Photo in 2004 Model Railroader Calendar

Walter M. Clark

Guys-

I was in Longs in Moreno Valley today and saw the new 2004 Model
Railroader Calendar. Our esteemed Mike Brock has a beautiful photo in
it. Great work, Mike, and congratulations.

Walter M. Clark
Time stopped in November 1941
Riverside, California

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Walter M. Clark writes:

"I was in Longs in Moreno Valley today and saw the new 2004 Model
Railroader Calendar. Our esteemed Mike Brock has a beautiful photo in
it. Great work, Mike, and congratulations."
I do? First I knew of it. Do you suppose there's another Mike Brock out there and...no, even my imagination can't bring that up. Still, you'd think they might have mentioned it...or...gulp...sent me one. Guess I'll have to get one [ maybe ten? ] somewhere...need to know what day it is, you know. Does it include a frt car? Hate to be out of line here.

Mike Brock

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Mike...

Unfortunately your experience with Kalmbach's
publications policy parallels mine. They belong to the
class of publisher that dosen't belive in informing
the photographer that a picture has been chosen for
publication...I found out about my photo being used in
the TRAINS calender some years ago when I ran across
it in a hobby shop...and I had to buy the copy I got!

But the strangest one was maybe 15 or so years ago
when they used a shot in TRAINS of mine taken at
Mescal AZ (not too far from here) of an Espee freight
(sorry...not steam era) topping the hill. Several of
us were commenting on the shot (and I was thinking of
"who took the shot at one of my favorite locations)
when I read the credit line...(I didn't remember
sending it in for review). Oh, well...at least they
pay promptly! And now, back to more pertenant things
(the train WAS a freight train!)

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:13:14 -0400
From: "Mike Brock" <brockm@...>
Subject: Re: Photo in 2004 Model Railroader Calendar

I do? First I knew of it. Do you suppose there's
another Mike Brock
out there and...no, even my imagination can't bring
that up. Still,
you'd think they might have mentioned
it...or...gulp...sent me one. Guess
I'll have to get one [ maybe ten? ] somewhere...need
to know what day it
is, you know. Does it include a frt car? Hate to be
out of line here.

Mike Brock

=====
Bill Daniels
Tucson, AZ

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Walter M. Clark

--- In STMFC@..., "Mike Brock" <brockm@b...> wrote:
Walter M. Clark writes:

"I was in Longs in Moreno Valley today and saw the new 2004 Model
Railroader Calendar. Our esteemed Mike Brock has a beautiful photo in
it. Great work, Mike, and congratulations."
I do? First I knew of it. Do you suppose there's another Mike
Brock out there and...no, even my imagination can't bring that up.
Still, you'd think they might have mentioned it...or...gulp...sent me
one. Guess I'll have to get one [ maybe ten? ] somewhere...need to
know what day it is, you know. Does it include a frt car? Hate to be
out of line here.

Mike Brock
Mike-

It was shrink-rapped, so I didn't look inside, just at the thumbnails
on the back. It appeared to be a photo of your engine terminal.

Walt

jaley <jaley@...>

On Aug 31, 12:13pm, Mike Brock wrote:
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Photo in 2004 Model Railroader Calendar
Walter M. Clark writes:

"I was in Longs in Moreno Valley today and saw the new 2004 Model
Railroader Calendar. Our esteemed Mike Brock has a beautiful photo in
it. Great work, Mike, and congratulations."
<Sigh> I'm not sure how Mike is able to sleep at night -- I understand he
keeps a copy of each of his magazine articles under his pillow! Now poor
Mike will have to add a calendar to the pile of magazines.

I remember a long time ago, people started writing to MR about
"too much Malcomb Furlow". Perhaps we should write letters complaining of
"too much Mike Brock".

Naah. If he weren't a nice guy, I'd do it, but since he is, I
guess I'll have to settle for being envious.

:-)

Regards,

-Jeff

--
Jeff Aley jaley@...
DPG Chipsets Product Engineering

Richard Hendrickson

Jeff Aley writes:

I remember a long time ago, people started writing to MR about
"too much Malcomb Furlow". Perhaps we should write letters complaining of
"too much Mike Brock".
No, Jeff, we still need to write letters complaining about too much Malcolm
Furlow. I thought he'd ridden off into the sunset, but I notice he's back
in the pages of MR, and ANY Macolm Furlow is TOO MUCH Malcolm Furlow.
Let's request more from Mike Brock and other contributors to this list. I
get the impression that Andy is the only prototype modeler left in Waukesha.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

asychis@...

