Sylvna kits of CN/GTW steel rebuilds

Bill Welch <bwelch@...>

Can anyone comment on the Sylvan resin kits that represent steel rebuilds of
CN & GTW single sheathed cars. Comments not just on the casting but quality
of the decals would be appreciated. Clare is an excellent modeler and
person, but I have not built any of his kits to date.

I am thinking about doing one of the cars with the Hutchins roof, # HO-1090
if I understand their information correctly. Were the cars in the
470000-470149 group eventually transferred to GTW? The description with the
kits at their web site is unclear.

Bill Welch

Stafford Swain <sswain@...>

Hi Bill:

Can anyone comment on the Sylvan resin kits that represent steel rebuilds of
CN & GTW single sheathed cars. Comments not just on the casting but quality
of the decals would be appreciated. Clare is an excellent modeler and
person, but I have not built any of his kits to date.
I'm probably one of the key data suppliers to this project but haven't built any of the resultant kits (yet). As a general comment on Sylvan kits, one of their challenges is to ensure that their mould release is addressed before painting. Sylvan sells a special fluid to address this (and a lacquer thinner bath probably would help too!).

I haven't seen the Sylvan decals for these kits so have no comments on same. The alternative CNR lettering source (at this time) would be to acquire the CDS equivalent lettering. In addition to specific car-type sets, CDS has a dimensional data set which would allow you to build your own "correct" dimensional/capacity data and reweigh stuff for any CNR car on a decal sheet (get out the optivisor for this task).

In the longer run, we (as in the CN lines SIG) intend to issue a comprehensive lettering "tool box format" of CNR-family freight car decal material which will feature some of the CNR's varied freight fonts but that project is at least a couple of years away. We do have a top notch set of tilted green maple leaf monograms (four per package) available as CN Lines SIG product 300-8.

Paint-wise there are both Scalecoat 1 and Modelflex versions of CNR Red No. 11 available from dealers. The CN Lines SIG is the distributor of the Scalecoat 1 version which is only available from few U.S. dealers (so far).

I am thinking about doing one of the cars with the Hutchins roof, # HO-1090
if I understand their information correctly. Were the cars in the
470000-470149 group eventually transferred to GTW? The description with the
kits at their web site is unclear.
This is an interesting question. These cars were always rostered, marked and ORER'd as CNR cars. That said, the GTR may have been responsible for all their re-weighs and car maintenance as all the in-service photos I have seen show the station symbol as "VT" (which is Battle Creek MI).

Bill Welch

--
Stafford Swain
26 Kenneth Street

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

Bill,
I've built one Sylvan kit. The casting are white resin. I wasn't happy with the
decals or deckels to the Sylvan people. I have another car completed using their
roof and ends. Roof is like a Murphy with on raised panels and the ends are like
PS1's with verticle stiffeners. Anyway, I emailed them to see if they make Maple
Leaf deckels. I need them for the car, but haven't heard back it's been over a
week.
Clark

Bill Welch wrote:

Can anyone comment on the Sylvan resin kits that represent steel rebuilds of
CN & GTW single sheathed cars. Comments not just on the casting but quality
of the decals would be appreciated. Clare is an excellent modeler and
person, but I have not built any of his kits to date.

I am thinking about doing one of the cars with the Hutchins roof, # HO-1090
if I understand their information correctly. Were the cars in the
470000-470149 group eventually transferred to GTW? The description with the
kits at their web site is unclear.

Bill Welch

Stafford Swain <sswain@...>

Hi:

The CN Lines SIG sells a nice 1945-1954 era tilted Green Maple Leaf monogram decal (Bob Smith of Railcad's artwork) through our many Canadian dealers and certain U.S. dealers. We list this set as follows.

300-8dm 1945 to 1954 CNR green maple leaf monograms - set of four.
Canadian suggested retail price $3.50, U.S. suggested retail price US$2.50.

Bill,
I've built one Sylvan kit. The casting are white resin. I wasn't happy with the
decals or deckels to the Sylvan people. I have another car completed using their
roof and ends. Roof is like a Murphy with on raised panels and the ends are like
PS1's with verticle stiffeners.
This was called the "welded" roof (it is depicted in a Cyc from that era) and was applied to the last 100 cars (470150-470249) of the overall 470000-470249 series. The good old CNR favorite, the Hutchins Dry Lading roof was used on the first 150 cars.

Bill Welch wrote:

Can anyone comment on the Sylvan resin kits that represent steel rebuilds of
CN & GTW single sheathed cars. Comments not just on the casting but quality
of the decals would be appreciated. Clare is an excellent modeler and
person, but I have not built any of his kits to date.

I am thinking about doing one of the cars with the Hutchins roof, # HO-1090
if I understand their information correctly. Were the cars in the
470000-470149 group eventually transferred to GTW? The description with the
kits at their web site is unclear.

Bill Welch

Stafford Swain
26 Kenneth Street
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
R3T 0K8
(204) 477-9246
sswain@mts.net

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

Thanks, Stafford,
Who do I get a set from?
Clark

Bill Welch wrote:

Can anyone comment on the Sylvan resin kits that represent steel rebuilds of
CN & GTW single sheathed cars. Comments not just on the casting but quality
of the decals would be appreciated. Clare is an excellent modeler and
person, but I have not built any of his kits to date.

I am thinking about doing one of the cars with the Hutchins roof, # HO-1090
if I understand their information correctly. Were the cars in the
470000-470149 group eventually transferred to GTW? The description with the
kits at their web site is unclear.

Bill Welch

Stafford Swain
26 Kenneth Street
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
R3T 0K8
(204) 477-9246
sswain@mts.net

Stafford Swain <sswain@...>

Hi:

Our CN Lines SIG product stocking dealers in the U.S. are Flying Yankee (John Hutchins) of Littleton MA, AA Hobbies in Rhode Island, and Des Plaines Hobbies. In Canada, the dealer list is much longer.

While we are on the topic of our CN Lines SIG products, I should mention that we also currently have decal sets for CNR tank cars (two versions) and the CNR's S.U.F reefers.

Our Scalecoat 1 paint line consists of 18 colors which may be compared with Scalecoat's own current line of less than 70 shades to cover all possibilities.

In the paint line we have two freight car mineral reds, the steam-era CNR Red No. 11 and the somewhat darker Red No. 12 which became the standard after 1968. We also have several useful grays including Grey No. 11 for those overhead ice bunker reefers, CNR Grey No. 12 for later covered hoppers and two CPR-origin grays. Other colors of potentially wider interest include Yellow No. 11, a nice "Imitation Gold" and a model friendly "Warm Black". It is a great "near-black" that is excellent for the black prototypes which lose their detail when a straight "pure" black is used.

The overall point is we have custom-made Scalecoat 1 colors that may have uses well beyond our narrow CNR and CPR needs.

End of infomercial . .

Thanks, Stafford,
Who do I get a set from?
Clark

Stafford Swain wrote:

Hi:

The CN Lines SIG sells a nice 1945-1954 era tilted Green Maple Leaf
monogram decal (Bob Smith of Railcad's artwork) through our many
Canadian dealers and certain U.S. dealers. We list this set as
follows.

300-8dm 1945 to 1954 CNR green maple leaf monograms - set of four.
> Canadian suggested retail price $3.50, U.S. suggested retail price US$2.50.
,snip>
--
Stafford Swain
26 Kenneth Street

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

Stafford,
I will ask a friend in the Chicago area if he'd pickup the decals at Des Plaines.
Is there a number for the box car set?
Clark Propst