correct or standard spelling

Bill Welch <bwelch@...>

My collection of original source material is limited and I have not found the answer to my question in what I have so I thought I would ask the group what I suppose is a mechanical engineering question.

What is the correct spelling or prefered style with the following words/terms:

end sill, side sill, center sill, under frame

or

endsill, sidesill, centersill, underframe

Andy Sperandeo <asperandeo@...>

Bill Welch asked for the "correct spelling or prefered style with the
following words/terms: end sill, side sill, center sill, under frame."
Depends on what you accept as authority, Bill, but the 1984 Car Builders
Cyc gives "end sill," "side sill," "center sill," and "underframe."
Webster's Third agrees, if by omission in the case of the first three as
single words.

So long,

Andy

Andy Sperandeo
Executive Editor
MODEL RAILROADER Magazine
262-796-8776, ext. 461
Fax 262-796-1142
asperandeo@...

Richard Hendrickson

My collection of original source material is limited and I have not found
the answer to my question in what I have so I thought I would ask the
group what I suppose is a mechanical engineering question.

What is the correct spelling or prefered style with the following words/terms:

end sill, side sill, center sill, under frame

or

endsill, sidesill, centersill, underframe

Bill, the 1953 Car Builders' Cyclopedia shows end sill, side sill, center
sill, and underframe.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520