Red Caboose Flat car

Bruce F. Smith <smithbf@...>

Good Afternoon,

In my quest for a varied, interesting and ACCURATE flat car fleet, I am
curious if anyone has any suggestions for repainting/relettering an HO Red
Caboose flat. I originally bought it in PRR paint, but it is a very poor
stand in for any PRR 40' flat. I have since stripped it and am ready to
make it into...something! The RPI site says: "Richard Hendrickson had an
article on the USRA car and this kit in the January '97 RMJ. He said the
kit was based on the New York Central cars, which had irregularly spaced
pockets. Thus the kit can model the NYC cars, along with PM and W&LE."

I know that there aren't any decals for the NYC car, except if I want to
adapt Sunshine's for the 70 ton flat...are there any decals available in PM
or W&LE or another road that might be useful?

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Bruce depending on the year you model, you can through C&O in there also. Not if decals are available for them either. You can also fill the holes and drill equally spaced pockets for other roads. I have an Undec one now that I think is going to become a NKP TOFC car.

Brian

In my quest for a varied, interesting and ACCURATE flat car fleet, I am
curious if anyone has any suggestions for repainting/relettering an HO Red
Caboose flat. I originally bought it in PRR paint, but it is a very poor
stand in for any PRR 40' flat. I have since stripped it and am ready to
make it into...something! The RPI site says: "Richard Hendrickson had an
article on the USRA car and this kit in the January '97 RMJ. He said the
kit was based on the New York Central cars, which had irregularly spaced
pockets. Thus the kit can model the NYC cars, along with PM and W&LE."

I know that there aren't any decals for the NYC car, except if I want to
adapt Sunshine's for the 70 ton flat...are there any decals available in PM
or W&LE or another road that might be useful?

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Richard Hendrickson

Bruce Smith writes:

....The RPI site says: "Richard Hendrickson had an
article on the USRA car and this kit in the January '97 RMJ. He said the
kit was based on the New York Central cars, which had irregularly spaced
pockets. Thus the kit can model the NYC cars, along with PM and W&LE."

I know that there aren't any decals for the NYC car, except if I want to
adapt Sunshine's for the 70 ton flat...are there any decals available in PM
or W&LE or another road that might be useful?
Red Caboose has (or has had) factory-lettered kits for NYC, PM, and W&LE,
though I can't offer any guarantees about how accurate they are. I
decal-lettered models of all three before the factory lettered kits were
issued, using various combinations of Champ road name sets and Walthers
data (Champ data tends to be too large to fit on these cars). But I'm not
aware of any complete sets that will, by themselves, letter any of the
models.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Red Caboose released kits for C&O (ex-PM) and NKP (ex-W&LE)
as they would have appeared in the 1950's.

I know that there aren't any decals for the NYC car...
You could try Champ. You should be able to combine a roadname
set with a flat car set and get pretty close.

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>
Sterling, Massachusetts

npin53

The GN had a class of 40ft flatcars that can be accurately modeled
with the Red Caboose kit. The only thing that would have to be
changed, would be to swap the pockets with the type offered by
Tichy. The cars were boxcar red. I could give you more info if you
are interested. Aaron

Shawn Beckert

Aaron,

I don't know if he is, but I am. Anything to cobble together another
prototype kit. So a Red Caboose flat plus Tichy stake pockets equals
a Great Northern car, eh? What would you use for decals, and where do
I look for photographs of said GN flat?

Thanks,

Shawn Beckert, that's enough questions for one paragraph...

The GN had a class of 40ft flatcars that can be accurately modeled
with the Red Caboose kit. The only thing that would have to be
changed, would be to swap the pockets with the type offered by
Tichy. The cars were boxcar red. I could give you more info if you
are interested. Aaron

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Shawn I can answer part of this question since I have Rich's Hendrickson's article on my desk right now. There are 2 pictures of the GN's cars in the January 1997 RMJ. Unfortunately according to the article, the Dalman-Andrews trucks haven't been produced in HO yet. Maybe they have been in the past 6 years. Don't know about the decals.

