PS-1 lettering help

BlackDiamondRR@...

Hello, I have recently purchased 10 resin 40' PS-1 kits in S scale from Kaslo
Shops. These are the 6' door variety. I plan to letter one of them in D&H
using a CDS dry transfer set. Set # 63 D&H round herald...was this scheme used
before the shield herald?
One other I want to do in C&NW Route of the "400" Streamliners scheme.
The CDS set for this has a car number of 1098. I can't find this # in the PS-1
listing. My question is....does anyone know if this # is a PS-1 car #, and
how early (early 50's, mid 50's?) was this slogan used, and was it used on the
PS-1's at all?

Thanks, Bud Rindfleisch

Don Valentine

Quoting BlackDiamondRR@...:

Hello, I have recently purchased 10 resin 40' PS-1 kits in S scale from
Kaslo
Shops. These are the 6' door variety. I plan to letter one of them in
D&H
using a CDS dry transfer set. Set # 63 D&H round herald...was this
scheme used
before the shield herald?
Simple answer, yes.

Good luck, Don Valentine

Schuyler G Larrabee <SGL2@...>

Bud Rindfleisch asked about:

Set # 63 D&H round herald...was this scheme used
before the shield herald?
Bud, I can't tell you exactly the whole answer, but I can tell you to be
careful here. As Don said, the simple answer is yes, but exactly when do
you want to be modeling?

The D&H PS-1s originally had no circle herald , but had a "The D&H" script
logo in the upper left corner of the car. Kadee decorated their model of
18570 this way, blt date 10-50. An image of this is probably on line
somewhere. Later, they had the circle herald, but the lettering in the
circle was changed at some point. In one version it was "THE BRIDGE LINE TO
NEW ENGLAND AND CANADA." "AND" might have been "&." Later it read
something about "SESQUICENTENNIAL" (however that's spelled . . . ). I can't
recall the exact wording, nor exactly when it was changed, but I think that
wasn't until the late 60's/early 70's.

At least for a long time, "THE BRIDGE LINE . . . " was hard to find in HO.

I hope this is helpful.

SGL

Schuyler G Larrabee <SGL2@...>

I should have done this before:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/dh/dh19360ajs.jpg
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/dh/dh20150bs.jpg

both show "THE BRIDGE LINE . . . " and 19360 is taken in 1967. 20150 is
undated. But

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/dh/dh19516ajs.jpg

is dated 1967, and

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/dh/dh19561ajs.jpg

is dated 1966, so it's possible that these cars never saw the
"SESQUICENTENNIAL" version. Unfortunately, no original scheme image is on
George's site.

SGL

[...]

Schuyler, Thanks for the info and jpegs. My modeling focus is basically the
1955-56 era, so was hoping I could use the dry transfers I had on hand. I felt
the circle logo looked better for that era judging from photos I've seen. The
shield logo just looked newer. I noticed build dates of 1952 in a couple shots
you sent, so wonder what the original scheme was on these.

Still need info on the C&NW route of the "400" scheme, anyone?

Bud Rindfleisch

Thomas Baker

Bud,

I wish I knew more about C&NW PS-1 box cars. Someone recently told me that
C&NW had a number of riveted PS-1 cars. If you plan for some C&NW cars, it
might be best to check the series and go with a photo of the particular
prototype.

Tom

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

Tom, Bud,
Here's a link to a model of a riveted PS1. I just noticed I put the tack boards
on backwards!
http://www.eldora.net/lyndon/propst/cnw87542.html
The first R P Cyc had a article on the CNW riveted cars that the model is made
from. There are also articles in old RMJ's on PS1's including CNW cars. I'll try
to get the issue dates.
Clark Propst

bakert@... wrote:

Bud,

I wish I knew more about C&NW PS-1 box cars. Someone recently told me that
C&NW had a number of riveted PS-1 cars. If you plan for some C&NW cars, it
might be best to check the series and go with a photo of the particular
prototype.

Tom

cf5250 <timoconnor@...>

Still need info on the C&NW route of the "400" scheme, anyone?
C&NW applied the Overland/400 scheme to most box cars until
the early-to-mid 1950's. So most of the PS-1's were delivered
that way. Have I posted this list before?

