Mather Refrg. cars

raildata@...

I have a friend here who badly wants to see any photos of Mather
refrigerators lettered for URTX. Think these are in the 4xxx and 5xxx series.
Apparently some of these were published in the model rr press. Just knowing
the mag and issue would be a big help.

Any info as to where he could buy prints or find a scan would be appreciated.

Chuck Yungkurth
Boulder CO

Richard Hendrickson

Chuck Yungkurth writes:

I have a friend here who badly wants to see any photos of Mather
refrigerators lettered for URTX. Think these are in the 4xxx and 5xxx series.
Apparently some of these were published in the model rr press. Just knowing
the mag and issue would be a big help.

Any info as to where he could buy prints or find a scan would be appreciated.
Chuck, to the best of my knowledge Union Refrigerator Transis owned NO
Mather reefers (all Mather reefers were owned by the Mather Stock Car Co.,
which leased them to various packing houses), and I've never seen a photo,
published or not, that showed otherwise. I think this is a lost cause.
URTX did have a lot of 36' meat reefers on their roster but they were
mostly built by GATC (which owned URT) and were only vaguely similar to the
Mather cars.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Chuck Yungkurth wrote
I have a friend here who badly wants to see any photos of Mather
refrigerators lettered for URTX. Think these are in the 4xxx and
5xxx series.
Richard Hendrickson replied
Chuck, to the best of my knowledge Union Refrigerator Transis owned
NO Mather reefers
Chuck,

If you like, I can forward scans from Jim Sands and Charlie Hauser
and another, of URTX 4xxx series reefers. One is a steel car of unknown
heritage, the other are plug door equipped wood rebuilds of a mysterious
nature. From somewhere I have a scan of the reporting marks from sill
to roof line of URTX 5567 but I'm not sure how much can be gleaned
from that.

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@attbi.com>
Sterling, Massachusetts