Freight car siding

Bruce F. Smith <smithbf@...>

Now, I really know better than to open this can of worms, but having to
face a project on my desk, I just have to ask...

I'm working on building a PRR wire train rider/tool car, and wanted to use
a Westerfield PRR MOW XL commisary car as a starting point. From a photo
Al Buchan sent me, I can tell that the siding on these cars is V grooved,
with what appears to be a 3" board width, but is in reality a 6" board
width with a center V-grove as well as a V-groove edge (as was applied to
most PRR wood cabins). I wanted to match the siding used for the masters
for the Westerfield XL, but I can't seem to do it. Evergreen V-groove
(.03", .04") has either too wide or too narrow a spacing and Evergreen car
siding (3.5" boards IIRC) is just off a little bit in the spacing (actually
too narrow, indicating that the Westerfield model has boards that are a
little too wide <G>).

Any suggestions on matching the siding on these?

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

ABDean <bdean@...>

Bruce....

Time to fall back to the old dental tool method for making siding if
you can't find an Evergreen stock item to match. Rather than take
up everyone's reading time with this here on the board, if you'll
email me , I'll walk you through the steps.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when I first started building styrene models in
the late 60's we didn't have Evergreen, just plain old sheet
styrene...so, necessity being the mother of something....

give me a shout.

Buck Dean
Lexington, KY

Charles Morrill <badlands@...>

Noticed in latest Micromark catalog a scriber #60728 specifically for making siding.
Charlie

Time to fall back to the old dental tool method for making siding if
you can't find an Evergreen stock item to match. Rather than take
up everyone's reading time with this here on the board, if you'll
email me , I'll walk you through the steps.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when I first started building styrene models in
the late 60's we didn't have Evergreen, just plain old sheet
styrene...so, necessity being the mother of something....

give me a shout.

Buck Dean
Lexington, KY

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Bruce F. Smith <smithbf@...>

Buck sez:
Time to fall back to the old dental tool method for making siding if
you can't find an Evergreen stock item to match. Rather than take
up everyone's reading time with this here on the board, if you'll
email me , I'll walk you through the steps.
Thanks for the offer - In looking at this project more last night I
realized that I can use the Evergreen freight car siding...it may even
simplify the "bash".

My problem with this MOW car is that the window arrangement is different
from any of the the MOW XLs that Westerfield sells. So my original plan
was to cut the sides of one of Westerfield's kits up, rearrange whole
pieces of side and add siding as needed to fill gaps. This would allow me
to preserve details like the corner braces. Instead, I think that I will
simply drop Al W's windows into a new side, after cutting them out of the
XL kit side. The other details are pretty easy to add (DA NBW castings,
styrene for the fascia and corner braces)...heck this might be easier! In
both cases I would use the XL kit ends, and the board spacing is "close
enough" that no one will notice the difference between the ends and the
sides. Of course I'll use the XL unterframe as well. As it is, I'll need
to use TWO XL kits to harvest the correct windows, but parts of the second
one will get put to use building an FXL "living and idler" flat car...

In the end, these bashes will fit right in with the other 8 PRR MOW XL camp
cars that will make up three (or four) seperate MOW trains on my layout.

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Greg Martin

Bruce Smith (smithbf@...) writes:

Yes Bruce there is a wood God and we still have trees here in Oregon, lots of them...

Now, I really know better than to open this can of worms, but having to
face a project on my desk, I just have to ask...

I'm working on building a PRR wire train rider/tool car, and wanted to use
a Westerfield PRR MOW XL commisary car as a starting point. From a photo
Al Buchan sent me, I can tell that the siding on these cars is V grooved,
with what appears to be a 3" board width, but is in reality a 6" board
width with a center V-grove as well as a V-groove edge (as was applied to
most PRR wood cabins).<
Your observations are correct the "patterned stock" for "car siding" is 1"x6" V&CV T&G S2S REV which translates into VEE and Center Vee, Tounge and groove, Surfaced two Sides, Reversible center matched. Ths gives the impression of 2 piece of 1"x3". The patterned stock was "normally" run up on stock that was Ayes & Btr Clear Verticle Grain material. This helped reduce cupping, but the grade allows for some slash grain which once painted doesn't hold paint quiet as well. Thus you will see certain boards loose paint long before others.

I wanted to match the siding used for the masters for the Westerfield XL, but I can't seem to do it. Evergreen V-groove(.03", .04") has either too wide or too narrow a spacing and Evergreen car siding (3.5" boards IIRC) is just off a little bit in the spacing (actually too narrow, indicating that the Westerfield model has boards that are a little too wide <G>).

Any suggestions on matching the siding on these?

Happy Rails
Bruce
Good Luck trying to match the siding to Al's it might be tough to do. BUt I would think that the narrower would be closer to correct.

Greg Martin

ABDean <bdean@...>

Buck sez again:

You are welcome; however, apparently you have found the line between
to the two points to be straighter than imagined previously. It
usually takes me a couple of cups of coffee.

I will point out that what Charlie M. sez about the styrene scriber
from Micro Mark should make all take note...these are VERY handy and
there's always that need for some sort of something like this once in
awhile.

Buck Dean
Lexington, KY

endeimling@...

I have scribed my own siding material back in the olda
days (pre-Evergreen). I used a "Kohliner" mechanical
line spacer to properly space the lines. I believe the
false T-G siding is 5.25" wide with a false groove in
the center. This would make the apparent boardwidth
narrower than the normal 3.25" board width found on most
cars.

Gene