Maine Central have PS-5 gondolas

Dana and Larry Kline <klinelarrydanajon@...>

I asked (on the FC, STMFC and MEC lists):
<<Did Maine Central have PS-5s? I can't find anything for the Maine Central
except for the 12100-12122 series of 52ft 6in gondolas. These cars have
dimensions that look OK, but my 4-74 ORER indicates that the series is new
or that the number of cars has increased. They don't appear in my 10-70
ORER. I don't have any ORER issues between 10-70 and 4-74. 1974 seems too
late as a built date. Were these PS-5s? Did MEC buy them as used cars?>>

Ian Cranstone replied on the FC list:
I believe these were the former VTR 1000-1024, built by P-S in 1957. They
first appeared in the January 1974 ORER.

Thanks to Ian for the reply

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

Richard Hendrickson

Larry Kline writes:

I asked (on the FC, STMFC and MEC lists):
<<Did Maine Central have PS-5s? I can't find anything for the Maine Central
except for the 12100-12122 series of 52ft 6in gondolas. These cars have
dimensions that look OK, but my 4-74 ORER indicates that the series is new
or that the number of cars has increased. They don't appear in my 10-70
ORER. I don't have any ORER issues between 10-70 and 4-74. 1974 seems too
late as a built date. Were these PS-5s? Did MEC buy them as used cars?>>

Ian Cranstone replied on the FC list:
I believe these were the former VTR 1000-1024, built by P-S in 1957. They
first appeared in the January 1974 ORER.
Larry, you apparently missed my reply pointing out that I have a photo of a
car in this number series and it was a war emergency composite gondola with
steel sheathing replacing the original wood, obviously acquired second hand
and probably from the NYC.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Ian Cranstone

From: Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
Larry, you apparently missed my reply pointing out that I have a photo of a
car in this number series and it was a war emergency composite gondola with
steel sheathing replacing the original wood, obviously acquired second hand
and probably from the NYC.
Richard, the photo you cited in your earlier message was of MEC 12019,
whereas the question was posed about the MEC 12100 series cars. I haven't
checked through ORERs nearly as extensively on the 12000-12042 series, but
it seems to have been a much shorter-lived group arriving on the MEC
sometime during 1969, and was gone by the mid-1970s.

--
Ian Cranstone
Kanata, Ontario, Canada

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Larry Kline asked

Did Maine Central have PS-5s? I can't find anything for the
Maine Central except for the 12100-12122 series of 52ft 6in gondolas.
Ian Cranstone replied

I believe these were the former VTR 1000-1024, built by P-S in 1957.
They first appeared in the January 1974 ORER.
Richard Hendrickson said

Larry, I have a photo of MEC 12019 and it was a second-hand war emergency
composite mill gon with the original wood sheathing replaced by steel.
Appears to be a former NYC car.
and later Richard added

Larry, you apparently missed my reply pointing out that I have a photo of a
car in this number series and it was a war emergency composite gondola with
steel sheathing replacing the original wood, obviously acquired second hand
and probably from the NYC.
and finally Ian Cranstone wrote

Richard, the photo you cited in your earlier message was of MEC 12019,
whereas the question was posed about the MEC 12100 series cars. I haven't
checked through ORERs nearly as extensively on the 12000-12042 series, but
it seems to have been a much shorter-lived group arriving on the MEC
sometime during 1969, and was gone by the mid-1970s.
Phew! Have I got all that?

Now, my question. What became of the Rutland's PS-5 mill gons?

;o)

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>
Sterling, Massachusetts

Richard Hendrickson

Ian Cranstone writes:

Richard, the photo you cited in your earlier message was of MEC 12019,
whereas the question was posed about the MEC 12100 series cars. I haven't
checked through ORERs nearly as extensively on the 12000-12042 series, but
it seems to have been a much shorter-lived group arriving on the MEC
sometime during 1969, and was gone by the mid-1970s.
Aologies to Ian and Larry; apparently I transposed some digits in my head
when I responded to Larry's query. Occasionally I'm numerically challenged.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Roger J Miener <Roger.Miener@...>

Richard Hendrickson says ...

Aologies to Ian and Larry; apparently I transposed some digits in my
head
when I responded to Larry's query.
But, apologies to the rest of us, right? I thought "proper 'puters"
from Apple had a spell checker. Guess not, huh?

.... Occasionally I'm numerically challenged.
Yeah, and it typically happens right around the time of your birthday.
Same thing has been happening to me lately. A rapidly approaching
"six ooh" does that to you. A slowly receding "seven ooh" makes it
worse.

Roger Miener
at Tacoma WA USA

lawrence Jackman <ljack70117@...>

Pray tell when did six ooh every approach slowly or the big seven ooh
every recede slowly?????????????????
Thank you
Larry Jackman

Richard Hendrickson says ...