Intermountain composite gon

Glenn Joppich <gjopp@...>

Hi Guys,

I was cleaning up in the shop and ran across an old kit I never finished. It is an Intermountain USRA composite drop bottom gondola, NYC 349691. I bought it because I liked the idea of the real wood sides and wanted to leave it as an open car. Unfortunately there is no weight block for it and it's light as a feather. I wasn't able to find any weights thin enough to work so it went on the back burner.

I went on Intermountain web site and saw that Reboxx makes weights for this car but now, with my new prototype blinders, I'm wondering how this car stacks up.

Thanks for the input

Glenn Joppich
Redford,MI

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Glenn Joppich wrote:
I was cleaning up in the shop and ran across an old kit I never
finished. It is an Intermountain USRA composite drop bottom gondola,
NYC 349691. I bought it because I liked the idea of the real wood
sides and wanted to leave it as an open car. Unfortunately there is
no weight block for it and it's light as a feather. I wasn't able to
find any weights thin enough to work so it went on the back burner.
I went on Intermountain web site and saw that Reboxx makes weights
for this car but now, with my new prototype blinders, I'm wondering
how this car stacks up.

NYC received 250 USRA composite gons from AC&F in 1918 in Lot 389-G,
NYC 349500-349749. Cars were renumbered to NYC 658500-658749 (drop
bottom) or NYC 623500-623749 (fixed bottom) All cars were rebuilt to
all-steel gons in 1937 (Funaro Nos. 6600 and 6601, originally
marketed by Central Hobby Supply in their "West Shore Line" of kits.)

NYC information is from Terry Link's CASO website:
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/NYC-MODELS-FREIGHT.htm

I haevn't seen this specific kit, but judging from the car number,
I'm assuming it's in the as-delivered scheme. If it is, it's good
for you if you model the early 1920s. If you model post-1937, one
option would be to replace the wood side inserts with styrene to
model a PRR Class G24 car rebuilt with steel sides.
http://prr.railfan.net/freight/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=g24-b.gif&fr=cl

I haven't seen the Reboxx weights, but if it turns out that they're
too obtrusive, you can always model the car with a load to solve the
weight problem.

Ben Hom

Andrew S. Miller <asmiller@...>

I built one and they are very nice. I love the wooden sides. I added
weight to mine by putting sheet lead under the wooden floor. Its not
quite up to the NMRA snuff, but quite adequate to keep the car on the
track, especially since its a low center of gravity car.

Regards,

Andrew S. Miller

benjaminfrank_hom wrote:

Glenn Joppich wrote:
[...]

asychis@...

Getting back to the composite gon itself, does anyone know if the C&S or FtW&
D had any of these cars, and would they have lasted into the 1940-50s with
wooden sides? I know the CB&Q did, but would like to know number series for an
of the sub's cars. Thanks.

Jerry Michels

Jim Scott

I have five of the Intermountain composite gondolas
made as the convention car in San Jose. I found out
with the original weight that comes with the car that
the car is too lite. I added the sugar beet load from
Chooch and combined with the original weight and metal
wheel sets, it comes right up to the NMRA suggested
weight. I have also done the same with the Red
Caboose composite gons that I have. The Chooch load
and metal wheel sets make the weight of the car right
on.

Jim Scott
Lompoc, CA

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

On Thursday, September 25, 2003, at 02:32 PM, CalifCoast wrote:

I added the sugar beet load from
Chooch and combined with the original weight and metal
wheel sets, it comes right up to the NMRA suggested
weight. I have also done the same with the Red
Caboose composite gons that I have. The Chooch load
and metal wheel sets make the weight of the car right
on.
I don't know...might look a bit odd to see sugar beets in a NYC gon, or on my layout rolling east from Enola <VBG>!!

Of course the other problem is the one Ben pointed out. By WWII many of these cars had been rebuilt with steel sides (e.g. all of the PRR cars). I know that the PRR car I have is in the shops awaiting new sides (IIRC Mont Switzer did an article on the PRR gons in MM a few years ago)!

Happy Rails
Bruce

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Bruce Smith wrote:
"Of course the other problem is the one Ben pointed out. By WWII
many of these cars had been rebuilt with steel sides (e.g. all of the
PRR cars)."

The main reason why I suggested the Pennsy G24 rebuilds was that PRR
simply replaced the wood sides with metal, retaining the carbody
truss. The NYC rebuilds look like they were built new as steel gons.

"I know that the PRR car I have is in the shops awaiting new
sides (IIRC Mont Switzer did an article on the PRR gons in MM a few
years ago)!"

"Class G-24 USRA Gondola Rebuild," Mainline Modeler, February 2001
page 73.

Ben Hom

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Ben Hom quoted from http://index.mrmag.com:
"Class G-24 USRA Gondola Rebuild," Mainline Modeler, February 2001
page 73.

The dash in "G-24" is Hundman's, not mine.

Ben Hom
NO DASHES in PRR car classes...

Don Valentine

Quoting benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>:

The main reason why I suggested the Pennsy G24 rebuilds was that PRR
simply replaced the wood sides with metal, retaining the carbody
truss. The NYC rebuilds look like they were built new as steel gons.

Well, Ben, it's kind of what the old fellers mean when they say there is a
right way and a wrong way, or quick and dirty way, to do something! <VBG>
Ain't that right Andy Miller!

Take care, Don Valentine

thompson@...

