ADMIN: A few thoughts before anyone...

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Oh hum. Kind of a boring day <g>. Guess I'll take the opportunity to note a
few STMFC rules...namely:

"Personal attacks on other members are not
tolerated and such actions may result in expulsion from the group. I would
emphasize that, while many groups include this rule in their charter, it is
enforced on the STMFC.

The Members are permitted to criticize or praise manufacturer's products
free
from criticism from other members."

I'll further add...members are free to express their views on subjects
associated with steam era frt cars but are expected to treat the views of
other members and the members themselves with respect. Thus, if I express
the view that Union Pacific frt cars are better than any others and, say,
Tim O'connor disagrees stating that SP frt cars are better [ I only use this
as an example, realizing that Tim probably agrees with me ], and I wish to
convince others of the righteousness of my claim, I must attempt with logic
to prove it. At no time am I to make negative comments about Tim himself.

Now....wonder where I put that M&STL frt conductor's book? Oh yeah...I used
the pages in it to lay plaster on my layout as I recall. Or did I use it
for...? Ran out of paper towells as I recall. Oh well...not very important
anyway I guess...

Oh hum.

Mike Brock
STMFC Owner

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Mike Brock wrote

Thus, if I express the view that Union Pacific frt cars are better
than any others and, say, Tim O'connor disagrees stating that SP frt
cars are better [ I only use this as an example, realizing that Tim
probably agrees with me ], and I wish to convince others of the
righteousness of my claim, I must attempt with logic to prove it.
Proving logically that SP freight cars are better than UP freight cars
is trivial.

(1) If a railroad has superior freight cars, then modelers will demand
more accurate models of them.

(2) There are many more accurate models of SP freight cars than of UP
in HO scale (or any other scale that I know of).

(3) Ergo, SP freight cars are superior to UP freight cars.

See? A no-brainer.

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@attbi.com>
Sterling, Massachusetts

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Tim O'Connor writes:

(2) There are many more accurate models of SP freight cars than of UP
in HO scale (or any other scale that I know of).

Ah ha! My kind of message. Define "accurate" please.

Mike Brock

Ron Boham <spnut@...>

This thread is starting to resemble Ambrose Bierce's definition of a syllogism, containing a major premise, a minor premise, and a conclusion:

Major Premise: Sixty men can do sixty times the amount of work of one man.

Minor Premise: One man can dig a post hole in a minute.

Conclusion: Therefore, sixty men can dig a post hole in one second.

Adding statistics to this kind of muddled thinking gives a mathematical certainty to the absurd, making us twice-blessed.

Ron Boham
Ralston, NE

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Mike Brock wrote

Thus, if I express the view that Union Pacific frt cars are better
than any others and, say, Tim O'connor disagrees stating that SP frt
cars are better [ I only use this as an example, realizing that Tim
probably agrees with me ], and I wish to convince others of the
righteousness of my claim, I must attempt with logic to prove it.
Proving logically that SP freight cars are better than UP freight cars
is trivial.

(1) If a railroad has superior freight cars, then modelers will demand
more accurate models of them.

(2) There are many more accurate models of SP freight cars than of UP
in HO scale (or any other scale that I know of).

(3) Ergo, SP freight cars are superior to UP freight cars.

See? A no-brainer.

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Ron, are you saying it NEVER happened? Can you PROVE they didn't
dig that hole in one second?

I didn't think so.

P.S. With infallible logic like mine, I'm sure to get a job in
the Bush administration.

Conclusion: Therefore, sixty men can dig a post hole in one second.

Adding statistics to this kind of muddled thinking gives a mathematical
certainty to the absurd, making us twice-blessed.

Ron Boham
Ralston, NE

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@attbi.com>
Sterling, Massachusetts

Thomas Olsen <tmolsen@...>

That hole is getting deeper!

Tom Olsen

Mike Brock wrote:

Tim O'Connor writes:

(2) There are many more accurate models of SP freight cars than of UP
in HO scale (or any other scale that I know of).

Ah ha! My kind of message. Define "accurate" please.

Mike Brock

George Hollwedel <georgeloop@...>

We have it even better in N Scale since Micro-Trains makes an accurate
C-30-1 SP Caboose in plastic, with two cupola styles!

(2) There are many more accurate models of SP freight cars than of UP
in HO scale (or any other scale that I know of).

Ah ha! My kind of message. Define "accurate" please.

Mike Brock

prr6380

The version I heard was, "If it takes 4 days for a boat to sail
across the ocean, then 4 boats could do it in 1 day." Since records
are kept for cross ocean sailings, this could be proved to have never
happened.

Walt Stafa

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@a...> wrote:

Ron, are you saying it NEVER happened? Can you PROVE they didn't
dig that hole in one second?

I didn't think so.

P.S. With infallible logic like mine, I'm sure to get a job in
the Bush administration.

Conclusion: Therefore, sixty men can dig a post hole in one
second.

Adding statistics to this kind of muddled thinking gives a
mathematical
certainty to the absurd, making us twice-blessed.

Ron Boham
Ralston, NE

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@a...>
Sterling, Massachusetts