PRR Merchandise Service Boxcars

webercanyon <webercanyon@...>

Were any of the PRR X-43C boxcars painted in the Merchandise Service
paint scheme? Thanks in advance, Jan

ian clasper <ian@...>

X29,X29b,X40b, X41b - yes ,
X43c , I am almost certain that the answer is no.

Ian Clasper

Were any of the PRR X-43C boxcars painted in the Merchandise Service
paint scheme? Thanks in advance, Jan

Benjamin Frank Hom <b.hom@...>

Jan (webercanyon) asked:
Were any of the PRR X-43C boxcars painted in the Merchandise Service
paint scheme?

Ian Clasper answered:
X29, X29b, X40b, X41b - yes,
X43c, I am almost certain that the answer is no.

Definitely no - it's an attempt by model manufacturers to reproduce the
paint scheme as applied to Class X29b rebuilds. Merchandise Service schemes
were not all made equal either:

MS1 (1947-1948): Classes X40b (100 cars), X41b (300 cars), X29b (some
cars - total undetermined). 23 1/4" wide aluminum band with 4 1/4" white
edges. Background for keystone monogram toludine red vice freight car
color. "Merchandise Service" letters toludine red with narrow white accent
shadow.

MS2 (1950): Class X29 (some cars - total undetermined). Banner simplified
to all white. Keystone background and "Merchandise Service" lettering
freight car color.

MS3 (1954): Lettering diagram prepared for Class X40b boxcars in May 1954;
very few cars assigned to LCL service received this scheme. White banner
with shadow keystone and freight car color "Merchandise Service).

Ben Hom
There are NO dashes in PRR car classifications...

Greg Martin

Ben Hom (b.hom@...) writes:

<< MS1 (1947-1948): Classes X40b (100 cars), X41b (300 cars), X29b (some cars
- total undetermined). 23 ¼" wide aluminum band with 4 ¼" white edges.
Background for keystone monogram toludine red vice freight car color.
"Merchandise Service" letters toludine red with narrow white accent shadow. >>

HHHMMMMM seems to me that their were at least some X26C's that were painted
in MS1, now where did I see the photo???

Greg Martin

Greg Martin

Guys,

I wanted to forward this to the list from my brother who is not a member of
the list. It is a reply to a message from Ben Hom.

Ed Martin Writes;

Ben and All,

Greg and I discussed this subject at length via the telephone. No doubt by
1954 there was less interest in LCL service cars. Note the condition of those
cars photographed. How rare is the "shadow keystone" version of the LCL paint
scheme adopted in 1954? Answer, very rare. Paint isn't the only clue. Labor
costs had climbed and it was expensive to separate cars with specialized
equipment which required addition labor to handle. Couple this with growing
pressure on the nation's rail car fleet and LCL becomes less attractive to
those in charge back in Philadelphia.

Who knows, maybe that X29 was returning from Council Bluff?

Ed Martin... "a graduate of the Joe Jack school of driving"<

Ed and I share lots of information and research on projects ongoing. I am
lucky to have a brother as interested as I in the PRR and the Railroads of
Southern California of the early 1970s where we grew up.

Greg Martin

Andy Hart

b.hom@... writes:

MS1 (1947-1948): Classes X40b (100 cars), X41b (300 cars), X29b (some
cars - total undetermined). 23 1/4" wide aluminum band with 4 1/4" white
edges. Background for keystone monogram toludine red vice freight car
color. "Merchandise Service" letters toludine red with narrow white accent
shadow.

MS2 (1950): Class X29 (some cars - total undetermined). Banner simplified
to all white. Keystone background and "Merchandise Service" lettering
freight car color.

MS3 (1954): Lettering diagram prepared for Class X40b boxcars in May 1954;
very few cars assigned to LCL service received this scheme. White banner
with shadow keystone and freight car color "Merchandise Service).
Hi Listers,

In his message, Ben Hom discribed the above lettering schemes for PRR
Merchandise Service box cars.

At least one X40b 60' box car was painted in the MS3 scheme. X40b 37080 is
shown among other equipment being displayed at New Brunswick, NJ on May 10,
1955 in the PRR's "Pennsy" magazine for July-August 1955. The car is either
just out of the paint shop or has been cleaned up for the display.

Andy Hart, PRRT&HS 92

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

At 02:35 AM 7/8/2002, you wrote:
Ben Hom (b.hom@...) writes:

<< MS1 (1947-1948): Classes X40b (100 cars), X41b (300 cars), X29b (some cars
- total undetermined). 23 ¼" wide aluminum band with 4 ¼" white edges.
Background for keystone monogram toludine red vice freight car color.
"Merchandise Service" letters toludine red with narrow white accent shadow. >>

HHHMMMMM seems to me that their were at least some X26C's that were painted
in MS1, now where did I see the photo???

Greg Martin
Try Mainline Modeler 12/1992 -- I have notes showing RMJ 3/1991 has
a photo of an X29d in MS paint but it might be a model photo.