In a message dated 9/3/2003 9:41:30 AM Central Standard Time,
cvlk@... writes:

Writing to Model Railroader to include articles on freight cars of the
caliber that this list is interested in instead of Malcom Furlow is like
writing to Better Homes and Gardens to include more articles on dropping a
new trans in your Corvette.... it ain't going to happen.
Hmmm, is there proof of this? Have list members submitted articles for
publication and had them rejected? I'm not doubting that this may be the case,
but I'd like to see some evidence that this is the actual practice in MR.

Jerry Michels

asychis@...

In a message dated 9/3/2003 10:57:58 AM Central Standard Time, atsf@...
writes:

There is much evidence that MR will do the following; buy articles that
never see the light of day, or buy articles that are published years later.
At least with the other mags you know they will be published in a reasonable
timeframe. I would never send MR anything within the contract reading "will
be published within 12 months".
Another minor problem is they rewrite all articles so the original
author might not even recognize it was their work<G>!
I was looking more for outright rejection of certain content, not publication
schedules. Regarding rewriting, I take it that that is their policy to make.
I've had articles in Mainline and RMC that were editorially changed, usually
for the better. Editorial changes would be typical for 99.9% of all
magazines, journals, books, etc. That's just the nature of publishing.

Jerry Michels

Charlie Vlk

Writing to Model Railroader to include articles on freight cars of the
caliber that this list is interested in instead of Malcom Furlow is like
writing to Better Homes and Gardens to include more articles on dropping a
new trans in your Corvette.... it ain't going to happen.
MR is MR.... a general interest magazine run by corporate concensus with
heavy overide by the marketing people. While I
would like to see them have more content based on their 75 (???) years of
archived prototype information instead of phlights of phantasy philler
material, they don't have people on staff that have the knowledge or
curiosity to reseach and write really solid articles anymore.
There is hope as Trains magazine seems to be going in the right direction,
but time will tell.
In the meantime submit to the specialty mags that understand the material
and will be happy to have it to publish it.
Charlie Vlk

Stephanie Miller <atsf@...>

Have list members submitted articles for
publication and had them rejected? I'm not doubting that this may be the
case,
but I'd like to see some evidence that this is the actual practice in MR.<
There is much evidence that MR will do the following; buy articles that
never see the light of day, or buy articles that are published years later.
At least with the other mags you know they will be published in a reasonable
timeframe. I would never send MR anything within the contract reading "will
be published within 12 months".
Another minor problem is they rewrite all articles so the original
author might not even recognize it was their work<G>!

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief/Zephyr systems
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Dave Nelson <muskoka@...>

From: Tim O'Connor [mailto:timoconnor@...]

If you're not an RPM in your heart,
reading Mainline Modeler's not going to change you.

This is a *very* interesting thought. I'm not sure it's correct tho but it
may well be. I started buying MR at age 11 -- that summer included _The Art
of Model Railroading_ by Frank Ellison. I dunno at this date whether Frank
was or was not what we'd now recognize as a prototype modeler (considering
the limitations of his day) but to this 11 year old he successfully conveyed
that a particular way of model railroading was more similar to real
railroads than all the alternatives other people were espousing. John Allen
was also writing stuff then -- about fast clocks as I recall -- and there
was his photography that so skillfully offered another
alternative-to-the-norm. Not really realistic but vastly more realisitic
than the other stuff in print.

Now back to Tim's point: was I already a RPM or were these authors creating
a POV that would only become visible decades later? I dunno.

Dave Nelson

Benjamin Frank Hom <b.hom@...>

Jerry Michels wrote:
By the way, just for grins, how many on this list started in model
railroading by reading MR?

MR and RMC were the only magazines carried by bookstores and hobby shops
while I was growing up in Southwest Florida, and I read both as a teenager.
Even then, the early RPI articles and the Protofile series in RMC started to
get me thinking about more realistic models. Then I got selected for a Navy
ROTC scholarship, got turned down by MIT and accepted by RPI in 1985, and
the rest is history.

Ben Hom

Charlie Vlk

Thinking about this thread I want to clarify that I don't feel that MR is
"Model Railroading for Idiots" or even for the dreaded Vesties....
my take on MR is that it is a general circulation magazine that should not
be expected to print paragraphs of esoterica that (we on) this list are
concerned with.....
MR is a professional, albeit market-driven corporate, publication that is
IMHO indispensable to the Hobby, and in spite of the occasional
Sellios/Furlow they still do Good Things in every issue.
Just because MR is not the best or proper forum for Steam Era Frieght Car
Modeling and other magazines are does not diminish its value to us....we
still need locomotives and track, without the MR audience we might not have
as many goodies....
Charlie Vlk