Type 27 tank car production

Bruce F. Smith <smithbf@...>

Good Morning,

Since we are on the subject of AC&F type 27 tank cars, I did have one minor
question.

In the RP Cyc, vol 2, Ed Hawkins says "During the span of 20 years, more
than 10,000 Type 27 tank cars were built by AC&F"(p 9), and then later
states "In all, AC&F built more than 1800 Class ICC-103 8,000 gallon Type
27 tank cars. Excluding the USG-A War Emergency cars, more than 750 Class
ICC-103 10,000 gallon cars were built." If I count correctly, including
the USG-A cars, this only accounts for about 1/3 of the total production of
Type 27 tank cars.

Are the remaining 2/3 of the production of Type 27 cars accounted for by
cars of other capacities and capabilities (such as insulated cars)?

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||

Ed Kaminski <ed.kaminski@...>

From: "Bruce F. Smith" <smithbf@mail.auburn.edu>
In the RP Cyc, vol 2, Ed Hawkins says "During the span of 20 years, more
than 10,000 Type 27 tank cars were built by AC&F"(p 9), and then later
states "In all, AC&F built more than 1800 Class ICC-103 8,000 gallon Type
27 tank cars. Excluding the USG-A War Emergency cars, more than 750 Class
ICC-103 10,000 gallon cars were built." If I count correctly, including
the USG-A cars, this only accounts for about 1/3 of the total production of Type 27 tank cars.
Are the remaining 2/3 of the production of Type 27 cars accounted for by
cars of other capacities and capabilities (such as insulated cars)?
Yes, that is correct.

Ed Kaminski
Visit my Home Page at http://geocities.com/shpx60000/theedwards.html
Visit the Maywood Station Historical Committee Home Page at http://geocities.com/maywoodstation/maywoodstation.html

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Bruce, someone who shall remain unnamed (but he's really uptight
about underframes and lives in Pittsburgh) told me that the Sunshine
ICC-104 tank cars should ride on Type 27 underframes. So perhaps
those are some of the missing 27's?

In the RP Cyc, vol 2, Ed Hawkins says "During the span of 20 years, more
than 10,000 Type 27 tank cars were built by AC&F"(p 9), and then later
states "In all, AC&F built more than 1800 Class ICC-103 8,000 gallon Type
27 tank cars. Excluding the USG-A War Emergency cars, more than 750 Class
ICC-103 10,000 gallon cars were built." If I count correctly, including
the USG-A cars, this only accounts for about 1/3 of the total production of
Type 27 tank cars.

Are the remaining 2/3 of the production of Type 27 cars accounted for by
cars of other capacities and capabilities (such as insulated cars)?

Happy Rails
Bruce

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@attbi.com>
Sterling, Massachusetts

Spen Kellogg <spenkell@...>

Ed Kaminski wrote:

Are the remaining 2/3 of the production of Type 27 cars accounted for by
cars of other capacities and capabilities (such as insulated cars)?
Yes, that is correct.
Ed,

Did the Type 27 include triple dome cars? I have two AC&F builders
photos (courtesy of Richard Hendrickson) of SKX 361 and SKX 352. The
first is obviously a Type 27. Is the latter as well? I have always
assumed so, but assumptions can get one into trouble.

Thanks and regards, Spen Kellogg

Ed Kaminski <ed.kaminski@...>

From: Spen Kellogg <spenkell@optonline.net>
Ed,
Did the Type 27 include triple dome cars? I have two AC&F builders
photos (courtesy of Richard Hendrickson) of SKX 361 and SKX 352. The
first is obviously a Type 27. Is the latter as well?
Spencer,
Both of of these cars show as Type 27's.

Ed Kaminski
Visit my Home Page at http://geocities.com/shpx60000/theedwards.html
Visit the Maywood Station Historical Committee Home Page at http://geocities.com/maywoodstation/maywoodstation.html

Bruce F. Smith <smithbf@...>

It makes sense since they were AC&F cars...I wonder how many are sitting
unmade on shelves (I have one, that will soon be moving to the model bench).

Bruce