USRA SS Box Car

Kert Peterson <kertp@...>

I'm building a Tichy 40' USRA SS Box car into, I hope, a Pennsy X26 circa 1951. I need some help with a few parts to make sure I get this correct for 1951. Were there any of the X26 that still had KC brakes and hand rungs (instead of ladders) in 1951? If there were, what number series were they in? What trucks would be correct, and would they be friction or roller bearing? Any other tips that I am missing will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Kert Peterson
Fircrest, WA
kertp@...

TC <tculotta@...>

Kert Peterson wrote:

I'm building a Tichy 40' USRA SS Box car into, I hope, a Pennsy X26
circa 1951. I need some help with a few parts to make sure I get this
correct for 1951. Were there any of the X26 that still had KC brakes
and hand rungs (instead of ladders) in 1951? If there were, what
number series were they in? What trucks would be correct, and would
they be friction or roller bearing? Any other tips that I am missing
will be appreciated.
Kert:

The Tichy model is not going to be a good starting point (unless you
love pain). By 1951, the cars that still had wood sheathing would have
had new Hutchins Dry Lading roofs (applied in the late 1930's). The
steel doors in the Tichy kit would be correct for most of these cars.
However, a large number of the cars were rebuilt with steel sides and
depending upon when they were rebuilt, various fixtures. The Tichy kit
is for an as built car and is not for your era (although there amy havre
been a few unmodified as built cars floating around among the many
thousands of modified versions). My suggestion, if you want the wood
sided car, is to get the Westerfield kit with the Hutchins roof.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Kert Peterson <kertp@...>

Ted,

Thanks for the information. I will see what I can do with the Tichy kit to
make some other car. Is the Westerfield kit correct for 1951?

[...]

Pieter_Roos <pieter.roos@...>

FWIW,

The Dec. 2000 issue of Mainline Modeler had an article "X26 USRA
boxcar rebuild using a Tichy kit" by Mont Switzer. As I recall, he
used the roof from a Accurail SS car grafted onto the Tichy kit.

Pieter

kertp@s...

[...]

__

Greg Martin

Kert you wrote...
I'm building a Tichy 40' USRA SS Box car into, I hope, a Pennsy X26 circa 1951. I need some help with a few parts to make sure I get this correct for 1951. Were there any of the X26 that still had KC brakes and hand rungs (instead of ladders) in 1951? If there were, what number series were they in? What trucks would be correct, and would they be friction or roller bearing? Any other tips that I am missing will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Kert Peterson
Kert,

This car was the second largest class on the Pennsy for many years and since you have decided to use the Tichy kit you might want to refer to Mont Switzer's article in Mainline Modeler here a few months back. He actually changed the roof to the Hutchins style roof (and beware that these cars had three different types of roof panels) reflecting a late 30's rebuild. Not many, if any car were left in service with KC style brakes by 1951, but you might find a few. They finished their terms of service with the Andrews trucks (which I would replace with ACCRAIL). By 1951 they were "well used" as you might say. The detail on the Tichy kit is excellant and should make into a fine kit. Again I don't like the kit supplied trucks... my preference is ACCURAIL.

Greg Martin

Benjamin Frank Hom <b.hom@...>

Kert Peterson asked:
I'm building a Tichy 40' USRA SS Box car into, I hope, a Pennsy X26 circa
1951. I need some help with a few parts to make sure I get this correct for
1951. Were there any of the X26 that still had KC brakes and hand rungs
(instead of ladders) in 1951? If there were, what number series were they
in? What trucks would be correct, and would they be friction or roller
bearing? Any other tips that I am missing will be appreciated.

Kert, do yourself a huge favor and buy one of Al Westerfield's newly updated
one-piece body kits which specifically model 1930s Class X26 rebuilds:

3355 Wood Door
3356 Youngstown Door
3357 CRECo Door
http://users.multipro.com/westerfield/

To be fair to Mont, he did a great job on his conversion; the other
reasonable approach at the time would have been to use the Westerfield flat
kit and substitute a Hutchins roof from one of his other kits (which he'd be
happy to sell you separately). However (and meaning no disrespect to Greg
Martin or Mont Switzer), why put yourself through the hassle? The
Westerfield one-piece kits are no more difficult to build than the Tichy
kit, and you get the number series info, a great history of the car, three
door variations, and decals made specifically for the car. Follow Greg's
advice and pick up a pair of the Accurail trucks for the Westerfield kit.

Number series info can be found on Ron Schoenberg's website:
http://prr.railfan.net/freight/classpage.html?class=X26

Photos of PRR 564287 and PRR 45466 are at Ted Culotta's website, as well as
a bibliography and list of published photos that I put together:
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/prrx26main.html
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/modeling/vm/vm10bibliomain.html
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/modeling/vm/vm10photosmain.html

One detail on the 1930s Class X26 rebuilds gets missed but once you notice
it, it will really bug you: many of the cars received truss reinforcements,
which you can see on the photo of PRR 45466 at the junction of some of the
truss members. Not all truss members received these reinforcements, and
these differed from car to car - always work from a photo if you're
reproducing a specific car. IIRC, John Johnson reproduced this detail using
Bare Metal Foil.

OK, so now you've got a spare Tichy kit - why not pick up a set of Al's
decals for the MILW USRA SS boxcars and do one of those? (BTW, you get the
info sheet with the decals.) The Milwaukee Road got 4,000 cars, the second
largest allocation from USRA, and the cars ran through the 1950s. There's a
photo of MILW 703425 at Ted's website:
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/milw703425main.html

Good luck!

Ben Hom