is
lettered for. Anyone know anything about these?

Mike Brock

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Mike Brock wrote

I noticed a new wood caboose in my hobby shop yesterday. A 30' Walthers
caboose ..... Anyone know anything about these?
Yes, they are incredibly overpriced.

Barring that, I will send you a scan separately of a 3-window
CB&Q caboose that is vaguely similar to the model. The biggest
difference for me is the trucks. Also I can't quite tell from
the model photo whether the roof is radial or peaked?

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-7500

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>
Sterling, Massachusetts

Gary Roe

Mike Brock asked:

I noticed a new wood caboose in my hobby shop yesterday. A 30' Walthers
caboose, cupola on the end, 3 windows ahead of it. Lettered variously, it
looks like a photo of a CB&Q [ I'm not saying that it is ] which it is
lettered for. Anyone know anything about these?

Mike Brock

Mike,

If I'm not mistaken, a Walters ad I saw concerning these said they were
Grand Trunk prototype.

gary roe

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

The Walthers caboose is a generic car that looks like a lot of cabooses.
Hence the confusion. See the info in the lastest RMJ.
Clark

Mike Brock wrote:

I noticed a new wood caboose in my hobby shop yesterday. A 30' Walthers
caboose, cupola on the end, 3 windows ahead of it. Lettered variously, it
looks like a photo of a CB&Q [ I'm not saying that it is ] which it is
lettered for. Anyone know anything about these?

Mike Brock

Stafford Swain <sswain@...>

Hi:

It may well be a GTW caboose which a team of CNR/GTW/CV fans (including myself) covered in RMC a while back.

I noticed a new wood caboose in my hobby shop yesterday. A 30' Walthers
caboose, cupola on the end, 3 windows ahead of it. Lettered variously, it
looks like a photo of a CB&Q [ I'm not saying that it is ] which it is
lettered for. Anyone know anything about these?

Mike Brock

Stafford Swain
26 Kenneth Street
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
R3T 0K8
(204) 477-9246
sswain@...

Stafford Swain <sswain@...>

Hi:

See my previous message. I too saw the same series of advertisements in MR as to a GTW caboose being an expected product.

Mike Brock asked:

I noticed a new wood caboose in my hobby shop yesterday. A 30' Walthers
caboose, cupola on the end, 3 windows ahead of it. Lettered variously, it
looks like a photo of a CB&Q [ I'm not saying that it is ] which it is
lettered for. Anyone know anything about these?

Mike Brock

Mike,

If I'm not mistaken, a Walters ad I saw concerning these said they were
Grand Trunk prototype.

gary roe

Stafford Swain
26 Kenneth Street
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
R3T 0K8
(204) 477-9246
sswain@...

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

I have more caboose jpegs lined up to send Ted for his web site. Among them
are DWP, GTW (center cupola) and WAB that are similar to the new Walthers car.
I think Walthers did some nifty marketing with this model.
Clark

Stafford Swain wrote:

Hi:

It may well be a GTW caboose which a team of CNR/GTW/CV fans
(including myself) covered in RMC a while back.

I noticed a new wood caboose in my hobby shop yesterday. A 30' Walthers
caboose, cupola on the end, 3 windows ahead of it. Lettered variously, it
looks like a photo of a CB&Q [ I'm not saying that it is ] which it is
lettered for. Anyone know anything about these?

Mike Brock

Stafford Swain
26 Kenneth Street
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
R3T 0K8
(204) 477-9246
sswain@...

Ray Breyer <rbreyer@...>

Speaking of new Walther's cabooses, has anyone seen one of their advertised
wood, center-cupola, C&O prototype caboose models? They were announced at
the same time as the "Roundhouse-clone" models, but Walthers hasn't released
any pictures.

Ray Breyer

It may well be a GTW caboose which a team of CNR/GTW/CV fans
(including myself) covered in RMC a while back.

I noticed a new wood caboose in my hobby shop yesterday. A 30' Walthers
caboose, cupola on the end, 3 windows ahead of it. Lettered variously, it
looks like a photo of a CB&Q [ I'm not saying that it is ] which it is
lettered for. Anyone know anything about these?

Mike Brock

scott459 <scott459@...>

RMJ says it's generic; it's so funky looking I'd rather know somebody really had some just like it. If Walthers really did an accurate model of SOMETHING, they ought to get the word out. ("Generic"-- and a match for NOTHING-- like their 50' SS auto car is just what we'd expect from Walthers.)
I haven't heard about any C&O caboose-- interesting!
Out of our time span, but the Atlas and Athearn caboose ads in that same RMJ each have a significant mistake.
I messed up Clark's name-- I thought he was the host of Freight Car Survivor.
Scott Pitzer

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

Most Excellent Scott! People have so much trouble spelling and pronouncing my name I'm thinking of changing it to John Propst.
Clark

scott459 wrote:

RMJ says it's generic; it's so funky looking I'd rather know somebody really had some just like it. If Walthers really did an accurate model of SOMETHING, they ought to get the word out. ("Generic"-- and a match for NOTHING-- like their 50' SS auto car is just what we'd expect from Walthers.)
I haven't heard about any C&O caboose-- interesting!
Out of our time span, but the Atlas and Athearn caboose ads in that same RMJ each have a significant mistake.
I messed up Clark's name-- I thought he was the host of Freight Car Survivor.
Scott Pitzer

skunkskunk2001 <fwj@...>

--- In STMFC@y..., "scott459" <scott459@m...> wrote:
I heard it was modeled after a GTW prototype too. However, I can't
see most of the guys using this car as a stand-in for some other car
with the high standards most of we folks have for freight car
fidelity.

Victor Baird
Fort Wayne, Indiana

LAURANCE ROBERT KING <ab8180@...>

I saw the Walthers caboose the other day; it looks like the
GTW cabooses with steel underframe. The one thing I'm not
sure of is the window spacing. As I recall (have to check my
pictures) the windows on the GTW cab's were equally spaced.

LR King

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

RMJ probably dosen't have a clue...it looks to me very
much like a GTW van (funny...that's what Walthers said
they were doing) and as such I probably will have to
get a handfull (I grew up in GTW country, and worked
for the Trunk in Pontiac one summer). I looked up some
photos I had on hand and the Trunk did have some with
a peaked roof on the car body and a round roof on the
cupola. If Stafford Swain can get a hold of one he
might have a comment...other than the photo I haven't
seen one in the flesh as of yet...

Bill Daniels
Tucson, AZ

removed]

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Kevin Slark <MoffatRoad@...>

All of the major dimensions are only a few inches out
for a D&RGW 01300-series wooden cab. However, the
underframe and toolboxes are different as are the
window frames. I see great amounts potential in the
car. I'll have my cohort in the RGM&HS New Products
department send over his review of the cars.

Kevin Slark
Rio Grande Modeling & Historical Society New Products
Editor
Birmingham, AL

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Stafford Swain <sswain@...>

Hi:

The August 2002 MR's only Walthers ad (slow time of the year) shows the model. It is in fact a GTW caboose so they are dancing in Port Huron, Battle Creek, South Bend and other such places . . . .

--
Stafford Swain
26 Kenneth Street