Over Sherman Hill!

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Greg and friends,

No, Champ has reissued the P&WV set with new art in their latest catalog. The set does two cars. I just
picked one in my latest order from Champ.

IIRC, it includes the "Symbol of Service" slogan.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

tgregmrtn@... wrote:

Are you trying to ID the car type? This is a P&WV PS-1 Blt 1947, no end ribs, 7-foot Superior Panel door. I am not sure of the date on your WB so I can't properly ID the paint scheme, but I belive it would have been FC Red with black ends and roof, simple P&WV reporting marks and the typical round P&WV herald (pre-1953 paint scheme with the Symbol of Servive Script). The deccal were available from Champ, but I beleive that they are now discontinued. I have a friend who has had some custom made, I believe he still has some available.Let me know if you need a set and I will contact him....

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

Thanks Greg and Tim for responding with the data on the box car. Didn't Kadee do the PS-1 car?
Some people impose certain criteria upon themselves as a way of rationalizing the purchase of model equipment. I think Mike Brock wants models of cars that traversed Wyoming. The MW waybills give the routing, some merchandise gets handed off more than a football in the wishbone offense. This particular cars routing struck me as I was entering it as one than would meet Mike's criteria.
I'm doing the spread sheet at work and am up to June. I think Sam has posted all of the year 1954. When I'm able to sort the entries it will be neat to see the seasonal traffic changes. Already I'm entring less fuel oil and coal and more gas and building supplies. The RR itself has received several loads of ties in box cars. Matter of fact almost everything comes in box cars. I just entered the first flat car yesterday. The only reefers have been in LCL service.
Clark

tgregmrtn@... wrote:

Clark,

Are you trying to ID the car type? This is a P&WV PS-1 Blt 1947, no end ribs, 7-foot Superior Panel door. I am not sure of the date on your WB so I can't properly ID the paint scheme, but I belive it would have been FC Red with black ends and roof, simple P&WV reporting marks and the typical round P&WV herald (pre-1953 paint scheme with the Symbol of Servive Script). The deccal were available from Champ, but I beleive that they are now discontinued. I have a friend who has had some custom made, I believe he still has some available.Let me know if you need a set and I will contact him.

The saw mill was on the SP&S' OE sub, about 28 miles south of Salem, OR. The mill is long gone.

Hope this helps.
Greg Martin
Salem, OR

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

And you oughta know Greg, since you wrote that MM article! ;o)

At 08:09 PM 7/26/2002, you wrote:
Clark,

OOOPPPSS This was an ACF car not a PS-1 and delivered in 1948, painted FC red no black ends or roof if pre-1953. It would have an 8-foot door (YSD) and oridinally blt for coil steel and general merchandice. Tim is correct the car was shown in MM and had an IH of 10-foot 4-inches so the top rib was foreshortened.

Greg Martin

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>
Sterling, Massachusetts

Greg Martin

Tim,

Your absolutely correct ... that's what I get for reading my mail from work
at lunch...

Tim O'Conner writes...
<< Greg I believe you're thinking of 1300-1399, which were PS-1 box cars.
Cars 1200-1299 were not PS-1.>>

But another good project...

Greg Martin

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Greg Martin wrote

[...]

Clark Propst wrote

I'd like to help Mike Brock get a resin kit built. So, here's a car
that I think went over Sherman Hill.

This is from the MW waybills. I was working on the spread sheet when I
saw this routing.

509 5/13 PWV 1200 XM 41'8 steel box, from Timberlane Lumber Albany OR,
to Lyman Lumber Summit Park, SP-Ogden-UP-CoBluf-MILW-MW, fir lumber 36.6 tons

See September 1993 Mainline Modeler for a builder photo of this car.
It's actually a pretty standard AAR box car and can be built with a
Branchline kit. Also see Railmodel Journal November 1999 for a shot
of P&WV #1236.

Specs: P&WV series 1200-1299 blt 1946 ACF lot 2961
10p rivet RP roof 4/4 IDE-2 YSD-1 doors 8-rung
EQUIPCO brake GYPSUM rb ASF A-3 trucks

translation:

4/4 IDE-2: 4/4 "rolling pin" w/ short top rib
YSD-1: Youngstown door w/ recessed partition seams (same
door as used on 1940-era cars)

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>
Sterling, Massachusetts

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>