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>
Sterling, Massachusetts

Benjamin Frank Hom <b.hom@...>

Tim O'Connor recommended re: Greg Martin's search for PRR Class X26C boxcars
in MS1 paint schemes:

Try Mainline Modeler 12/1992 -- I have notes showing RMJ 3/1991 has
a photo of an X29d in MS paint but it might be a model photo.

No luck with either reference:

"Pennsylvania X29B," by Martin Lofton, MM 12/1992. Two builder's photos
(one car side, one 3/4 A End) of Class X29B boxcar PRR 30901 in MS1. The
side photo makes the car appear to be in MS2 (the aluminum and white bands
blend together), but the different colored bands clearly show out on the 3/4
shot. No Class X26C photos.

"Bob Davis' Front Range Products HO Scale Pennsy X29B 40-foot Box Car,"
PRRT&HS Cincinnati Division, RMJ 3/1991. John C.LaRue broadside photo of
Class X29B (not X29D) boxcar PRR 28049 in a heavily faded MS1. Model by Ed
Bley converted from a Front Range 8 ft door DP roof kit.

Here are some spotting details to help out in this search:

Class X26C: PRR 104260-107759, rebuilt 1945-1949 from Class X26 USRA SS
boxcars. Cars received 10-panel riveted steel sides, rectangular panel
roofs (early rebuilds) or diagonal panel roofs (late rebuilds), and 7 ft
Youngstown doors but retained 5/5/5 Murphy Ends modified with sheet metal
extensions for the taller and wider carbody. 5' 6" truck center to striker
spacing. Side sills feature trapezoidal support brackets.

Class X29B: PRR 26501-31000, rebuilt 1948-1952 from Class X29 steel
boxcars. Cars received 10-panel riveted steel sides, diagonal panel roofs,
7 ft Youngstown doors and R+3/4 early ("rolling pin") Improved Dreadnaught
Ends. 5' 0" truck center to striker spacing. Side sills feature T-section
support brackets.

I am somewhat skeptical that any Class X26C boxcars made it into the MS1
scheme; however, I'll be happy to be proven wrong with a legitimate photo -
the X26C rebuilding program did fall within the timeframe that some Class
X29B boxcars were being outfitted for LCL service, so it's definitely
plausible.

Ben Hom

Greg Martin

Guys,

<<First Ben Hom (b.hom@...) writes:

><< MS1 (1947-1948): Classes X40B (100 cars), X40B (300 cars), X29b (some
cars
>- total undetermined). 23 ¼" wide aluminum band with 4 ¼" white edges.
>Background for keystone monogram toludine red vice freight car color.
>"Merchandise Service" letters toludine red with narrow white accent shadow.

Then I comment...
>HHHMMMMM seems to me that their were at least some X26C's that were painted
>in MS1, now where did I see the photo???

Then Tim adds these reminders...
>Try Mainline Modeler 12/1992 -- I have notes showing RMJ 3/1991 has
a photo of a X29d in MS paint but it might be a model photo.<

First I checked MM and that was no help as that was an article by Martin
Loftin on the X29B and then I dug around and found an article by Richard Burg
"Dr. Pennsy" and found the reference I was looking for in his article of
August 1992 RMJ in which he states... "In 1948, one car, 105126 was entered
as "automobile" and classified XMP. It was equipped with devises for handling
less than carload lading. This car was part of a small block of cars
assigned to Pennsylvania Merchandise Service... <snip> (The classification
XMP and use of "automobiles" with the entry are contradictory, according to
the Register. The XMP applies to cars "carrying miscellaneous
commodity...other than automobile parts".) He also notes that car numbers
105136 and 107324 were also noted as hauling LCL lading's and were likely in
the MS1.

I know I have seen photos of this block of cars and I might even have a copy
of the photo I will have to scrounge around here and ...ahhhh. look for it.
But for the moment Ben add this car class to your MS1 data and I will see if
I have the photo or see if Richard has it.

Greg Martin

Benjamin Frank Hom <b.hom@...>

Greg Martin wrote:

...then I dug around and found an article by Richard Burg and found the
reference I was looking for in his article of August 1992 RMJ in which he
states... "In 1948, one car, 105126 was entered as "automobile" and
classified XMP. It was equipped with devises for handling less than carload
lading. This car was part of a small block of cars assigned to Pennsylvania
Merchandise Service... <snip> He also notes that car numbers 105136 and
107324 were also noted as hauling LCL lading's and were likely in the MS1.

I know I have seen photos of this block of cars and I might even have a copy
of the photo I will have to scrounge around here and ...ahhhh. look for it.
But for the moment Ben add this car class to your MS1 data and I will see if
I have the photo or see if Richard has it.

I'll add it - for the moment. I'll feel a lot better once I see a picture
of one of these cars, as I have no desire to take credit for starting
another modeler's urban legend. I'll call Rich Burg today and see if he has
the photos.

Ben Hom