Jim Scott said:
I have five of the Intermountain composite gondolas
made as the convention car in San Jose. I found out
with the original weight that comes with the car that
the car is too lite. I added the sugar beet load from
Chooch...
If you know of any evidence these USRA gons EVER carried sugar beets,
Jim, I'd like to know of it. To the best of my knowledge, prior to the 1948
arrival of the composite GS gons, Blackburn beet racks were used for this
crop; and before the Blackburn there was a more primitive flat-car rack
used.
That said, of course, the USRAs would fit nicely into the LOOK of a beet
train of a later era...<g>

Jim Scott

Tony,

Getting the cars as a gift from the San Jose NMRA meet
from a friend of mine (all 5),they were the first I
built. If you remember, IM put them out special and
lettered them for SP. I know they aren't really SP
cars and they (SP) wouldn't carry sugar beets in them
when they had the GS-23 cars. I figure that I can use
them on "my railroad" with the GS-23 cars and they
would look okay to a "novice." By using them, I also
learned that the beet load for the RC car is really
for the car with the extensions and not for the
original car they put without the extensions. I am
now using the loads built for the IM cars in the
balance of my RC cars and the weight still works out
the same but the load looks better because I can place
it below the sides of the car. I am running seven RC
cars and five IM cars plus seven stock cars behind a
Rivarossi Cab Forward with an IHC mogul pushing behind
the last stock car and ahead of a modified MDC
caboose. The guys at the Club really like it and it
was a big hit at our last open house. Am wondering
how it will look behind a BL cab forward which I have
on order... (Can also use my two FM Trainmasters if
they aren't working on the weekend pulling commuters).
I know this isn't proto but for right now as I
continue to develop my ability to build and find the
proper equipment, I am learning and improving building
and will someday tackle the Westerfield resin stock
car kits I have.

Jim Scott
Lompoc, CA.
--- thompson@... wrote:

If you know of any evidence these USRA gons EVER
carried sugar beets,
Jim, I'd like to know of it. To the best of my
knowledge, prior to the 1948
arrival of the composite GS gons, Blackburn beet
racks were used for this
crop; and before the Blackburn there was a more
primitive flat-car rack
used.
That said, of course, the USRAs would fit nicely
into the LOOK of a beet
train of a later era...<g>

http://shopping.yahoo.com

thompson@...

Getting the cars as a gift from the San Jose NMRA meet
from a friend of mine (all 5),they were the first I
built. If you remember, IM put them out special and
lettered them for SP. I know they aren't really SP
cars...
Yes, Richard Hendrickson and I put together the lettering info for
Intermountain to do those cars, so I definitely do remember. And sure, they
were absolutely SP cars. See photo in SP Frt. Cars Vol. 1. That photo even
demonstrates that Richard and I got the lettering right.

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Jim Scott wrote:
If you remember, IM put them out special and
lettered them for SP. I know they aren't really SP
cars...

They really are SP cars - SP 45904-46153 (ex-EP&SW 11251-11500).

Ben Hom

Montford Switzer <ZOE@...>

Ben: I'm pretty sure the "dash" is mine, not Hundman's. I seem to
recall submitting it that way and approving the proof with it also. At
that time I had no knowledge to the contrary although, thanks to your
efforts, I do now.

Also, if you read the article carefully you will note that you can't
just put new side panels in and get an accurate model. You need to deal
with rivets at the bottom of the panels where they were secured to the
sides.

Lastly, I ignored any interior detail when adding the new side panels.
I took the easy way out the put a line in the car. If you don't it will
look pretty smooth in there.

The InterMountain car is a nice model that is easy to work with and I
look forward to using it for other projects.

Mont Switzer

"Class G-24 USRA Gondola Rebuild," Mainline Modeler, February 2001
page 73.

The dash in "G-24" is Hundman's, not mine.

Ben Hom
NO DASHES in PRR car classes...

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

h81644 <H81644@...>

Hi Folks,

Anyone make decals for the SP cars. When did SP buy out the EP&SW?
Decals?

George Walls

--- In STMFC@..., "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@w...> wrote:
Jim Scott wrote:
If you remember, IM put them out special and
lettered them for SP. I know they aren't really SP
cars...

They really are SP cars - SP 45904-46153 (ex-EP&SW 11251-11500).

Ben Hom

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

George Walls asked:
"When did SP buy out the EP&SW?"

November 1, 1924.
http://home.swbell.net/lwsumner/history.htm

Ben Hom

h81644 <H81644@...>

Tony,
Is there anyone making decals for these cars. I have about 19 of
them that I need to letter.

Thanks,
George

--- In STMFC@..., thompson@s... wrote:
Getting the cars as a gift from the San Jose NMRA meet
from a friend of mine (all 5),they were the first I
built. If you remember, IM put them out special and
lettered them for SP. I know they aren't really SP
cars...
Yes, Richard Hendrickson and I put together the lettering info
for
Intermountain to do those cars, so I definitely do remember. And
sure, they
were absolutely SP cars. See photo in SP Frt. Cars Vol. 1. That
photo even
demonstrates that Richard and I got the lettering right.

2942 Linden Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
http://www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@s...

Jim Scott

If you are lettering for SP, the number is SHS-144
from Champ.

Jim Scott
Lompoc, CA

--- In STMFC@..., thompson@s... wrote:
Getting the cars as a gift from the San Jose NMRA
meet
from a friend of mine (all 5),they were the first
built. If you remember, IM put them out special
and
lettered them for SP. I know they aren't really
SP
cars...
Yes, Richard Hendrickson and I put together the
lettering info
for
Intermountain to do those cars, so I definitely do
remember. And
sure, they
were absolutely SP cars. See photo in SP Frt. Cars
Vol. 1. That
photo even
demonstrates that Richard and I got the lettering
right.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press,
Berkeley, CA
2942 Linden Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
http://www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail,
thompson@s...
Publishers of books on railroads and on Western
history

http://shopping.yahoo.com

thompson@...

If you are lettering for SP, the number is SHS-144
from Champ.
Those decals, however, are not for the USRA gondolas (dimensionally etc.)