Topics

NP War Emergency Boxcars #28000-28999

Paul Lyons

I am about to put the underframe details on one of the Sunshine's NP War
Emergency boxcars and have a question. Since these cars were built with six
panels per side, in lieu of the typical eight, are there only four crossties
on the underframe(matching the truss panel points) or do they have the
typical eight like on the rest of the War Emergency boxes? If they have only
4 crossties, how does the air reservoir mount since the rear attachment point
is effectively missing. Unfortunately, the drawings accompanying Richard
Hendrickson's excellent articles on these cars in Aug/Sept 1994 MM only show
the 8 panel Santa Fe and GM&O cars. Finally, did all these cars come with
Univeral brake wheels? Your help is appreicated.
Paul Lyons
Oceanside, CA

Ted Culotta <ted_culotta@...>

Paul:

I will attach a scan of the underframe for you to the
Group files (npweuframe.jpg).

As far as I can tell,the hand brake breakdown is as
follows, but this is not definite (can someone
confirm):
28000-28749 - Ajax (photos of 28022, 28023, 28337,
28464, 28738)
28750-28999 - Universal (photo 28874)

28000-28749 - black ends

Hope this helps.

[...]