Brian

The GN had a class of 40ft flatcars that can be accurately modeled
with the Red Caboose kit. The only thing that would have to be
changed, would be to swap the pockets with the type offered by
Tichy. The cars were boxcar red. I could give you more info if you
are interested. Aaron

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

I don't know if he is, but I am. Anything to cobble together another
prototype kit. So a Red Caboose flat plus Tichy stake pockets equals
a Great Northern car, eh? What would you use for decals, and where do
I look for photographs of said GN flat?
Railmodel Journal Jan 1997

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>
Sterling, Massachusetts

Spen Kellogg <spenkell@...>

Brian J Carlson wrote:

Shawn I can answer part of this question since I have Rich's Hendrickson's article on my desk right now. There are 2 pictures of the GN's cars in the January 1997 RMJ. Unfortunately according to the article, the Dalman-Andrews trucks haven't been produced in HO yet. Maybe they have been in the past 6 years. Don't know about the decals.
Bethlehem Car Works produces a Dalman Two Level Truck (BCW #1224) for
$10. I think it used to be the Cape Tine T-24 truck of the same name. I
don't know if it is close enough to what you need though...

Regards, Spen Kellogg

Richard Hendrickson

Spen Kellog writes:

Bethlehem Car Works produces a Dalman Two Level Truck (BCW #1224) for
$10. I think it used to be the Cape Tine T-24 truck of the same name. I
don't know if it is close enough to what you need though...
It has odd-shaped side frames which aren't anything like the GN/SAL
Dalman-Andrews trucks. A better bet is to rework Eastern Car Works Dalman
two-level side frames by adding journal box bolts and retainer bars (which
isn't too difficult because the side frames are styrene, not Delrin).

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Richard Hendrickson

Reference has been made to my 1997 RMJ article and photos. Please note
that the stake pocket spacing on the RC model is incorrect for the GN cars,
which had evenly spaced stake pockets, unlike the spacing on the Red
Caboose NYC prototype cars which had the spacing "closed up" at the ends of
the car. This can be fixed but requires some relocation of stake pockets.
I've addressed the issue of the GN cars' Dalman-Andrews trucks in another
message.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Richard (or anyone else for that matter) can you point me in the direction of a good photo of a C&O flat. The one in the article is kinda fuzzy. I was thinking of substituting Tichy Stake pockets for the ones included in the kit but can't tell if the Tichy pockets are close enough to the cast style used by the C&O.

Brian

Brian Carlson writes:

Richard (or anyone else for that matter) can you point me in the direction
of a good photo of a C&O flat. The one in the article is kinda fuzzy. I
was thinking of substituting Tichy Stake pockets for the ones included in
the kit but can't tell if the Tichy pockets are close enough to the cast
style used by the C&O.
Since that "kinda fuzzy" photo was published, I've found a really sharp
photo of C&O 216092 (ex-PM 16092) taken by Col. Chet McCoil at Bakersfield,
CA in 5/56/ You can get a print from Bob's Photo Service but you may have
to go to one of the major eastern or midwestern meets to get it as Bob
doesn't generally do mail orders (especially not for just a single print).
Take your checkbook, as once you see what's in the collection you are
likely to be caught up in a feeding frenzy. Regarding stake pockets, the
PM/C&O cars had two-U-bolt stake pockets, very similar in appearance to
those in the Tichy kits.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Schuyler G Larrabee <SGL2@...>

Richard Hendrickson advises:

You can get a print from Bob's Photo Service but you may have
to go to one of the major eastern or midwestern meets to get it as Bob
doesn't generally do mail orders (especially not for just a single print).
Take your checkbook, as once you see what's in the collection you are
likely to be caught up in a feeding frenzy.
You may be better off leaving the checkbook home and taking an envelope with
the max amount of cash you are willing to part with . . .

but don't be cheap!

SGL

Thomas Olsen <tmolsen@...>

In regard to Richard and Schuyler's comments about Bob's Photo Service:
I talked to Bob at the Timonium train show on the 26th of January. If
you wish to see him at the next Naperville PMS he will be working out of
his suite upstairs in the hotel. He told me that he feels that the
vendors room does not provide an atmosphere where people can relax
enough to take their time looking through his files for the pictures
they need. Just too many people shuffling back and forth across the
fronts of tables getting in each others road. He may also be doing the
same at Monroeville in March! Either way, if you do not see him in the
vendors room and you definitely know he is at the meet, then look for a
sign that tells where his suite is.

Tom Olsen
Newark, Delaware