* CNW series 1- 625 blt 1953 PS 6' IY
CNW series 656- 1655 blt 1954 PS 6' IY / 5p SUP
CNW series 1656- 1657 blt 1954 PS 7'
CNW series 2225- 2260 blt 1955 PS 6' 5p SUP
* CNW series# 6200- 7398 blt 1951 PS 6' 7p SUP
CNW series! 6501- 9649 blt 1955 PS 6' IY / 5p SUP
* CNW series# 7400- 10098 blt 1951 PS 6' IY
CNW series 6592- blt 1954 PS 6'
CNW series 6772- acq 1955 PS 7'
CNW series 7062- blt 1952 PS 6'
CNW series 7298- blt 1953 PS 7'
CNW series 7346- blt 1953 PS 7'
CNW series 7392- blt 1953 PS 7'
CNW series 7758- blt 1956 PS 6'
CNW series 7782- blt 1952 PS 6'
CNW series 7952- blt 1953 PS 7'
CNW series 8000- acq 1955 PS 7'
CNW series 8020- blt 1956 PS 6'
CNW series 8166- acq 1955 PS 7'
CNW series 8378- blt 1953 PS 7'
CNW series 8414- blt 1955 PS 6'
CNW series 8904- blt 1953 PS 7'
CNW series 9186- blt 1953 PS 7'
CNW series 9320- blt 1956 PS 6'
CNW series 9448- blt 1953 PS 7'
CNW series 9801- blt 1956 PS 6'
CNW series 9830- blt 1953 PS 7'
CNW series 9850- blt 1956 PS 6'
CNW series 10003- blt 1953 PS 6'
CNW series 10200- 10239 blt 1957 PS 8'
CNW series 23000- 24099 blt 1956 PS 6' IY drop sill
CNW series 24100- 24199 blt 1956 PS 9'
CNW series 24201- blt 1956 PS 6'
CNW series 24203- 24210 blt 1956 PS 6'
CNW series 24300- 24799 blt 1958 PS 8' PS
CNW series 24800- 25049 blt 1958 PS 8' SUP
CNW series 25050- 25299 blt 1958 PS 8' IY
CNW series 84252- blt 1952 PS 6'
CNW series# 84286- 84290 blt 1953 PS 7' 5p SUP
CNW series 84292- blt 1953 PS 6
CNW series# 84294- 84298 blt 1953 PS 7'
* CNW series# 86300- 88298 blt 1948 PS 6' 7p SUP lot 5920
CNW series# 88300- 88382 blt 1948 PS 6'
* CNW series 106600-108598 blt 1949 PS 6' IY lot 5955

# even numbers only

! odd numbers only

* PS1 series w/ riveted sides

Tim O'Connor

BlackDiamondRR@...

Brian, Tom, Thanks for the lettering info on the CNW and D&H schemes.

Bud

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Bud,

Be very careful in choosing the number for your CNW PS-1. They bought something like 7,000 RIVETED cars, in addition to the more standard welded PS-1s. All PS-1s are not the same!

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
"Bud, I can't tell you exactly the whole answer, but I can tell you
to be careful here. As Don said, the simple answer is yes, but
exactly when do you want to be modeling?"

The best approach here, as always, would be to use a photo from the
timeframe that you model. After 1950, Colonie and Oneonta must have
drawn numbers from a hat to determine which paint scheme they'd apply
to a car. By the end of the D&H, it looks like it degenerated to
drawing numbers to determine which stencils and paint color to use!

"...In one version it [the round D&H herald] was "THE BRIDGE LINE TO
NEW ENGLAND AND CANADA." "AND" might have been "&." Later it read
something about "SESQUICENTENNIAL" (however that's spelled...). I
can't recall the exact wording, nor exactly when it was changed, but
I think that wasn't until the late 60's/early 70's."

The "Sesquicentennal" herald came out for the D&H's 150th anniversary
(i.e., sesquicentennial) in 1973. At least one PS-1 received it for
a display train that ran systemwide; I'm not sure how many more, if
any, received it. (Walthers did include a pair with every PS-1 decal
set - any 1970s D&H modelers want one? I think I still have a few...)

"At least for a long time, "THE BRIDGE LINE . . . " was hard to find
in HO."

I remember decaling several D&H offset twins and PS-1s at RPI during
my student days, and the only version of the round "Bridge Line"
herald available the was from a Walthers set for a PS-1, which was at
least 2X oversize for this application. Of course, no sooner was I
finished with this project when Bev-Bel did a run of offset twins
with the correct sized heralds!

(BTW, both large and small round "Bridge Line" heralds are available
in Highball Graphics' HO set F-119.)

Ben Hom

Thomas Baker

Group,

I know that for some box cars--don't know about hoppers--the D&H circular
emblem had a slogan around the outside saying, "One hundred years of anthracite
service." At least, I think that was it word for word, close anyway. Did the
slogan also appear on hoppers?

Tom

Schuyler G Larrabee <SGL2@...>

Ben Hom advised:

(BTW, both large and small round "Bridge Line" heralds are available
in Highball Graphics' HO set F-119.)
ooo, good! Thanks for the tip!

SGL